Anyone ever cancel after they announce a ports change.

Tim Johnson 33

I am sailing 09/22/07 on Glory. We are thinking about canceling when they announce a change. I called Carnival last night, and asked what the policy was. The PVP didn't know what I was talking about, so I asked to speak with a supervisor. The original woman came back, and read me the policy, about canceling within 24 hrs, after they change a port. I sounds like it's a policy, but they may give you a tough time doing. I'm just wondering if anyone has done this. And what the results were. Thanks.

I am sailing 09/22/07 on Glory. We are thinking about canceling when they announce a change. I called Carnival last night, and asked what the policy was. The PVP didn't know what I was talking about, so I asked to speak with a supervisor. The original woman came back, and read me the policy, about canceling within 24 hrs, after they change a port. I sounds like it's a policy, but they may give you a tough time doing. I'm just wondering if anyone has done this. And what the results were. Thanks.

Please, someone respond to this! TJ33, we're on your cruise, too, and thinking of doing the exact same thing! We want to cancel and re-book on the Legend out of Tampa on 9/23.

But the way Carnival is waiting til the day before sailing to announce changes, it might not be feasible.

Have you read your travel documents, #7. Carnival's Right to Increase Fares, Cancel or Change Voyage. It states that Carnivals has the right to change or omit ports. If the cruise is already paid for I would dought that they would refund.

It's pretty clear in the docs that Carnival has the right to change the itinerary , I doubt you would get a refund.

My advice is to enjoy the cruise nonetheless, you will be on a great ship, and treat the ports as gravy.......

i considered cancelling my liberty cruise when they changed the itinerary after booking, but i didn't. so, i cannot tell you what the real procedure/policy is, but the decision on whether you shld cancel it depends on why you booked it.

i did want to go to costa maya, and was not happy when they changed 2 of our 3 ports on that itinerary, scrapping that one, in particular.

but in the end, when i really considered why i booked that cruise, it wasn't really for costa maya. it was for the ship. we want to sail on liberty, and we did get a great price, so we stuck.

if the ports are much more impt to you than the ship, then yes, consider re-booking. good luck, and have a great cruise, wherever you decide to go.:)

I remembered reading this on another thread. This was originally posted by Matigari:

Carnival allows you a 24 hour window to cancel your cruise when a itinerary change is made

http://carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templ...on_policy.aspx

If Carnival Cruise Lines ("Carnival") has adequate notice prior to sailing that a vessel will deviate from the published itinerary, it will promptly upon making the itinerary change notify passengers of the change through their travel agents or directly, in the case of a direct booking ("the Notice"). The Notice shall offer passengers an opportunity to cancel their booking without penalty within 24 hours of the delivery of the Notice. Carnival shall not be liable to guests for any charges, fees or expenses paid or owed to third parties (such as air travel booked by a guest directly with an airline) in connection with a cancelled booking or substituted port. In the event a passenger does not cancel his or her cruise on a timely basis, no additional compensation for the itinerary change will be offered to the passenger at a later time.

In the event the itinerary change becomes necessary while the ship is at sea or when notice prior to sailing is not feasible, Carnival shall attempt to substitute an alternative port. Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the itinerary change to the passengers as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. No compensation shall be provided to passengers when an alternative port is offered.\

If safety, scheduling or other concerns prevent the ship from calling on an alternative port, Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the elimination of the scheduled port to the passengers as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. The written notice shall also offer a shipboard credit of $20.00 (U.S.D.) per person to be reflected on the sail and sign account.

Nothing herein shall affect the passenger's ability to exercise the Vacation Guarantee on sailings where it applies.

That 24 hour window is pretty short so I would check often to see if they have announced their itinerary changes. Mine for my Liberty cruise came via e-mail directly from Carnival since I booked thru them. If that's how you booked, check your e-mail often so you don't miss the 24 hour window. Keep checking with you PVP too. Like truecruiser, we also decided to stick with the Liberty (we're on the same sailing) because we didn't book for the ports. We booked for the price and so we could sail with friends who are on that sailing also.

Please, someone respond to this! TJ33, we're on your cruise, too, and thinking of doing the exact same thing! We want to cancel and re-book on the Legend out of Tampa on 9/23.

But the way Carnival is waiting til the day before sailing to announce changes, it might not be feasible.

