How to dress for weather around South America?

Old Salty Dog

We expect a wide variation in the temperatures and weather when we take the Dream from Santiago to Buenos Aires in November. Would appreciate any comments about experiences from any who have taken a similar cruise. How cold around the tip? How rough were the seas? etc.

Old Salty Dog

Remember that the seasons in the southern hemisphere are the reverse of those in the north. November is spring and the weather around the horn will be moderate for all of your trip. If you arrive in Buenos Aires in late Nov, it may be warm. Spring and summer weather in BA is not unlike NYC.

It will be cool the further south you go. You will need layers to accomodate the changing temperatures. I used a fleece hoodie and a good windbbreaker. This gave me options all of which I needed. You will need this just not on deck but also on excursions out to the rookeries or other locations. Seas are not overly rough but the pacific side was worse than the Atlantic side. we had unusually calm (still choppy) seas when we did the Horn.

For the points North (ie., Valparaiso, Buenos Aires) the weather should be in the 80s so you'll want to dress approrpately for that).

The further South you go from these locations the cooler it will get and some places can be windy. We dress in layers. I would bring a waterproof coat, a fleece, a sweater, waterproof pants and waterproof shoes, gloves and a hat for the outdoors. You can wear what you need of this based on the weather conditions.

We have sailed this route multiple times and it is just beautiful. While there are more ships doing this route each year, there are still far less cruise lineships in these waters than Alaska.

Have a wonderful time on this cruise and please let us know if you have additional questions.

Keith

Makes perfect sense. If you have more questions about South America, please post them. It's a wonderful itinerary.

Keith

Hi Keith

Did you visit the penguins at Punta Arenas? If so what was the terrain like?

I believe you walk on boards, how far is it?

I have back problems, but also a lot of determination to see as much as possible!

Hi Keith

Did you visit the penguins at Punta Arenas? If so what was the terrain like?

I believe you walk on boards, how far is it?

I have back problems, but also a lot of determination to see as much as possible!

It is wonderful to see the Penguins in Punta Arenas. It is about a 60 minute drive from the port. Part of it is on a paved road and the other part is on a dirt road. You will see some other wildlife during the drive. When they drop you off the walk itself is a long loop. About 1 mile. If you tire you can always turn around. The terrain was fine. If I remember correctly a good portion of the walk is on wooden boards.

This is one to be sure to dress very warmly for as you are close to the water so it was windy. We were well prepared in terms of what we wore. Wear a hat, jacket, fleece or a sweater, warm pants, and gloves.

It was a great tour.

Keith

It is wonderful to see the Penguins in Punta Arenas. It is about a 60 minute drive from the port. Part of it is on a paved road and the other part is on a dirt road. You will see some other wildlife during the drive. When they drop you off the walk itself is a long loop. About 1 mile. If you tire you can always turn around. The terrain was fine. If I remember correctly a good portion of the walk is on wooden boards.

This is one to be sure to dress very warmly for as you are close to the water so it was windy. We were well prepared in terms of what we wore. Wear a hat, jacket, fleece or a sweater, warm pants, and gloves.

It was a great tour.

Keith

Keith thx for your help, much appreciated!

Just like there are waterproof coats (North Face is a perfect example) the material of this clothing will not absorb the water but rather the water will roll of the clothing.

It has really come in handy on several of our trips to places such as the Baltics, and to the cooler/rainy areas in South America, just to name a few.

There are different types of waterproof pants. Some are very lightweight but others are heavier weight for the cold. Very similar to ski pants.

Keith

Keith,

Ok, I hate to ask a dumb question, but what are waterproof pants? I live in Texas & we don't have much need for those.

I bought my waterproof pants from campmor.com before an Alaska cruise. They were inexpensive [i bought the campmor brand] and worked well for layering over fleece pants for warmth. They also were good at blocking the wind.

Archived