Hotel in Puerto Iguazu

aslaw

We are on the January 26 Star Princess and are going to Buenos Aries several days early. We are considering not staying at the Sheraton in the park and instead staying in the town of Iguazu. Has anyone stayed in town? Do any of you have hotel recommendations? Thanks.

We did stay at the Sheraton. We did pay the extra for the falls view. If I were to do it again I wouldn't pay the extra. However, staying right in the park has definite advantages worth a few $$ IMO. The trail to the Upper or Lower circuits is right at the property edge. In any event Iguazu is "a must see in your lifetime" place wherever you stay.

When I was there last year for the 2nd time, I stayed at Hotel Esturion. It's just a short walk from the center of town where some restaurants and a few shows are and about a 15-20 minute drive from the falls. But if you want to stay in Puerto Iguazu, this is a pretty nice place. The rooms could use just a tiny touch of updating, but they were large and very clean. Nice spa too. The pool was pretty nice also.

On my first trip to the falls, I stayed at the Sheraton, and of course there are wonderful benefits to staying right inside the park. But Hotel Esturion was pretty nice and they have a really great parilla dinner a few nights a week. Boy was that good!

We were there Dec 2006 and stayed at the Hotel St. George; you can't beat its location in town. It is about a block from the main bus terminal, where you catch the local bus to the park. There are several restaurants within easy walking distance. Breakfast was included and the staff were friendly and attentive.The pool was lovely. Rooms abit dated but clean. Hotel staff called for a minivan to take us to the airport. We felt we had the best of both worlds - lots of time to explore the park/falls and also an opportunity to experience the town, including a wonderful dinner at a local parilla.

I am staying at the Sheraton inside the park this winter. One of the benefits I was told is that staying inside the park you are not obligated to the park opening and closing times as you would outside.

We stayed at the Sheraton and were told you had to observe the opening and closing times. I am not sure you would want to be in the Park after all the staff are gone. Check it out though.

Really? Well that's good to know. I was told there is a first/last train per day but that we could walk around at other times.

May I ask what those hours are by the way? I'd like to know now :-)

You may be right. Certainly there is a first and last train to Devils Throat. There are other staffed facilities in the Park that would be closed. Here is the government site.

www.iguazuargentina.com You can email them your query. They respond promptly and are very helpful.

We stayed at the Sheraton in Feb of this year and were told we could not wander around the park after 6pm,but as we had been busy during the day, and once we had dinner it was quite late in the evening and we were ready for bed so we felt this restriction did not really affect us.As for when the park opens I am not sure as once again once we had breakfast everything was up and runnng.

• 4 weeks later...
What did you do with your luggage when you went to Iguassu? Did you take all of it with you? Or did you leave it somewhere in BA?

We overnighted in BA and got permission to stay off the ship for the night. So no problem with luggage.

What did you do with your luggage when you went to Iguassu? Did you take all of it with you? Or did you leave it somewhere in BA?

We will be in Iguassu in December, 2007. We have arranged to store our luggages at BA hotel with U$5 fee since we will return to the same hotel later.

I am staying at the Sheraton inside the park this winter. One of the benefits I was told is that staying inside the park you are not obligated to the park opening and closing times as you would outside.

We stayed at the Sheraton and I thought the hotel was worth the price considering its location. The benefit you are quoting is not exactly correct. We were told to leave the park about 30 minutes before dark because Jaguars are potentially a danger to you. I doubt that a jaguar would attack 4 adults as we were, but never the less the park is closed and you are not just allowed to ignore the signs.

I would not stay in town unless I was doing a significantly longer stay. For the single night we were there the Sheraton or the Hotel de Cattaras on the Brazilian side are the best choice for tourists in my opinion. I had a very decent meal at the Sheraton as well with an excellent steak and a nice bottle of wine.

jc

We did it from Rio, so we left our main luggage at the hotel in Ipanema, and we stayed there another night after our return from the park. We basically had a pair of backpacks with us when we flew to the park for a night.

jc

We stayed at the Sheraton and I thought the hotel was worth the price considering its location. The benefit you are quoting is not exactly correct. We were told to leave the park about 30 minutes before dark because Jaguars are potentially a danger to you. I doubt that a jaguar would attack 4 adults as we were, but never the less the park is closed and you are not just allowed to ignore the signs.

jc

Good information to know, thanks! Was '30 minutes before dark' itself later than the closing time, and was the closing time 6pm as I have been told?

Thanks!

Good information to know, thanks! Was '30 minutes before dark' itself later than the closing time, and was the closing time 6pm as I have been told?

Thanks!

At the time of the year we were there mid November it was overcast and I would guess sun set was sometime just before 7pm. I do believe we were asked to leave the park about 6:30pm. I do believe the signs say 6pm, but I am not 100% sure. From the Brazil side you can see the falls better than from the Sheraton. At the Sheraton you see the mist rising over the valley where the falls are and a bit of the falls. You can not see all of the falls from any one spot unless you take a helicopter flight. Those are easily booked at the falls.

Here are about 20 pictures from our South America trip from the falls.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11881555@N06/sets/72157602493477872/

let me know if it doesn't work. I am still trying to figure out flickr since yahoo closed their photos section.

jc

Archived