Live from the Sun

shoreguy

Just thought I should check in and let everyone know my Alaska sunburn is getting better. In Skagway today and the traditional clouds and showers are here. Feels more loke Alaska.

Caught six salmon in Ketchikan and got a major sunburn - welcome to Alaska's rainiest city :)

The ship is still in great shape. We did the Tracy Arm Cat yesterday it was outstanding. The ship never made it all the way to Sawyer Glacier but we did. Stoppped to watch six Humpbacks play for 30 minutes. Just a great excursion.

The AD is a great. I have had smaller cabins then the bath and dressing area. Service has been wonderful. I will try and post a more complete review when we return.

Hi shoreguy... I have been following your weather and saving captures from the Bridge Cam... I was so sad to see Skagway 'socked in' today with fog :(

Enjoy Wrangell tomorrow but it looks like rain again for you my friend, have fun and let your smile be your umbrella. :D

The fog lifted in Skagway and we did the White Pass RR. The trip was good. Today in Wrangell the rain was hit or miss. Not much to see here. We did the Jeep Explorer - my advice save your money - travel a logging road to see where the great forests of Alaska have been clear cut.

Details to follow

Thanks Cassie - a smile always works - our tour today was so bad the three of us were laughing the whole way. We had a great time trying to hit every pothole.

Shoreguy,

Looking forward to you full review...only hoping it will be posted before my family and I leave Hawaii on Sat. 4 Sept 04 to cruise Alaska on the Sun. Glad you are enjoying yourself despite the weather.

If by any chance you are on the 10th deck could you take a peek in at 0065 and let me know what it looks like.

Casshew,

Just wanted to let you know I truely enjoyed your detail review/critic of your cruise. I can now say that I am truly excited about our very first cruise, I must confess I was a bit apprehensive after reading initial reviews.

Shoreguy,
I also am looking forward to your full review. Septerber 12, will be my 1st cruise and it will be on the Sun. If you do check out deck 10 for Lrobin, please look in on 0018. Sorry to hear about the jeep trip in Wrangell as I am signed up for that.
Stay dry and enjoy

Hi Shoreguy!
I'm headed to Alaska next Sunday.
I too am sunburned but it is from the beach up here in Mass.
HOT and HUMID today.

The shopping must be great up there seeing as it is getting to the end of the season?

Have a blast for me. Are you going to Sitka?

Rene

Saltan --

We were in cabin 0215 in June, on the other side of the ship from yours. Great location! Right near the Atrium elevators, which are a little slow, close enough to the front set of elevators, and the stairs are easily accessible. Up one flight and you're on pool deck (don't know how much you'll use it in Alaska, but it's right there). From the deck layout pictures, it looks like you will be right below the fitness center.

The cabins are wonderful -- not a whole lot of hanging closet space, but plenty of drawer/shelf space. Anything else you want to know before you go?

lrobin-

i hate to bug shoreguy about looking at any more rooms, so i thought i might bug you! we will be in 9076(directly under 0065) in january of 05. i would really like to hear what your room was like, and all the good stuff that comes with it. have fun on your cruise, and please let us know how it went.

ute fan,
Thanks for the offer. I think I have read about every trip report and anything about the Sun. I've driven my wife nuts with the one liner tips that I have picked up from these boards for about the last year. Can't believe in 2 weeks i'll be in Vancouver at the Delta suites, wakeing up and heading for the docks.
As long as Shoreguy doesn't eat all the shrimp, I"ll be happy.

I will try and take a peak at the rooms - but I need a pen to write them all down.

Still raining but thats ok. The good luck lives on. I won the blackjack tournament an hour ago and booked the Dawn to the Western in Feb. 06.

One other piece of news - even though one member got flamed for posting this it is true - 35 members of the bar staff wher put off the ship last month on a weds.

No one will say why. All I can get is it "was not good". It is clear they have been told not to say a thing. The only reason I asked is the bartenders are not up to speed. If you find a good one stay with him/her. Most are using shot glasses and pouring a bit light.

Sun out

[quote name='Fran0521']Hope NCL replaces those 35 people by our November cruise :(

Have heard that happen in the islands for various reasons, wonder what happened in Alaska? Interesting[/QUOTE]
Fran, honestly do not worry at all... I was on the Sun the week after these 35 employees were let go and I did not notice any lag, or shortage of staff. There were 2 bartenders at every bar, lots of people walking around offering drinks.

I can't imagine what these 35 people must have did, if I hadn't heard about them I would have never noticed them missing.

You will have a great time in November :)

[quote name='Lib0007']Congrats on winning the blackjack tournament!! And if that paid for your next cruise, you are really lucky. Hope that luck lives on during my upcoming cruise.

Enjoy the trip home.[/QUOTE]

Not enough to pay for the cruise but enough to cover the deposit. If you win money on onboard you have to give it back it is like taking lava from Hawaii. Until it is returned you are in for bad luck :D

[quote name='Casshew']Fran, honestly do not worry at all... I was on the Sun the week after these 35 employees were let go and I did not notice any lag, or shortage of staff. There were 2 bartenders at every bar, lots of people walking around offering drinks.

I can't imagine what these 35 people must have did, if I hadn't heard about them I would have never noticed them missing.

You will have a great time in November :)[/QUOTE]

The bar service is fine. Fully staffed and ready to take your card. It was clear that many were new to the job carefully measuring each drink. I can assure you there were no over pours at most of the bars. Order a drink get 1 measured shot. Order a 10 oz Grey Goose Martini for 10.50 plus tip and watch the bartender pour two less then full shot glasses in the shaker of watery ice not priceless.

[quote name='shoreguy']The bar service is fine. Fully staffed and ready to take your card. It was clear that many were new to the job carefully measuring each drink. I can assure you there were no over pours at most of the bars. Order a drink get 1 measured shot. Order a 10 oz Grey Goose Martini for 10.50 plus tip and watch the bartender pour two less then full shot glasses in the shaker of watery ice not priceless.[/QUOTE]

I'm not really worried about the bar service, if there is a drink to be wanted and one to be made, they will manage. The question is wonder what happened that they let 35 go at once? One of our trips one of the CD staff was let go immediately, he got caught smuggling and selling drugs. He should have known better. You wouldn't mind he was a great entertainer.

[quote name='Fran0521']I'm not really worried about the bar service, if there is a drink to be wanted and one to be made, they will manage. The question is wonder what happened that they let 35 go at once? One of our trips one of the CD staff was let go immediately, he got caught smuggling and selling drugs. He should have known better. You wouldn't mind he was a great entertainer.[/QUOTE]

Nobody but nobody will talk about it. There must be a gag order in place. It really it not our business anyway.

Archived