Canadians Travelling to SA Vaccinations and Visas

C&C_cruising

You will need a visa for Brazil. It is easy to apply for. Check the Brazil Consulate in Canada website for the application form, price, when you should apply, etc. I was able to courier my passport to the consulate in Ottawa and get everything back within 10 days. I believe you can't apply for the visa more than 60 days before you'll be in Brazil.

The only vaccination that you may need would be for Yellow Fever. If you are travelling to the interior of Brazil, Amazon, etc. then it will be mandatory. Otherwise, I believe it is recommended, but not mandatory. Check the Brazil website and also Health Canada's website for information regarding shots. Brazil authorities demand a yellow fever shot depending on where you are travelling or depending on where you have travelled in the past few years. Apparently they can be quite picky. If you are only going to be in Rio, for example, to board the ship or disembark at the end of your cruise, then you don't need the yellow fever shot.

Before my SA cruise I had a yellow fever shot and also Hepatitis A&B shots. My feeling was better to be safe than sorry.

traveller123 is correct on the Brazilian Visa. If you are landing in Santiago there is a $135 per person entry fee. Its a reciprocal fee since we charge the same to Chileans when they come to Canada. You can't get through Customs without paying it.

We did not get any shots.

I think it would be helpful if you listed your itinerary. Yes, if you go to Brazil you will need a visa but many of the itineraries don't include Brazil since they go between Valparaiso, Chile and Buenos Aires, Argentina. And, if you go between the latter two points you won't need any mandatory vaccinations.

Keith

Archived