Shouldn't be a problem in the world with you canceling within 24 hours of the announcement... but you will more than likely pay going fares for the Legend, which might be high, unless the ship is having trouble selling.

Shouldn't be a problem in the world with you canceling within 24 hours of the announcement... but you will more than likely pay going fares for the Legend, which might be high, unless the ship is having trouble selling.

That's what would keep me from changing to another ship. Out of Galveston, prices do nothing but soar, up up up. Paying the current going rate on another ship (if there was one) wouldnt be for me, thats why I am now having to book ahead of time.

I cant blame Carnival for waiting if so many are going to cancel and just waiting for the announcement to ponce. Everyone is complaining about Carnival waiting to make the announcement early enough, but if they do people cancel.

The policy seems pretty straightforward. I seriously doubt most pax or travel agents are even aware of this policy, so there probably arent a rash of cancellations based on itinerary changes.

Carnival is the only cruise line, that I know of , offering this deal, which is nice for people that have flexible plans or those that wanted to cancel for another reason and now can use this as a way not to lose thier money.

More than likely any changes will be announced Friday 9/21 for all the cruises leaving that weekend.

i did want to go to costa maya, and was not happy when they changed 2 of our 3 ports on that itinerary, scrapping that one, in particular.

They have no choice but to change out of Costa Maya. The pier is gone for all intents and purposes and rebuilding is expected to take at least 8 months.

Now on the other side of that coin, I canceled my RC sailing in January that was originally scheduled for Costa Maya when they changed it to Cozumel. I can sail on Carnival for a trip to Cozumel - spend less money on the cruise and choose a date that won't have 5 ships in port.

Im going on the Glory in late January. I hope they change and stop in Key West. I go on a cruise not only for the ports but the ship as well. Just to be at sea on a nice ship is a vacation to me.

That's what would keep me from changing to another ship. Out of Galveston, prices do nothing but soar, up up up. Paying the current going rate on another ship (if there was one) wouldnt be for me, thats why I am now having to book ahead of time.

That is exactly what I was thinking. They won't just transfer you from one ship to the other. First there has to be a cabin available, and then you will pay the current rate for that ship. The policy offers you the chance to cancel with no penalty. It does not offer to rebook you on another ship for the same fare. I know our Liberty sailing prices have gone through the roof since we first booked!

That is exactly what I was thinking. They won't just transfer you from one ship to the other. First there has to be a cabin available, and then you will pay the current rate for that ship. The policy offers you the chance to cancel with no penalty. It does not offer to rebook you on another ship for the same fare. I know our Liberty sailing prices have gone through the roof since we first booked!

I'm not looking for them to transfer us or rebook us on another ship at the same fare. I plan on cancelling the Glory and booking a cruise on the Legend after I check to see if there are still cabins available. I have been keeping up with the availability and prices on the Legend, and right now we can book into a balcony stateroom for $50 less than what we paid to book a 9A on the Glory. They have several staterooms in several different categories left at this point. If Carnival waits to the last minute to announce changes and there are no Legend balcony cabins available for the 9/23 sailing, we'll just stick with the Glory.

They have no choice but to change out of Costa Maya. The pier is gone for all intents and purposes and rebuilding is expected to take at least 8 months.

Now on the other side of that coin, I canceled my RC sailing in January that was originally scheduled for Costa Maya when they changed it to Cozumel. I can sail on Carnival for a trip to Cozumel - spend less money on the cruise and choose a date that won't have 5 ships in port.

our itinerary change was done long before this recent damage. i didn't even consider that there might be confusion on this point b/c of this. so, sorry aout that.

my decision (on the fence about cancelling) happened way b/4 recent events. CCL had just decided to change our itinerary for whatever reason, but not the reasons you state.

Just wanted to post what happened when I called Carnival last week. I was speaking to a rep about the 24 hour cancellation window. She told me that "the cancellation window doesn't begin until 24 hours BEFORE the ship leaves." She seemed to think it had nothing to do with the time they formally announce the itinerary change.

I was pretty persistent that I thought the 24 hours began from the moment the itinerary changes were posted. We were going back and forth...about 15 minutes later, she went to check with a supervisor. Guess who was right?

Just a warning to anyone who tries to call in and cancel. You CAN cancel penalty free within 24 hours of the itinerary change. And if anyone tells you differently - insist that you're right! You are!

Archived