Princess Grill or Brittania Club, & What's Up With Brittania?

Katyany

What are your opinions on these, and are the "A" category cabins any better than the "B"s?

Is it worth paying the much higher price for Princess, or can the "A" or B1 categories be comfortable enough (if you're lucky to be assigned a table with an interesting group)?

I've travelled in the B1, but they only had a B2 left this time, and, either I've become spoiled, or B2/or the entire Brittania level have become a wee bit like "steerage", so to speak.

Is it just my bad luck this time, or should I stop being a financial puritan and just get the Princess Grill cabin next crossing?

What are your opinions on these, and are the "A" category cabins any better than the "B"s?

Is it worth paying the much higher price for Princess, or can the "A" or B1 categories be comfortable enough (if you're lucky to be assigned a table with an interesting group)?

I've travelled in the B1, but they only had a B2 left this time, and, either I've become spoiled, or B2/or the entire Brittania level have become a wee bit like "steerage", so to speak.

Is it just my bad luck this time, or should I stop being a financial puritan and just get the Princess Grill cabin next crossing?

Katyany,

Matthew ( Kindlychap ) wrote a review of his experience in Britannia Club sometime in June. You may want to read it as he points out the pros and cons.

Paul

Explain "steerage"

I enjoyed that restaurant, and it's a very far cry from "steerage".

Didn't see any exposed drain pipes running along the ceiling and walls.

The food and service was excellent.

True, they now have that stupid 'chefs parade', but it hardly qualifies for "steerage".

The cabins in that class are very comfortable .... no hammocks hanging from the rafters serving as beds .... :rolleyes:

Thanks. I'll look for the link.

I know it's not steerage (although I've heard/read several posters on this board describe it as such in the past). I'm just being cranky. I've had some problems with my cabin, and somehow I remember QM2 (over a year ago) more fondly.

They do call it a luxury liner, but I think the luxury comes with a higher price than Brittania----or else I have had bad luck. I was downgraded a level because my usual cabin grade was not available. Could one level down make such a difference I wonder?

What's wrong with a B category & what's the difference between a B-1 & B2? I just booked a B2 which was hardly inexpensive considering I'm traveling solo. Judging from what I'm reading, I'm reconsidering this voyage. Never have been on a ship before & now not sure I want to do this. :o

Where can I find a description of the different categories? I haven't received any brochures as yet.

Thanks for any help. I've been reading past posts but still am undecided, especially after seeing things about "steerage" & "worn" cabins. I'm currently in 6252 transatlantic 5/27/08.

There is no difference between B1 and B2 other than their deck location.

I actually would book my clients in a B2 on deck 5 because the cabins are sandwiched between two passenger decks, while the B1's on deck 6 are under public rooms.

As for the steerage comment, if you don't like your tablemates, see the Maitre'd and have him move you to another table.

Explain "steerage"

True, they now have that stupid 'chefs parade', but it hardly qualifies for "steerage".

The cabins in that class are very comfortable .... no hammocks hanging from the rafters serving as beds .... :rolleyes:

You mean on your last cruise they didn't clear the tables after we choked down our gruel and brown bag meals for dancing to a fiddle and squeezebox someone had brought along as their only possessions? Man, You missed out on the entertainment!

What's wrong with a B category & what's the difference between a B-1 & B2? I just booked a B2 which was hardly inexpensive considering I'm traveling solo. Judging from what I'm reading, I'm reconsidering this voyage. Never have been on a ship before & now not sure I want to do this. :o

Where can I find a description of the different categories? I haven't received any brochures as yet.

Thanks for any help. I've been reading past posts but still am undecided, especially after seeing things about "steerage" & "worn" cabins. I'm currently in 6252 transatlantic 5/27/08.

Lahdedah.,

Take a lot of the comments you read here with a grain of salt. One person's opinion is only one person. I went on QM2 twice last year (in B5 and B something else) If there was anything worn on that ship, it was me, from all the fun I had, the people I met and running places to not miss the next fun thing I wanted to do!

I will be on her on October and again next April (along with QE2) I have been on older "more worn" ships, and they were often the BEST! Anything is what you make it. Is there anything in your home or clothing or shoes which you love that are a bit worn? You still love them, right? maybe even more. Or do you toss your shoes at the first sign of a scuff. I saw nothing worn on the ship. She is exposed to salt water and winds daily, and you will see crewmen constantly polishing brass, varnishing closed off portions of decks and cleaning, cleaning, cleaning! You have nothing to worry about. Go, and enjoy.

Remember, a discontented customer is news because it is the exception, not the norm. That person who felt it was worn had up to 2599 other passengers on board, the vast majority of whom likely had no complaints!

Karie,

looking forwarded to wearing HERSELF out again on the QM2

P.S. Go to Cunard.com, click on Our Ships, Go to QM2, Accomomdations, Britannia Staterooms, and click on the cabin descriptions, deck plans and the virtual tour. While it doesn't show every cabin type, it does give you the main differences, and as ocngypz said, the main difference within a grade is usually what deck you are on. B5 B6 have lifeboats in front of them, so the view is obstructed. B4,3,2,1 are what is known as "in-hull" Do a search on threads for many posts, including pictures of an in-hull balcony. A-1s have glass fronted balconies and are higher up . (but the B's with in-hulls have larger balconies because they are in the hull, which is wider than the super-structure and can accommodate a larger balcony)

Well, I'm exposed to salt water & wind daily too. :D Thanks for the info!

