Radiance question - back of the ship

Hi,

Were new to the Radiance and are booking a guarantee room vs an assigned that is in the back of the ship. This is because on other ships we have felt engine vibration when traveling at top speed and having the aft rooms. Can anyone who has done a trans-atlantic or trans-pacific in an aft facing room on the Radiance tell me if in your experience you could feel the engine vibrations?

Overall we've only read good things about the ship so are really looking forward to it.

Thanks,

Michelle

I have not felt any engine vibration in the aft cabins on the Radiance class. They are absolutely some of the most popular (if not the most popular) cabins on the ship. I would absolutely take an aft cabin over a guarantee cabin anytime.

Thanks for the quick response. Were you on a trans-Atlantic or trans-Pacific? Those are the only types of cruises we have noticed the problem because they were running the ship at full speed (usually to make up time due to bad weather). When the ship is going slower I would agree you don't feel vibrations.

Thanks again!

Michelle

Thanks for the quick response. Were you on a trans-Atlantic or trans-Pacific? Those are the only types of cruises we have noticed the problem because they were running the ship at full speed (usually to make up time due to bad weather). When the ship is going slower I would agree you don't feel vibrations.

Thanks again!

Michelle

I'm another who experienced terrible vibrations on a transatlantic in an aft stateroom. Although it was on Celebrity Constellation and not a Radiance Class ship. I have been told that the Radiance Class ships do not have the vibrating problems in the aft of the ship on transatlantics.

Radiance class ships still use electric azipods to drive the screws, but the generators are run by turbines, 2 gas turbines and one steam turbine, vice diesel generators. That might be why I felt no vibration at all in an aft balcony cabin. Hope that helps.

We did feel some "erratic motion" in the aft--not really a "vibration", but there was definitely something we felt that we had not notice more midships. The only time it bothered me was when trying to go to sleep. Once I drifted off, it wasn't bothersome, nor was it a problem during the day. It didn't happen all the time. Seas were not rough, so I don't know what caused it.

On a transAtlantic on Brilliance you could notice a vibration aft, but more annoying was going full speed as they do, into the waves, the stern has a tendency to pitch up and down and when it digs down into the waves there is more of a vibration. Being that those ships are equipped with azipods, the propeller part is about 50+ feet back under so some of the vibration is lessened by the time the wake reaches the true stern of the vessel. They are still some of the best cabins on the ship - never one to let a little movement move me out of one!:)

...so I guess I get to find out for myself.

Thanks for the input. It does sound like there will be vibration. I'm kind of bummed about that but maybe it won't be as bad as in the past. The other thing I haven't liked about aft cabins is the noise from the water where the engine or propellers or whatever is churning it up. Any input on that from those who have sailed Radiance?

Thanks,

Michelle

...so I guess I get to find out for myself.

Thanks for the input. It does sound like there will be vibration. I'm kind of bummed about that but maybe it won't be as bad as in the past. The other thing I haven't liked about aft cabins is the noise from the water where the engine or propellers or whatever is churning it up. Any input on that from those who have sailed Radiance?

Thanks,

Michelle

There was some wake noise when I was on her in March, but I wouldn't think of it as very noticeable, my wife and I had no trouble conversing and it wasn't bothersome while relaxing and reading on the balcony. Since the screws are relatively forward from what I'm used to (the screw on a sub is the last thing on the hull). Of course, it could have something to do with the fact that I was enjoying someone's aft 7th deck balcony for the cost of a 4th deck interior cabin. Someone didn't make it to the ship when the Northeast got socked in last March, so the upgrade fairy graced me.

We were on Radiance last month.. cabin 1600 deck 10.. corner aft... I noticed nothing... I LOVED the cabin and the balcony... will never cruise again without an aft.. ( Just booked another... corner aft !!)

I am so excited to hear from someone who had 1600...we have it next May to Alaska...any detail or picture would be so appreciated:)

Archived