Bare feet in the casual dining room - ugh

LeslieSJ

Bad things happen when good people do nothing.

As long as people "pretend" something did not happen, or "it really isn't any of my business", this sort of DISRESPECT for other passengers and the crew will not only continue but will get worse.

Even McDonalds or Burger King insist on shoes and shirts

Have you ever wondered if those that post excusing poor behavior or lack of manners may very well be the offenders posting as if they are these non-judgemental passengers when, in reality, they are the offenders looking to excuse their own behavior?

we make them every day! We decide what type of cereal we want (that's a judgment), we decide whether to go to work or the beach if the weather's nice (that's a judgment) and we can decide that we don't like to have people around us who seem to think the rules apply to everyone but themselves (more judgments). This universal notion that one can't be 'judgmental' is, in my view, exactly the reason that there is so much deviation from what society believes the norm to be. OK, OK - this is going to elicit comments but I don't much care (yet another judgment). Do unto othersas you would have them do unto you. Full stop. Period. End of discussion.

There are always the people who will excuse the behavior and say "look the other way." How could one person believe, and I quote, "As for bare feet and no shirts. While it is IMHO innapropriate, it is certainly not unsanitary." It is totally unsanitatary! BLEK.

Bad things happen when good people do nothing.

As long as people "pretend" something did not happen, or "it really isn't any of my business", this sort of DISRESPECT for other passengers and the crew will not only continue but will get worse.

Even McDonalds or Burger King insist on shoes and shirts

Hi Jimsgirl,

Your post is the best of all of the posts on this thread. "Bad things DO happen when good people do nothing" is the perfect answer when things like this happen. It is the same thing as the notion that if someone finds such behavior distasteful that there is something wrong with them for not being "more understanding" or the worn out phrase "things happen". In spite of the go with the flow crowd any responsible cruise line should not allow any such behavior. It is always easier to do nothing than to stand up for what is right. Thanks heavens most of us do know what is right and will stand up to such things as this.

The rude and crude crowd will always be with us. Whether it is from lack of education in common courtesy, disregard for the rights of others, or plain "I don't give a d...", it becomes incumbent upon us "snobs" to educate them, politely, but decisively, as to the rules of accepted behavior. The method of delivery of the message depends upon the situation. It is usually best, IMHO, to utilize the offices of the individuals (police, security guards, cruise personnel), but in situations where this is not effective, other measures may be necessary.

:D:D:D THANKFULLY, I don't remember experiencing anything as bad as all of you have described on a cruise. I don't know how I would react if a hairy man wearing a "wife beater" while scratching his feet (urgh) stood next to me at the buffet - but I have discovered something about myself while reading this thread. Heaven help me! I enjoy "bathroom" humor! I am disgusted and laughing out loud at the same time! I might as well be a 14 year old boy. I think it's the way you guys put things. You have wit and humor!

Yes, it's yucky! And, yes, bad things happen when good people don't stand up to be counted. So, yes, we should make ourselves heard when the inconsiderate of the world impinge upon our sense of safety and comfort. But, really, go back and read this thread through. You'll feel your face screw up in disgust, but you'll also laugh out loud. You guys are wordsmiths! I LOVE these boards!:D

Happy (and hopefully clean;)) cruising!

Denise

We have only seen one example of sloppy attire - in the dining room at lunch time. The gentleman....no,no.......the guy, surrounded by wife, mother-in-law, and brood, wore red shorts, a yellow tank top, and was festooned with gold chains. Such attire displayed his manly, hair-engulfed chest, hairy arms, hairy shoulders and hairy back. :eek:Since the wait staff did not do anything, I certainly wouldn't. It was a little disconcerting, however; it's like coming across a dead, maggot-infested skunk; you do not want to look, but your eyes keep coming back to the strange and unusual.:rolleyes:

We have only seen one example of sloppy attire - in the dining room at lunch time. The gentleman....no,no.......the guy, surrounded by wife, mother-in-law, and brood, wore red shorts, a yellow tank top, and was festooned with gold chains. Such attire displayed his manly, hair-engulfed chest, hairy arms, hairy shoulders and hairy back.

Nationality? No, on second thoughts I don't want to know.

What is most reassuring is the number of 'quiet Americans' whose views are in complete accord with some of we British and Canadian. Too often all of one nationality are tarred with the same brush but from the posts here it is apparent that many nationalities also share the same sensitivities.:)

I would "narc" on the offending party to the staff immediately; if people don't

speak their minds, the management of the ship will "assume" the behavior of

these people are acceptable to the rest of us. If the argument is that they paid for their vacation and want to dress as they like, then go to an appropriate destination, such as a mellow beach resort.

We love mellow beach resorts and stay at the nicer properties. My experience is that they actually enforce their dress codes and those are the ones we book. I wish it were that easy with cruise lines.

It is appalling what some consider appropriate wear for a public place.:(

On my last RCI and Carnival cruises, people were in the shops with bathing suits, no cover up and no shoes as well as parading through the lobby. Some people are apparently just slobs and the staff said nothing.

