Bare feet in the casual dining room - ugh

LeslieSJ

Along the lines of the dress code threads but something I haven't seen mentioned....what would you do if you saw people in the casual dining room at lunch or breakfast with bare feet?

I experienced that several times on our Constellation cruise last year. By the end of the cruise some of the slobs' standards had slipped even lower and I saw people going through buffet lines and sitting at tables topless! (I guess I should clarify that these were men ;) ) And I'm talking about the indoor dining area, not tables out along the deck where anything goes.

I was appalled but didn't want to be the ship snitch so I never complained to anyone. I didn't let it ruin my trip or anything but it was pretty gross. People who complained around the pool about the chair hogs didn't get any help so I'm guessing no one on the staff would confront the shoeless, shirtless folks.

We'll be on the Connie in Feb. 2008 -- if that happens again, what would you do?

what would you do?

Nothing. Except look the other way and move in the opposite direciton.

Gross? yes. My problem? no. The 'rules' (requests, guidelines, whatever) ask that passenger not wear 'just' swimwear in the casual dining area, but this is often ignored.

I don't do it, and certainly wouldnt go without shoes for my own personal feeling about walking barefoot where 2,000 other people have passed.

It's their vacation! They paid for it and they should get to do what they please. Even if they decide to serve themselves using their bare-feet to handle the utensils, you should just shut up and accept it...

(facetious, of course, but I don't want any misunderstandings...)

One adult male in the buffet line with a wet bathing suit and no flip-flops.:eek: Did not bother him one bit. Happened at least 3 times. I guess after that someone had a talk with about that type of behavior and that was the end of that.

From a sanitary point of view, I'm not convinced that flip-flops are much better than bare feet...

What really irks me are the people who sit in the buffet area, on the upholstered chairs, and eat lunch in their wet bathing suits. I sat down after one person had left, and the seat and leg of my trousers got absolutely soaked! It looked like I had wet myself. I was SO annoyed!:mad:

Lisa

we also use the dining room as much as possible, This was not an issue on Celeb til recently--last cruise on Royal Carib the dress of the day for lunch was an inordinate number of what we call wifebeater (sleeveless) T -shirts--really low class!

This is EXACTLY why I was hesitant to book our next cruise on RCI...the ship and itinerary appealed to me, I thought it would be fun...but then I realize, we felt right at home with fellow Celebrity guests, but would we on RC?

I couldn't tolerate hairy chest contests, and I do not want to see them in the buffet area, for sure!

I think it is the job of Celebrity to discreetly handle this--the staff members working in the buffet area should take IMMEDIATE action. But if they didn't, yes, I might say something to a staff member myself!

Besides being rude and classless, it's also unsanitary.

First with so many people not wanting to follow the dress codes, and blatantly advertising no one ever gets chastized.....What the heck did you think would happen?

I know many people have an attitude with formal nights, and even so Informal nights...Men won't wear ties, women tell the guys its okay to wear just slacks and a shirt no sportscoat...So many families with young children that complain they can't afford and won't buy the appropriate clothing because their kids are growing so fast and it THEIR vacation...REALLY, what do you think was going to happen? and its only going to get worse as lines go more casual.

As for bare feet and no shirts. While it is IMHO innapropriate, it is certainly not unsanitary. However placing an infant or small child on an eating surface or table is highly unsanitary. While the giddy parents think their child is cute, they have built up an immunity to what ever the child may have...unfortunately, most of the rest of us haven't and this can lead to anything from discentary, to out right Noro and flu.

I have seen more babys and children in inappropriate places and touching thins like food and utensils that would be worse than the no shirt or barefooted person. Just a reference, while you can catch illness through the soles of your feet, if you are wearing shoes or flip flops there is no risk at all,

Bottom line, the more and more casual this culture becomes, the more and more people will be pushing the line.

Dave:eek:

HI

I maybe wouldn´t say something when seeing barefeet and topless in the Casual dinning area ( I have never seen such behaviour anyway) but the person would definatley get some of my " nicest" looks - and I am good at it. LOL. I think when he get´s more of those looks- he would be feeling uncomfortable. I agree- the X- service staff who is in the entrance should mention it to the person before even entering- polite but firm!

