Pinnacle Grill Question

RLH

I'm going to be on Veendam 10/28 and wanted to know what would be a good night to schedule dinner at the Pinnacle. I think that missing the Dutch night menu would not be too tragic. Is there anyway of knowing which night that would be? This is my first post here and my first time on HAL. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

RLH

Welcome to HAL and CC. You can ask the Maitre D' if there is going to be a Dutch night. Not all ships are having it these days. Don't be so sure you wouldn't like it though. Dutch Pea Soup on HAL ships is wonderful. Sometimes Dover Sole is still on the menu but not often --- I was told it is getting scarce and hard to get large enough supplies to provision all the ships. (Not to mention how pricey.) Read the Dutch menu (if there is one) before you decide you don't like it.

Is your cruise 14 days? If so, there will be plenty of days for you to choose from to dine in Pinnacle.

Have a great cruise.

When I called HAL to make my Pinnacle Grill reservations they were able to tell me which night would be Dutch Night. When you do call HAL be prepared with the port schedule so that you know how much time you’ll have to get dressed up for the Pinnacle Grill after getting back to the ship.

Aunty Pay

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom

NCL - Norway, Pride of America Southward, Star, Starward, Sun & Windward

RCC - Song of America

American Hawaiian - Independence

HAL - Noordam, Oosterdam, Prinsendam, Statendam, Volendam, Zuiderdam

Carnival - Spirit

Celebrity - Summit

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper

Princess - Golden Princess

A & K - East Queen

Hi: I like to eat in the dining room on formal nights--since usually the food is special those nights. So we choose PG on nights that are not formal. I think the price has gone up this year, (from $20 to $30 per person) or at least since last January when we were on the Zaandam. MJ

RLH

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

On your seven day cruise, the formal nights will be your first sea day which would be a Tuesday and the other formal night is Thursday -- good night to go to the Pinnacle. JMO -- the lobster tails are too small. Another good night to go to the Pinnacle would be Wednesday.

kk: what do you mean by "too small" .. can't you order more than 1:confused:

must respectfully disagree about going to Pinnacle on 2nd formal night .. if this is the first time on HAL for the OP, he might want to see the "parade of the baked Alaska"

Sea King

The lobster tails we have seen are small -- about 2 bites. DH ordered them the first time this past cruise in years -- He got one that was about 4 bites. Another reason why we don't chose them is because the waiters have no choice but to keep them covered until they are served. Keeping them covered tends to keep them cooking and therefore they become tough and chewy - JMO. Guess we are spoiled since where we live we get really big and good lobster tails.

As for the Parade - we haven't bothered with it in years.

Also notice that I made a suggestion for another night for the OP to dine at the Pinnacle.

Ohhh I wish we got "really big and good lobster tails." Being in land locked Colorado, the lobster tails on the ship may be smaller than what we can get here, but IMHO the quality on HAL is better that most restaurants here. Of course, that's not including the $50 lobster tail restaurants :)

RLH, since it's your first cruise I'd pick a non-formal night to dine in the Pinnacle. Whatever you decide - have a great cruise!!

Sea King

The lobster tails we have seen are small -- about 2 bites. DH ordered them the first time this past cruise in years -- He got one that was about 4 bites. Another reason why we don't chose them is because the waiters have no choice but to keep them covered until they are served. Keeping them covered tends to keep them cooking and therefore they become tough and chewy - JMO. Guess we are spoiled since where we live we get really big and good lobster tails.

As for the Parade - we haven't bothered with it in years.

Also notice that I made a suggestion for another night for the OP to dine at the Pinnacle.

We had dinner in PG both formal nights and I dont feel like we missed anything really. I looked at the menu posted. KK is absolutely correct about the lobster tails, the piece of meat in them looked to be about 3 inches long... I am nosey I looked at what was being served :)

Instead I had a porterhouse that could have fed two people in PG that was cooked perfectly. Being from New England and coming from a family in seafood business I know that I am spoiled. But if you enjoy lobster and dont have a chance to get it at home, then go for it...PG will still be there on the other nights :)

Archived