Differences between British and American English

calikak

Correct. Streaky bacon is normally half the price of back bacon

Half! I detect a bargain here. Some of both would be just right, thank you.

Onboard the QM2 they also had a Stilton that nearly popped you right out of your seat. Actually, I think it may have put hair on my chest, but don't tell Happyscot. :D

So if I'm at dinner and I say, "Oh dear, I dropped my napkin" will the British folks within earshot burst out laughing thinking I've dropped my diaper?

No. They'll know what you've dropped, and will be pleased that you actually know that it is a napkin rather than a serviette.

On the other hand, if you keep dropping it, then people might think you are careless.....

Matthew

(Why is this thread started when I'm away for the weekend?)

Some other things I've noticed... in Britain you see "TO LET" signs everywhere, at first I kept thinking they said TOILET and was wondering why there were so many being advertised, over here we say "For Rent"

Then there is the WAY OUT instead of EXIT... Way out here means a little crazy or off the wall. :)

I am getting used to Napkin, but I have always thought serviette. A napkin was for feminine hygiene. :eek:

No. They'll know what you've dropped, and will be pleased that you actually know that it is a napkin rather than a serviette.

On the other hand, if you keep dropping it, then people might think you are careless.....

Matthew

(Why is this thread started when I'm away for the weekend?)

Sorry...I suppose this means you're not allowed to go away for the weekend anymore!

So, now I'm totally confused. Are "serviette" and "napkin" the same thing? Or is a serviette a paper napkin?

Is there such a thing?

Seriously, I don't understand the need for instant potatoes when all you have to do is boil them and mash away. Unless you are Irish in the middle of the blight or something. :D

If you smear mayonnaise on chicken pieces, then slather dried mashed potatoes flakes on that, then bake at 350 till the juices run clear you will have a really interesting and tasty fried chicken substitute. Used flavored potato flakes and it's even better!

Karie,

who knows it sounds weird, but try it. Its' good! Never thought you'd see me buying fake potatoes! (I mash mine whole, skins on!)

If you smear mayonnaise on chicken pieces, then slather dried mashed potatoes flakes on that, then bake at 350 till the juices run clear you will have a really interesting and tasty fried chicken substitute. Used flavored potato flakes and it's even better!

Karie,

who knows it sounds weird, but try it. Its' good! Never thought you'd see me buying fake potatoes! (I mash mine whole, skins on!)

Or for a lighter option, use plain yogurt instead of mayonnaise.

Karie,

I do to. It's such a chore removing limbs and/or skinning myself before simple domestic tasks.

Since the days of "for mash get smash" (greatest adverts ever; most disgusting food ever; the martians in the adverts would look very much at home in that Carnival dining-room though) we haven't really done fake potatoes in Britain. Is there something difficult about 1) Place potatoe in water 2) Apply heat 3) Eat?

I have a horrible feeling I may have spelt potatoe wrong. Pretend it's a weevil.

Hello all,

I sometimes admit to getting confused as I get older, but can someone please tell me when the word "invite" became a noun? I must have missed that memo but it seems that the media and certain Marketing persons working near my desk find the word "invitation" too difficult these days.

An example recently was "We are sending out invites to our customers for a special function". :confused:

Is it simply laziness or is the English language evolving to the point where rules no longer apply?

A very disappointed,

Margot.

Hello all,

I sometimes admit to getting confused as I get older, but can someone please tell me when the word "invite" became a noun?

Actually, it seems to have a fairly long pedigree as a noun. I was reading your post thinking how much I agreed with you, then I decided to have a quick look at the online OED and was really really surprised at what I found. I suspect that it's one of those usages that fell out of favour for a relatively long time, then slowly crept back into fashion again. The (slightly) shortened version of the OED entry reads as follows:

Oxford English Dictionary. Second Edition 1989

invite, n.

1. The act of inviting; an invitation.

1659 H. L'ESTRANGE Alliance Div. Off. 326 Bishop Cranmer..gives him an earnest invite to England. 1778 F. BURNEY Diary (1842) I. 105 Everybody bowed and accepted the invite but me..for I have no intention of snapping at invites from the eminent. 1818 LADY MORGAN Autobiog. (1859) 39 We have refused two invites for to-day. Ibid. 292 For Monday we have had three dinner invites. 1825 T. HOOK Man of Many Friends in Sayings & Doings Ser. II. I. 279 Adepts in every little meanness or contrivance likely to bring about an invitation (or, as they call it with equal good taste, an ‘invite’). 1883 C. R. SMITH Retrospect. I. 21 Mr. Isaacson readily accepted the invite. 1937 Times 28 Dec. 7/5 This little servant girl, who..believed that she would some day receive an ‘invite’ to a royal ball and marry the prince, [etc.]. 1968 Listener 13 June 770/1 Is it just an invite from the colonel for a working week-end?

I had been in England for 4 weeks. YOu will find many many more words that we never thought of being different in England than America. For example street musicans are called Buskers, or that they are busking.

Many words are spelled with a S instead of a Z that we Americans use.

Also nothing like a good bowl of Chili served with a bowl of rice, that I had ordered on QM2 for a lunch time snack.

Mysteryfan

Many words are spelled with a S instead of a Z that we Americans use.

Mysteryfan

I believe that traditionally in English English words from Greek have a Z, words from Latin an S, though there are inevitably exceptions, but this is why we spell, for instance, civilisation with an S, apparently.:D

Dear Ztanley, truzting thiz findz you in a zplendid ztate of fitnezz.

Zir Martin

Many Thankz Zir Martin,

your kind regardz are, az alwayz, mozt welcome. My hunanz are znoozing in front of the TV at prezent zo, az there iz little to be had in the way of ztimulating converzation, I think I'll zlope off and ztake my claim on the duvet before they wake up and go to bed.

Yourz aye

Ztanley

Archived