How many of you really pay attention to what others are wearing??

Happy ks

Actually, my point was asking people if they really paid attention. It was never intended as a debate whether or not to dress according to "code" (hate that term).

What I notice more than the actual clothing is how people carry themselves. For example, I don't usually care for Oprah Winfrey's clothing, its style or how it fits, but I really admire the way she stands, sits and walks with such supreme confidence.

I also admire the folks who walk with energy and spirit, folks who look happy, folks who smile, and so on. I also notice those who look angry or frustrated or appear to be looking down on everything and everyone in their path. An angry man in a tuxedo looks worse than a man in jeans IMHO.

On ships with many families, I don't notice their clothing so much as how parents seem to relate to their children. I cringe when I see parents say cruel or insulting things to their kids, belittle them or talk down to them or threaten them. But then that is really a subject for an entirely different thread.

What I notice more than the actual clothing is how people carry themselves.

An angry man in a tuxedo looks worse than a man in jeans IMHO.

On ships with many families, I don't notice their clothing so much as how parents seem to relate to their children. I cringe when I see parents say cruel or insulting things to their kids, belittle them or talk down to them or threaten them. But then that is really a subject for an entirely different thread.

I like what you have to say! Ugly can come in the most expensive clothing ;)

I'm not fond of observing other people discipline their kids, either, that needs to be done in private. I cringe when I see a parent either make empty threats or especially if they hit them in public. My poor kids didn't get second chances, we left if they acted up once in a restaurant. No crying, no whining, no getting out of your chair. We always respected our fellow diners peace and opportunity to dine without having to tolerate any bad behavior from our kids. Perhaps because we were older when we had them, I don't know, I'm sure there are younger parents who "get it"? No one wants to listen to you or your kid with raised voices.

I pay attention primarily when I see someone else that looks really good or is wearing something that I would love to wear. Seeing all the finery on formal nights is a unique part of the cruise experience for me.

You can't help but notice people in the dining room at night wearing "Joe's Crab Shack" tees, baggy cargo jeans and ball caps (this was at an adjacent table on the Constellation in 2005) but I did think at the time that they should not be allowed to wear that in the dining room but of course they were..No I would not confront anyone inappropriately dressed and yes I would ask to be moved from the table if these were my tablemates.

I pay attention primarily when I see someone else that looks really good or is wearing something that I would love to wear. Seeing all the finery on formal nights is a unique part of the cruise experience for me.

You can't help but notice people in the dining room at night wearing "Joe's Crab Shack" tees, baggy cargo jeans and ball caps (this was at an adjacent table on the Constellation in 2005) but I did think at the time that they should not be allowed to wear that in the dining room but of course they were..No I would not confront anyone inappropriately dressed and yes I would ask to be moved from the table if these were my tablemates.

We had tablemates on the Mariner who did not get carried away at all with dressing up. Casual night attire was a pair of faded jeans (they weren't even Levi's, gasp, :p) and a white, crew neck skivvy t-shirt, with his Corona straw hat, that he wore all the way through dinner. On formal night he showed up in the same pair of jeans, a white cotton, long sleeve shirt and a tie knotted in a square knot, seriously, a square knot. We did not ask to be moved, he and his girl friend were nice enough, and didn't seem to feel the least bit out of place with me in tux and the other guy at the table in suit and tie. All of that was to make the point that I'm not going to ask to be moved from the table I'm assigned to because of someone else, I don't care how they dress, long as I'm not sickened by their table manners, I'm not THAT concerned with their dress. If they can live with their choices, I can live with mine. Most of you have probably seen the pics of my wife and I posted here, we love to dress up, and do pretty much every night, and really go for it on formal nights. Looking forward to meeting you all and seeing your formal finery. Happy sailing.

Here is my laundry list of fashion no-nos::D

Many of us (those hovering near 60) are quite confused about how we should present ourselves. We're unsure about the kind of image we are projecting and whether or not we are correct as we try to conform to current fashions.

Despite what you may have seen on the streets, the following combinations:

DO NOT go together and should be avoided:

1. A nose ring and bifocals

2. Spiked hair and bald spots

3. A pierced tongue and dentures

4. Miniskirts and support hose

5. Ankle bracelets and corn pads

6. Speedo's and cellulite

7. A belly button ring and a gall bladder surgery scar

8. Unbuttoned disco shirts and a heart monitor

9. Midriff shirts and a midriff bulge

10. Bikinis and liver spots

11. Short shorts and varicose veins

12. Inline skates and a walker

And last, but not least . . . my personal favorite:

13. Thongs and Depends

Please keep these basic guidelines foremost in your mind when you go shopping.

Many of us (those hovering near 60) are quite confused about how we should present ourselves. We're unsure about the kind of image we are projecting and whether or not we are correct as we try to conform to current fashions.

13. Thongs and Depends

Truer words were never spoken.:D

esther e - very cute, I've had that emailed to me before:)

#9 isn't only limited to older people, though :o

I agree, it was quite funny, and #9 coupled with low rise, very tight jeans is now referred to as the "muffin top". Now that's funny!

