Spirit August 18th/September 1st

shefinch

We have just completed 2 weeks on the Spirit from Athens to Rome and wanted to post a few thoughts.

Service and food were, as usual, excellent and Karl (Maitre d') and Oliver (Bar Manager the second week) were outstanding. We were delighted to see Sophie as we haven't sailed with her for a while. She was the Bar Manager for the first week and filling in for Craig the second week as Sommelier, fulfilling both roles with her customary excellence. As usual, the weak point of the cruise was the entertainment.

The itinerary was wonderful apart from the weather while we were in Catania and Lipari, where the temperatures reached over 40 degrees. Some days, there were terrific problems getting on and off the tenders, due to the swell, and in fact one passenger was injured and had to have stitches in her forehead.

The new non-smoking policy in the Club (apart from 4 tables on the right near the piano) is a great improvement as it leaves the bar and enclosed area completely smokefree. (Not sure how this is going to go down on the Legend for the crossing assuming the same policy is in effect as the bar is the area where all the smokers congregate!)

Enjoyed meeting several fellow CCers including DMB707 (hi deb), Eskangas and although he was travelling "under cover" (we think) Lord of the Seas (hello John).

All in all, a wonderful cruise. We particularly enjoyed the BBQ and Rock the Boat on a barmy evening sailing along the coast of Sicily and then through the Straits of Messina.

Can't wait to get back on board. Only 2 months to wait until the Legend crossing!

Shelagh and Larry

PS Deb - Maybe you can add your thoughts to this?

Shelagh and Larry,

Thanks for the review of your cruise. I wish they could clone Karl and have him on all three ships. I was not aware of the new smoking policy in the bar. I certainly hope it is in effect on the Legend for the crossing as I have always felt a bit deprived not being able to sit in that area due to smoking. Hard to believe the crossing is coming up so soon.

Hi Shelagh & Larry

What more can I add to your review apart from that I had a fabulous cruise, with superb service both in the restaurants and the bars, I would have loved to take Oliver home with me, I am sure he has a twin on board as he was everywhere and so thoughtful.

It was lovely to meet all the fellow CC's on board and lots of new friends as well, so hi to everyone.

I wish i was on the crossing with you all in November as having withdrawal symptons and only been back 4 days!! can't wait to be on board again.

Some very nice ports of call, loved the Truillis trip from Monopoli really worth doing for anyone doing the same agenda.

Shame that we did not get to have any Marina days, the first one was cancelled due to rough weather, which as you say also caused a lot of problems with the tenders, which i have never experienced before.

deb

I can't either and I can't believe I won't be on it!

Smoking or non smoking, I just won't be on it. That's for sure!

I would love to be on the Legend crossing if everybody was smoking including myself; I'm just angry.

Have a wonderful Legendary crossing!

Keep the spirit; I will try to keep the legendary pride.

Archived