HAL newbie questions

mexico5

Hi, we have only been on one cruise and that was with Princess Star and we LOVED it and now want to cruise again. Now that HAL has the new dining As You Wish, we are now deciding between HAL and Princess.

Just a couple of questions for you HAL experts:

We are looking at Eurodam Nov.2008 E. Caribbean and noticed that it is not built yet. I really would like to read reviews and see photos before booking, but I would not want it to be sold out. Any opinions on another HAL ship that would be most similar for me to look at? Any opinions on choosing a ship that hasn't gotten the bugs out of it(is that the saying?)

Also, we had a mini suite on Princess and would like to know if anyone has sailed both and what would be comparable to the mini suite category in HAL? I hear the regular balcony rooms are about the same size as Princess mini's, is that true?

Sorry, last question, I have read all the comparisons between the two lines and the thing that stands out the most is that HAL is a little older and quieter. We have to say, although in our late 30's, would prefer a quiet, non party ship. We thought Princess Star was just perfect, but are anxious to try something else too. The only deal breaker we have is that we have no tablemates and have a table for 2 at night. We liked anytime dining on Princess and are hoping HAL is comparable with that. Are there tables for 2? We don't mind waiting at all either.

Thanks so much!

We are in our late 30's and have always enjoyed HAL. The Balcony suites in the Vista class ships (closest to the new Eurodam) are approx. 254 sq feet of which about 50ft is balcony. VA's generally have the most balcony space, and the higher letters (VF, etc.) have less balcony or a restricted view (non pexiglass wall).

We find HAL very relaxing. There are rare tables for two and you have multiple dining options including the main dining room, the Lido, room service and the Pinnacle Grill (extra charge of $30 pp at dinner).

Take a look at the Vista class ships at HAL, The Oosterdam, Noordam, Zuiderdam and Westerdam. They are the closest in design to the new Eurodam, although there are some differences, primarily in the public spaces.

There are tables for two on HAL ships. We have had one for years.

As to stateroom size, I can't say specifically, but HAL staterooms are generally larger than those on Princess.

The Eurodam promises to be a beautiful new ship. I hope you sail on her and have a great time. We will be coming along not too far behind you.

Hi, thanks for the help! After debating yesterday over HAL vs Princess, we decided to book Princess for 2008. We did this because we would like to read reviews and see "real people" photos of the ship and Eurodam has not been built yet. We will for sure be taking HAL the year after, especially since they have tables for two and when you wish dining! I will be back on these boards for our next cruise on HAL!

Archived