Tahitian Princess What to do? What to do?

conan

We're thinking of touring French Polynesia aboard the Tahitian Princess before Princess abandons the routing in December '08. We're planning on early October before the weather turns foul. The thing is... the shore excursions offered by Princess don't look like much. What is there to do that is interesting? My bride of 30+ years is not a snorkeller, and I am marginally so. Advice?

We're thinking of touring French Polynesia aboard the Tahitian Princess before Princess abandons the routing in December '08. We're planning on early October before the weather turns foul. The thing is... the shore excursions offered by Princess don't look like much. What is there to do that is interesting? My bride of 30+ years is not a snorkeller, and I am marginally so. Advice?

Check the archives on this board. There are lots of good suggestions for excursions other than snorkeling ones in all of the ports. In many of the posts there are suggestions for other sites with information on excursions. In some of the ports it would seem to be pretty easy to catch a tour at the dock.

If you decide on the 10/10/08 sailing, come join our Roll Call!

Lisa

Conan - nearly every island has a circle island tour, there are tours of pearl farms, vanilla plantations, as well as 4x4 excursions. We enjoyed visiting the Tiki Theater on Moorea, the botannical garden on Tahiti (along with the Paul Gauguin museum).

There's lots of stuff to do, proportionally, on each island and we had a lot of fun just exploring the islands we visited.

Charlie

What is there to do that is interesting? My bride of 30+ years is not a snorkeller, and I am marginally so. Advice?

To me the only reason to go is the water. Yes, the 4x4 tours are wonderful and give you a spectacular view. Yes, the pearl and vanilla farms were interesting. Yes you can drive around the island and see what there is to see. BUT, to me, they are not worth the cost and effort it requires to get to such a far away place. The water is the unbelievable clear, the fish are very plentiful and in colors you would not believe. THAT is worth the trouble.

On our past Tahitian cruise, we ate at a table with a pair of women who did not like water and were not having a great time. :eek:

Obviously everybody has different enjoyments, expectations etc. on what to get out of a vacation. But, once again, to me, if I just wanted a tropical vacation and had no intention of getting in the water, I would just go to Hawaii (at a fraction of the cost).

Make the choice that is best for you and enjoy it.

We're going on this cruise next April and as much as I love to swim in the ocean (or at least get into it) I'm not a big snorkeller either but I'm looking forward to this wonderful cruise. There are a few books on French Polynesia you can get at Chapters....they give you some other ideas on things to do an the different ports. Enjoy

Hi 2ndsailing,

We are also from Canada and will be on the April 28th 2008 sailing. What part of Canada are you from? We are from Peterborough Ontario.

I also am not too fond of snorkling but I plan to go in the water a lot. I bought Frommers book and it is excellent. Hope we can get to the Cook Islands

Sherrill:)

Hi 2ndsailing,

We are also from Canada and will be on the April 28th 2008 sailing. What part of Canada are you from? We are from Peterborough Ontario.

I also am not too fond of snorkling but I plan to go in the water a lot. I bought Frommers book and it is excellent. Hope we can get to the Cook Islands

Sherrill:)

Hi Sherrill:

I read your last post on our roll call...yup its me....

Have you ever sailed on a Celebrity Cruise? I'm looking ahead to Christmas 2008 and looking for something that our sons will enjoy too. They'll be 21 and 18 then.

I have sailed on Celebrity's Zenith, Mercury and Summit. I think that the age group is older and not sure you kids would find enough people of their own age. Maybe you should ask the question on the Celebrity boards. The ships and service are excellent. I have also been on HAL same age groups. I think families enjoy Royal Carribean or Carnival.

Sherrill

You folks who say you are not big snorklers - well I never was a big snorkler either UNTIL I went to French Polynesia the first time - it will change your attitude toward snorkeling. I can't get enough of it - Moorea / Bora Bora / Tahaa and Huahine were spectacular.

Larry

You folks who say you are not big snorklers - well I never was a big snorkler either UNTIL I went to French Polynesia the first time - it will change your attitude toward snorkeling. I can't get enough of it - Moorea / Bora Bora / Tahaa and Huahine were spectacular.

Larry

Its not that I don't like snorkling...I'm just not a great swimmer. Someone told me I should buy this floatable exercise belt,. It would go around my waist and help me feel more secure in the water.

I am not a snorkler and not much of a swimmer either. My DH is an advanced scuba diver yet it was my idea back in 2005 to go to the French Polynesia and we are both so glad that we did. So much that we are going back in February and can't wait. He does the water stuff and I'm into scenery.

While my DH was diving I took other tours and loved it. In Moorea, I took the Motu cruise tour with Princess and had a great time. Next time I will do an island tour. In Raietea, I found a tour at the pier to the Faaroa River. The views were stunning. Next time I want to do Tahaa. In Bora Bora we did a private tour with 3 other friends. It was mainly water, snorkling, sharks, manta rays etc....I stayed on the boat (with refreshments) and the finale was a champage picnic in the water which was the one thing I dreamed of doing in the FP. It was an incredible experience not forgetting to mention again the stunning views. In Tahiti we did the island tour which was beautiful also. I love the waterfalls. In Rangiroa I went to the Pearl farm and to the beach. I can remember the incredible feeling I had just standing waist deep in there water and watching the fish (every colour of the rainbow) swimming around me and coming right to my hands. OMG, I'm getting excited just talking about it.

I guess the best thing I can say is......the French Polynesia is sooooooo beautiful. I came back with over 1000 pictures and look at them all the time.

I say to everyone if you are considering going then you best do it next year. You certainly won't be dissapointed.

As far as the foul weather, you must mean here in Ontario.

I also want to go back to see this water.....

168425915106_0_ALB.jpg

Carol...I'll have to send you a link to my pics.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your input. I may have enough info from you to persuade/convince/encourage DW to join me. For those of you who asked: the weather referred to was the rainy season in Polynesia which extends from late October to April. We're from southern Ontario, place called Kitchener and the twin city of Waterloo, famous for its univerities, insurance companies, Oktoberfest and Research in Motion (Blackberry inventor/producer)

Archived