Michael

RCCI has a rule about shoes and coverups in the buffet area. They have a crew member standing at the entrance and if you try and enter the buffet without covering up or not wearing shoes, you are not allowed in. I've seen it happening a number of times on RCCI ships--and once I was wearing water shoes and the guy questioned me about my footwear. On Celebrity I was so grossed out by a man who scratched his bare feet while standing in the buffet line and then proceeded to touch the utensils and food items. I went to the boss in the buffet and he said there's nothing anyone could do because it's their vacation and they can't say anything. To me, not wearing shoes is a violation of health code rules and if I see it again, I may tell the boss that I'm contacting the US Health Dept and telling them what goes on with Celebrity ships. I mean, they freak out about some things, but scratching bare feet doesn't seem to bother them.

I don't know about the rest of the ships, but on Galaxy I saw a man try to enter the buffet at lunch and was turned away by the crewmember holding the sanitizing spray bottle, for not wearing a shirt. The crewmember told him to go get a shirt on. We smiled widely at the crewmember. I don't think the man did it delibertly I just think he forgot about his attire. When we were eating we saw him once in the buffet line with a shirt on.

I would "narc" on the offending party to the staff immediately; if people don't

speak their minds, the management of the ship will "assume" the behavior of

these people are acceptable to the rest of us. If the argument is that they paid for their vacation and want to dress as they like, then go to an appropriate destination, such as a mellow beach resort.

P.S......Tackle???????????

Ham, we did "narc" on the foot scratching man and were told there was absolutely nothing they could do about it. That attitude really hacked me off, and I wrote that on the end of cruise survey. But that's the attitude X has apparently adopted----there's nothing they can do about anything, and that stinks. And don't get me started on the shirtless man in the buffet who looked as if he were wearing a fur vest---that was way gross.

I guess I don't have a problem with the barefoot guy unless he is doing something unsanitary, like rubbing his feet or being a contortionist and using his feet to manipulate the food ladles and tongs. Going shoeless is a lot better than touching food with your hands, sneezing or other gross actions at the buffet.

Before retirement in the work place, I worked for Heinz, the ketchup people. They had one specific sanitation rule that outside contractor employees always seemed to disobey while working in our factories. I cringe when I see it being broken in buffet restaurants. It is the 'wife beater' shirt on males. An armless tanktop really provides a lot of opportunities for males to shed body hairs at the buffet line. If a contractor showed up in a tank top, he was banned from the factory until he changed into a sleeved shirt. No ands, ifs or buts. This rule was also in addition to the hairnet, mustachenet and beardnet rules.

I can tolerate a barefoot person acting responsibly. But please, wear a shirt with sleeves.

Les

and sit around and sing "We Are The World" as we rightously (with all PC attitudes intact) defend obnoxious and ill-mannered behavior.

Stand up and say enough!

The Slobs of the world have taken over, maybe it is time for the Snobs of the world to react.

Yes, I am a snob.

Sitting in a wet chair in the buffet is horrible, my situation was when we had people come into the threatre to see something in the afternoon in wet bathing suits. Of course I did not know that until I sat down. My shorts were immediately wet & then I heard snickering from behind! I have been cruising since the early 80's we never had norvo virus etc, oh I almost forgot we also had more mannered people that adhered to the rules as well.

Sitting in a wet chair in the buffet is horrible, my situation was when we had people come into the threatre to see something in the afternoon in wet bathing suits. Of course I did not know that until I sat down. My shorts were immediately wet & then I heard snickering from behind! I have been cruising since the early 80's we never had norvo virus etc, oh I almost forgot we also had more mannered people that adhered to the rules as well.

I guess you meant that you or your family didn't have norovirus but it was present on ships. Just not as publicized or reported to organizations such as the CDC. Norovirus last year affected about 4600 people on cruise ships and about 48 million in the US population.

Archived