Review - Paul Gauguin 8/22/07

Iamboatman

I am sorry......but if we are paying 5-6+ K for 11 days ....I do have expectations !!!!! I expect the food to be great at every meal , I expect staff to be cordial, I expect nice towels etc.

Would you pay $5000.00 for a $2000,00 car???

Would you pay $5000.00 for a diamond ring for your wife and be happy when you find out that the insurance appraiser says it's only worth $1500.00????? etc etc

I may be old fashioned but if something is Marketed as 6 star cruising... for the money.... it had better live up to the hipe !!!!!

Once again I do not disagree with you, however, there must be a reality check for if we all were to just listen to the marketing hype forums like Cruise Critic and travel agents that actually know what they are talking about would have no reason to exist.

I am not defending Regent's marketing (I never have!), but a $50 used bicycle in the US might cost $500 in Tahiti. Is it worth it? If you really want that bicycle it is.

My point is - and has been for a long time - that you need to deal with reality not marketing and, based upon same, determine if the value is there. Personally I cannot justify Regent's prices (especially compared to say Seabourn) for a European cruise, but I don't find Regent's pricing for the PG to be offensive taking into account the type of experience I now personally know exists.

I could have cruised on the Tahitian Princess in an owner's suite (and I actually had one booked at one point), but I am more than happy that I made the decision to go on the PG. The overall cruise experience was one of the best I have ever had...and that is worth more to me than you can imagine.

OK Eric

I get your point.

I will arrive with an open mind and hope that I have as good an experience as you did.

Who knows I may just become a "who cares if the food was so so ...it is paradise after all !!!!!!" convert. :D

We dined in all the restaurants. We dined in La Veranda when we wanted a more intimate dining experience. The lighting was lower, and the restaurant smaller than L'Etoile. We celebrated our anniversary in La Veranda and also ate there the last night of the cruise. We were happy with the food we had there, including a beef filet which was quite good. What was surprising to us was that the menu never changed over the course of the 10 day cruise. I would imagine that in order to keep the numbers down, they chose to leave the menu the same. However, it probably would have been fine to change the menu in the middle of the cruise. We also ate in La Veranda a lot for lunch. It is a buffet lunch which had a different culture / nationality theme each day for lunch. The blinds are open and you have a wonderful view while you eat. The waitstaff in La Veranda were wonderful.

We ate in Le Grill twice for dinner, and had lunch there once or twice. It is up on deck, is covered overhead, but is open to the deck on the port and starboard side of the ship. We really liked the menu, but it also did not change over the course of the cruise. The waitstaff again was excellent. What we were a little less happy about was the nights we ate there were when we were underway. A storm came up one night and it was like eating in a windtunnel. It was as close to roughing it as you can get on this cruise -- which is to say, not very close. I agree with the other posters who say the best time to get a reservation in Le Grill is on a night in port. We waited too long to get a reservation and could only do it on nights at sea. However, my wife and I decided that we would look at it as an adventure, and we even enjoyed dinner in the windtunnel.

If you like room service, we also tried that for each meal and were very happy with both the menu and the food. For dinner, you can have both what is on the room service menu, which is pretty extensive, and what is in L'Etoile, provided you order it during the 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. time period when L'Etoile is serving dinner. Otherwise, you can order from the room service menu alone 24 hours a day.

Is sit down service offered on the PG for breakfast and lunch or is it just buffets now? I was on the PG in March 03 and I can assure you I did not have buffets for either breakfast of lunch if I could help it (meaning they may have been offered - but if sit down service was an option - I took that option every time).

Breakfast and lunch are primarily a buffet, but there was a selection of about six things that could be ordered from the kitchen for lunch. I ordered from the menu one day at lunch so that I could try the fish of the day (moon fish). However, I liked the buffet selections and supplemented the fish with those instead of what normally came with the fish.

Degas,

I do not disagree with your sentiment, but I also have to say that there is a certain something that made me not be as affected by the problems(and I am very critical - and have been flamed for it). That is why I said for this particular cruise "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts."

Last summer's cruise on the Navigator was one of my worst cruises ever. The small things were exacerbated by the crew and staff issues and failings. On the PG they were relegated to "This ain't gonna ruin an otherwise great day in Paradise with such wonderful people around me."

Estelle and Laura (AOTE) made my day and my kid's day...every day. Dionne's introductions were fresh and genuine. Franco and Noel's greetings were perfect. My wife's thrill after her horseback ride and her massages were wonderful.The Gauguines' sourness and a threadbare towel were just not that important to me (though I let y'all know about them, for sure.)

At Motu Mahana the food was OK. The BBQ was chicken, fish kebabs or minute steak. Not really impressive. Nor was the hokey floating bar, but for whatever reason it all worked...and I was happy with my rum punch filled coconut with a nice beach chair and a bit of snorkeling. In fact, it seemed everyone was happy. So what is to be gained or potentially improved upon with an unrealistic expectations of better food? A better day probably could not have been had.