We were in the Latin music lounge on RCI several months ago and there were people in cut offs and tanks (evening hours) that put their bare feet up on the cocktail tables. Disgusting, IMO.

I imagine the staff is equally appalled but unable to do anything for fear of bad reports. What a sad commentary on society.

I agree with Dave that things will continue to worsen as ships get bigger, fire sales become more common and more and more families choose cruising and demand ever more casual vacations.

Nationality? No, on second thoughts I don't want to know.

What is most reassuring is the number of 'quiet Americans' whose views are in complete accord with some of we British and Canadian. Too often all of one nationality are tarred with the same brush but from the posts here it is apparent that many nationalities also share the same sensitivities.:)

:)The first cruise my DH and I took together was on Disney with extended family. He still thought of cruises as "floating hotels" and I was anxious for the cruise to leave a good impression (he's now addicted!). We boarded the ship several hours before the rest of the family and set out on our exploration. My dear PN (I don't know if you've cruised Disney), the Disney Magic has several pools including a family pool, where you will see many innocent, impressionable young children frolicking in the water. They weren't frolicking in that water on embarkation day - several children were being held VERY TIGHTLY by mommies who were glaring at, and loudly complaining about, a gentleman in their midst. The gentleman in question had his carry on luggage next to his lounge chair, his pants and shirt were draped over the back of the lounge chair, and he was resplendent in a pair of shiny, tiger print, g-string bikini bottoms.:eek: His country of origin was clear the moment he spoke. I won't tell you the country, but I will tell you the continent - Europe.:D I thought he looked ridiculous (but to each his own!), the mommies were obviously scandalized (loud, disapproving, American mommies), but I have to say this for him... He had a body confidence that was impressive! I can only imaging how much he enjoyed the nude beaches on the cruise!;)

Happy cruising!

Denise

Along the lines of the dress code threads but something I haven't seen mentioned....what would you do if you saw people in the casual dining room at lunch or breakfast with bare feet?

Well - for one, I would NOT eat off of the floor!;)

After all, something needs to be reserved for trips taken on luxe cruise lines! :D

:) The gentleman in question had his carry on luggage next to his lounge chair, his pants and shirt were draped over the back of the lounge chair, and he was resplendent in a pair of shiny, tiger print, g-string bikini bottoms.:eek: His country of origin was clear the moment he spoke.

You can't take the French anywhere. Was the confidence justified?

Did you see the reference I made earlier to a great white whale?

In my daughter's words she was wearing a white, over the shoulder, boulder holder, bra and a black skirt. Just like you might see on a Blackpool beach. I also meant to say she had a large plaster on her shoulder. It could have been duck tape.

You can't take the French anywhere. Was the confidence justified?

Did you see the reference I made earlier to a great white whale?

In my daughter's words she was wearing a white, over the shoulder, boulder holder, bra and a black skirt. Just like you might see on a Blackpool beach. I also meant to say she had a large plaster on her shoulder. It could have been duck tape.

You NEVER disappoint me! Brilliant as usual!:) Duck tape, huh? Believe me when I tell you that the above mentioned gentleman (the great tiger whale? He was a BIG boy!) could have used some DDT for hair removal and for support of his chest, belly, and, uh, other places - I could have used DDT...to cover my oh so offended eyes!:D

Denise

CatServant

We were on a French campsite once. The posing pouch was purple.

Same area, Route Nationale 1, bit like your No 1 Turnpike. Same village that the French President holidayed in.

French man wanders out of first floor bedroom (2nd floor?) onto balcony after his afternoon nap, gently rearranging his bits and pieces, the odd itch etc :D

CatServant

We were on a French campsite once. The posing pouch was purple.

Same area, Route Nationale 1, bit like your No 1 Turnpike. Same village that the French President holidayed in.

French man wanders out of first floor bedroom (2nd floor?) onto balcony after his afternoon nap, gently rearranging his bits and pieces, the odd itch etc :D

:eek:....:D:D:D:D!!!

I guess all the cruise lines have problems with dress codes. Check this out! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=627309 :eek:

Les

Les - you're absolutely right! I sometimes read the other boards - HAL & Carnival, not surprisingly very similar to X (except Carnival has A LOT MORE daily activity!) with the usual threads INCLUDING clothing/dress code threads. But, I also enjoy the Seven Sea and SilverSea boards (they have a lot LESS daily activity than us). The same debates regarding appropriate clothing/dress codes are all over the luxury line boards. And the same complaints regarding non enforcement. Truthfully, all you have to do is change the cruise line/ship name and all the clothing debates on almost all the boards are the same. I imagine it's different on the boards for "casual only" cruise lines, but only slightly. As we know, everyone has a different idea of "casual" too!:o You can't even count on "appropriately covered and sanitary" to make everyone dress in a socially acceptable manner. After all, it's all subjective.;)

Happy cruising!

Denise

i have been on the Constellation and did snitch on people who were in the buffet line (hairy chests) without shirts on. They were immediately told to leave the food area. What is the matter with people. Ugh! Never be afraid to speak up.

Archived