There needs to be one that addresses the increasingly popular "tramp stamp" and other visible tattoos that women now have. I know it is a personal choice and it does not bother me but I do wonder how these will look as women age and become more mature. "My grandma has SIX tattoos" just seems WRONG:eek:

There needs to be one that addresses the increasingly popular "tramp stamp" and other visible tattoos that women now have. I know it is a personal choice and it does not bother me but I do wonder how these will look as women age and become more mature. "My grandma has SIX tattoos" just seems WRONG:eek:

Just check out grannies:D

13. Thongs and Depends

I don't get this joke... :confused:

::: searching brain for what it could mean :::

I think it applies to the list above. ;)

Also referred to as the Panama City License Plate, it's really kind of funny, I spent twenty years in the Navy, and don't have any tattoos, my wife, has two. Very inconspicuous, you'd never see them except when she's wearing a bathing suit, but she has them.

Typically, I do not pay much attention overall--well, I do appreciate nice outfits, but I don't "obsess" about it. However.........on the cruise I just got off of, the Millennium, there was a young woman who I walked past one night on the way to dinner who caught my eye. She had a dress with a jeweled thong--clearly visible, along with much skin. I came back to the table and mentioned her to my tablemates, all of whom had to walk by to see what I was talking about.

From that night on, seeing what this young woman wore, became part of our evening entertainment. The last night was best of all! She had on a very short dress with one strap and something that looked like safety pins holding together one side (from top to bottom)--remember that Elizabeth Hurley dress? We were at the dance club later that night and the poor girl had to keep tugging the bottom with one hand andthe top with the other. It is no exageration when I say her breast was coming out. It was definitely a dress for a red carpet- not for dancing.

I'm sorry- I'm bad.

Typically, I do not pay much attention overall--well, I do appreciate nice outfits, but I don't "obsess" about it. However.........on the cruise I just got off of, the Millennium, there was a young woman who I walked past one night on the way to dinner who caught my eye. She had a dress with a jeweled thong--clearly visible, along with much skin. I came back to the table and mentioned her to my tablemates, all of whom had to walk by to see what I was talking about.

From that night on, seeing what this young woman wore, became part of our evening entertainment. The last night was best of all! She had on a very short dress with one strap and something that looked like safety pins holding together one side (from top to bottom)--remember that Elizabeth Hurley dress? We were at the dance club later that night and the poor girl had to keep tugging the bottom with one hand andthe top with the other. It is no exageration when I say her breast was coming out. It was definitely a dress for a red carpet- not for dancing.

I'm sorry- I'm bad.

I always wonder about young women and string bikinis. I'm not talking about whether or not they have the body for it, that's irrelevant to my thoughts. When you see them on the beach or at a pool, they are consumed the whole time with adjusting the strings just so. I'm one that wants to put my clothes on and be done with it, no fussing around with it any more.

I always wonder about young women and string bikinis. I'm not talking about whether or not they have the body for it, that's irrelevant to my thoughts. When you see them on the beach or at a pool, they are consumed the whole time with adjusting the strings just so. I'm one that wants to put my clothes on and be done with it, no fussing around with it any more.

Isn't that the truth!!! I swam competitively for years (put myself through college on a swimming scholarship). So needless to say, the suits were one piece, no fuss, no muss. I also lifeguarded for the City of Los Angeles for 6 years. Again, two piece Speedo's was all that was allowed and I normally wore a one piece.

So when I went to college and went to the beach/Colorado River for fun, you absolutely had to have the SMALLEST bikini available. What a hassle!!! Even though I lived a good percentage of my life in a bathing suit, I still felt like I was "falling out" all the time and spent lots of time "adjusting".

Then moved to Hawaii-found the string bikinis made of cotton, with GOOD elastic and extra long ties kept everything in place. Don't know what the real difference was (maybe too much lycra/spandex), but finally found I could wear a little, little bikini and not futz around with it all day. Oh, for the memories!!!

I love tattoos!! I don't have any (fear of needles!!) but I find them so interesting and personal and I like to hear peoples stories behind them.

As I rapidly appoach Medicare age (65) I am still quite proud of my beautiful rose on my wrist. It's 30+ years old and still looks like new, and I have NEVER regretted for one second getting it !

I had a favorite uncle that had a turtle on his lower leg, a left over from his Navy days. I was inspired by that and always wanted one, but it those "olden" days it was hard to find a tattoo parlor !

I do generate strange looks from folks that notice my rose ! :eek:

:confused: :eek:

I will be honest I do look at what other people are wearing, but I don't look to judge but because I love clothing, fashion, colors, and just everything about clothing.

I also look to learn how some people match pieces, wear their hair, jewerly, and shoes.

I am not too bad at matching colors, fabrics, and designs but I am also afraid I may make a huge mistake so I always try to keep things simple. I also discover pieces of clothing on people that I thought would never work looks good together.

I will admit to my friends or DH when I see something I do like and sometimes when I see things I don't like.

I can honestly say that I think there are more women that do notice than women that don't. I think we are just born with that type of perception.

Archived