To be sure, as I have suggested in other posts, I lowered my expectations so I was not as disappointed as I was on the Navigator. Call it "improper but expected" and the disappointment dissipates. I have gotten over Regent's marketing blitz and fabricated "6 star" rating. I just no longer expect what Regent says it will provide, but rely upon experience - and this board among others - to accurately tell me what I realistically will get for my money. (For example, Regent has never impressed me with its food. Celebrity exceeds Regent in my opinion and Seabourn just blows Regent away...but I knew that going in and did not expect anything different, and that was not why I took this cruise. It would have been an issue if I expected more, but...)

I most certainly do not want to turn this positive thread negative. Net: I received an excellent, if imperfect, experience that as long as others keep the misses in perspective they too will have a wonderful time.

Does that make sense?

Thank you so much for your review! I found it very helpful. My husband and I have been thinking about a 10 day on PG for fall 2008. For us, being in this island chain is what is important. We are not wealthy and the cruise fare is a very significant expense (not to mention air fare, pre & post arrangements, etc.). We want to spend our vacation money wisely and your review will be helpful in our decision making. Thank you for the balanced perspective.

Did you say you originated in New Jersey? That makes for a very long trip! Hope you are rested.:)

Since the subject of tipping has come up in this thread (I know there have been other threads devoted to it), I feel very confused about the whole thing. We are told that tips are not expected and this is one of the great things about Regent. Yes, it's nice to recognize someone who has gone above and beyond, so we wrote a note to "management" mentioning certain staff members by name. Now I'm feeling like we should have also left a monetary thank you as well. There were truly some exceptional staff on our cruise (especially wait and bar staff) and I'm wondering if they felt short changed?

My sister and I were on the Mariner in June to Alaska. We had some excellent service from staff members, same waiter every night and in the bar. We decided to give a little extra and I must say the staff were very appreciative because they all have families that they are supporting and a way from, for a long contract time. We felt it was the thing to do and we were glad we did. Now when my husband and I were on the Mariner in April we did not give any extra. It just depends on the situation. Mentioning names it also great. These staff members in no way expect to receive anything additional. Just two sisters traveling together got a lot of special attention and we just wanted to say a little extra thank you.:p:)

To expand on the concerns expressed about Les Gaugines perceived attitude. Perhaps, and this is just my opinion, there is a reason why the ship is not staffed with polynesians. Our experience at the resorts on the islands is that service is provided with island time in mind. Everyone is cordial, however they don't hover and cater to you. Similarly, maybe Les Gaugines represent a little bit of the polynesian culture which is different from ours. Like I said before, some of the young ladies take a shine to a passenger and really open up, but that seems not to be the rule. We felt the same way about the staffs at the resorts we have stayed at. I figure I am a guest at their home so give them the benefit of the doubt.

I also guess we all have a definition of "luxury" we are looking for. The PG in French Polynesia is mine.

Boatman:

I enjoyed your review, and understand it. We have cruised this ship four times since 2002. From that perspecitve, I agree that food quality varies, possibly due to the problems of supplying the ship in such a remote location. Also, the quality of Les Gauguines varies, as there is a bit of turn-over among their ranks. The change to a single room steward happened a couple or three years back, and has NOT been for the better, I agree.

I am not sure whether I agree with your opinion that RSSC (as a whole) is not a true luxury cruise line, but I do agree that the Paul Gauguin is not what one thinks of as a true luxury cruise experience. It is in a bit of a class by itself, IMO. In this regard, it is worth noting that the fares for the PG have (as a rule) become much lower than other RSSC cruises. There didn't seem to be that much of a variance.

I didn't see your comments of any of the ship's offered excursions beyond the few you mentioned. Did you take any, and how were they?

I'm also a bit curious as to what exactly the "snake oil salesman lecturer" did.

Thanks,

Richard

Hi Kath:

Thanks for your nice comments. It is appreciated.

Yes, it was a long trip, but making a stop in Hawaii for the day where we could all get a good sleep and a nice dinner before flying back to New Jersey worked out very well.

I would encourage you to take the 10 day cruise. Seven days would been too rushed and the 14 day itineraries are not fantastic...and it is the limit of the ship's provisioning capabilities.

Given a choice I would avoid the porthole cabins and go for a window if on a budget, spending a bit less on the pre-cruise hotel (highly recommended, especially after hearing a number of passengers complaining about being in a fog for the first two days) - i.e. a lesser room in a better hotel. If a porthole is required, I would recommend as far aft as possible. (Forward wasn't good, midship is across from the gangway.)

Good luck and happy planning.

Granted we have only been on 2 cruises in our lives(The PG 10/06 and the Mariner 3/07) but I have to say we enjoyed the PG much more than the Mariner. The crew was exceptional on the PG. We thought the Mariner's crew was haughty and not as friendly. Yes, the food on the Mariner was better but it is a larger ship and has local ports to restock. Unless, you are a real foodie, the PG's food is good.(this,of course, a personal opinion but I thought neither had great desserts-I'm a dessert foodie).

We will be on the PG again for the 12/10 cruise and are curious to see if we encounter any major + or - changes.