Good point!

Didn't look at where you were from.

I have a friend who is pres of the VIPHC Virgin Island Parrothead Club. She lives on St John and works at the NAPA auto parts store!

You will love it!

Trust me on this!

I'll be in the virgins on my Oct 31st Caribbean

Stop by with some MamaWanna from St Croix!

(AHA! She DOES know the REAL Virgins!)

Karie,

who even knows where to go and what to avoid when going there!

Explain "steerage"

Amen Vic.....This is an elegant, gracious ship no matter what cabin grade you are in. And I guarantee you will not be able to tell who is traveling in what grade except when some eat in Britannia (and that would be the bulk of the passengers) and some eat in the grills. I never felt anything but pampered everywhere, and from everyone, I went on the ship.

The word "steerage", or as we used to call it, the "S" word gets bandied about here in a joking manner....trust me, Britannia is very far removed from the concept of steerage !:rolleyes:

I haven't been on her since last Dec when everything was in lovely condition....I find it hard to beleive that in such a short time things have become "worn"...not with the maintenance I witnessed.

The link for my review of my voyage in Britannia is in my signature....trust me, the 4 of us wouldn't be going back in 2 months time had it not been glorious! I am counting the days!!! We are also discussing a B2B transatlantic for next spring on her....she's fabulous.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

If you were unhappy with Britannia why don't you just book the Princess Grill and be done with it? Why keep coming back here to look for justification? You don't need any. In fact, why not just go for Queen's Grill now? This will save us from the same thread after your next crossing?

I know it's not steerage (although I've heard/read several posters on this board describe it as such in the past). I'm just being cranky.

Sorry if I got cranky. Guess I'm just tired of hearing that word being used to describe something that's far from being an experience that's less than elegant.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. :)

Well, if you ask me, it's become a stale joke.

The people who use that term need to come up with new material. :rolleyes:

Can't agree more Vic...I said the same thing almost 2 years ago.:rolleyes:

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

In the virgins?

Now I've been 'in the weeds' and 'in the doghouse' (a lot) but ever since I turned 18 (not that I can remember that far back all that well) I've been out of the virgins. I'd love to know how you get back in though sometime <grin>

I think many of you are being way too critical of the o.p. She may be travelling solo, which makes the price of a Grill stateroom out of the reach of many, unlike the QE2. Perhaps in her past she has had a bad experience or two. I remember many of you criticizing this same poster years ago with her questions when she was concerned about taking her dog trans-Atlantic. I have never travelled Britannia myself, but I have walked passed the long line of folk waiting outside the Britannia door waiting for it to be rolled back and allow the flood of 1st seating diners to charge in, eat, and then,when their time is up, disburse in plenty of time so the tables may be reset and prepare for the influx of a thousand or so second seaters.

I will agree to one thing though, there is ( almost ) absolutely no difference in a B1 and a B2 other than having a few extra dollars in your purse and Cunard exaggerating "you have been upgraded from a B2 to a B1". It amazes me that the constant posters on this board may freely mention the word "steerage" but others, who may be not so familiar, are chastised for merely repeating what others have stated.

I think many of you are being way too critical of the o.p. She may be travelling solo, which makes the price of a Grill stateroom out of the reach of many, unlike the QE2. Perhaps in her past she has had a bad experience or two. I remember many of you criticizing this same poster years ago with her questions when she was concerned about taking her dog trans-Atlantic. I have never travelled Britannia myself, but I have walked passed the long line of folk waiting outside the Britannia door waiting for it to be rolled back and allow the flood of 1st seating diners to charge in, eat, and then,when their time is up, disburse in plenty of time so the tables may be reset and prepare for the influx of a thousand or so second seaters.

I will agree to one thing though, there is ( almost ) absolutely no difference in a B1 and a B2 other than having a few extra dollars in your purse and Cunard exaggerating "you have been upgraded from a B2 to a B1". It amazes me that the constant posters on this board may freely mention the word "steerage" but others, who may be not so familiar, are chastised for merely repeating what others have stated.

In the virgins?

Now I've been 'in the weeds' and 'in the doghouse' (a lot) but ever since I turned 18 (not that I can remember that far back all that well) I've been out of the virgins. I'd love to know how you get back in though sometime <grin>

Again, when we get together privately, I will teach you all about this! <G>

Karie,

who is sure you get it back after a certain amount of time!

Stop by with some MamaWanna from St Croix!

(AHA! She DOES know the REAL Virgins!)

Karie,

who even knows where to go and what to avoid when going there!

No, no, no. It's Painkillers, Bushwackers or Banana Daiquiris. :p Remind me & I'll make sure the blenders are raring to go for you.

No, no, no. It's Painkillers, Bushwackers or Banana Daiquiris. :p Remind me & I'll make sure the blenders are raring to go for you.

No Mamawanna?

I hear it has "special properties"

Karie,

whose friends shipped back a CASE of Mamawanna. Went to the Post office to pick it up. Case was empty. Seems Customs had themselves a little party!

Archived