I agree that the pool is a joke. Getting a chair pool side was not a problem. The ship does not have sun shelters on the sides of the pool;only at the forward sides. However, most of the time I found something in the shade.

We were on deck 4 on the PG and found the room and the towels just fine. This time we were upgraded to deck 6(same room just different deck).

I have heard that the Princess is pulling out of parts of Tahiti(totally hearsay) so who can say what the Regent will do.

Egret, I think you've got a point. The Polynesians are friendly people, and we've had great service at some hotels, and in one case a very warm, genuine one. But they aren't really that service-oriented overall, it's true. Of course, the excursion desk on the PG is now run by a Polynesian, I believe, a graduate from the Gauguines (Raina?), and she is great.

Plus the Gauguines are "talent", although they double doing duty at tender points, etc. Which makes them stand apart a bit, like Siglo. But we've always had very friendly encounters with them.

Cruisedreamer, did you not try the "Bounty"? A dessert offered one night. Exceptional. Cake, with chocolate slices made into the ship. Or the Tahitian vanilla creme brulee!

Boatman:

I enjoyed your review, and understand it. We have cruised this ship four times since 2002. From that perspecitve, I agree that food quality varies, possibly due to the problems of supplying the ship in such a remote location. Also, the quality of Les Gauguines varies, as there is a bit of turn-over among their ranks. The change to a single room steward happened a couple or three years back, and has NOT been for the better, I agree.

I am not sure whether I agree with your opinion that RSSC (as a whole) is not a true luxury cruise line, but I do agree that the Paul Gauguin is not what one thinks of as a true luxury cruise experience. It is in a bit of a class by itself, IMO. In this regard, it is worth noting that the fares for the PG have (as a rule) become much lower than other RSSC cruises. There didn't seem to be that much of a variance.

I didn't see your comments of any of the ship's offered excursions beyond the few you mentioned. Did you take any, and how were they?

I'm also a bit curious as to what exactly the "snake oil salesman lecturer" did.

Thanks,

Richard

The changeover to no assistant stewards/desses was about 3 years ago and it was bad then, but better yet still not good now. I was frustrated then, but now feel the stewardesses are competent or better (some much better) but clearly they are stretched.

You are also right about provisioning in French Polynesia. I spoke with the chef about that and the costs are very high. (Example: Regent just started to fly watermelons in from the US because they cost 1/4 the amount in Tahiti.) Also the ship doesn't order most of the provisions, as it is done by management. That leaves very little "wiggle room". However a good chef crew can make hot and tasty food with a little bit of creativity regardless of the obstacles. (BTW, the food wasn't bad, just not consistently hot and never memorable.)

I also agree that the lower and mid priced cabins on the PG are very good value. I think the Grand Suite, for example, was way overpriced and very unimpressive. My friends however enjoyed it (save the rocking and rolling) and had no real complaints; noting they did enjoy the butler.

A number of the excursions were similar to the AOTE ones, just without the Cousteau people and were larger groups. I never heard anyone complain...not once...about a tour. I also heard positive things from the divers onboard. The tour/travel desk really did a great job.

The "other" lecturer was "discussing" the use of metal artificial reef structures charged with electricity as a way to quickly cause reefs to form especially near the hotels where there are no reefs. Without getting into all the details, and not donning my marine biology hat too much, he had many conflicting statements about a system that is unproven, has no university or research support and chose to softly seek investors through "free" tours to see and participate in a local project (not through RSSC). Example: He states correctly that if there is a reef the fish will find it and remain, but then he has a "program" to catch developing reef fish (taking them out of their and the established reef's ecology), raising them and then having tourists release them into these barren areas as if these fish will somehow stick around (they won't...because there is no reef!)...while the supposedly growing corals need sea urchins in order to remain vital and there is no program to introduce these less tourist friendly animals. I will now step off my soapbox!

Egret, I think you've got a point. The Polynesians are friendly people, and we've had great service at some hotels, and in one case a very warm, genuine one. But they aren't really that service-oriented overall, it's true. Of course, the excursion desk on the PG is now run by a Polynesian, I believe, a graduate from the Gauguines (Raina?), and she is great.

Plus the Gauguines are "talent", although they double doing duty at tender points, etc. Which makes them stand apart a bit, like Siglo. But we've always had very friendly encounters with them.

quote]

There are no Guaguines that are part of the excursion desk. I believe the one you speak of retired and was on the last day in Tahiti talking about everyday life on the island. She did seem very nice for the new minutes I listened in.

Kristin:

I asked JM what his long range plans were, and it sounds like he wants to keep working on the ship. My guess would be that he will still be there when you go. People like JM made the cruise a memorable experience.

Ralph

There are no Guaguines that are part of the excursion desk. I believe the one you speak of retired and was on the last day in Tahiti talking about everyday life on the island. She did seem very nice for the new minutes I listened in.

I'm talking about the head of the excursion desk. She was a Polynesian. Perhaps not now. And she was a "retired" Gauguine, or promoted, if you like. That was 2005. She was working the desk then, and later I heard she had been promoted to head the excursion department. Perhaps she's not there now.

Archived