Atacama desert from Santiago

jruth4

Has anybody been to the Atacama desert in northern Chile? We were thinking of doing this after our Azamara Cruise which ends up in Valpariso on Jan 10, 2008. If you have been there, how much time would we need, and how did you get there? I'm assuming we have to fly. Did you use any guide or travel agency? Where did you stay? I'm hoping there is someone who reads these boards who has made this trip. Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Judith

We are going to Atacama Desert after our cruise as well, but not until February 2008. You can book air through Cocha Travel which is based in Chile. It's less expensive than booking directly through Lan Air online. You can goggle search Atacama Desert and find hotel packages and hotel and tour packages. It's less expensive to book hotel and local tours separately. Hope this helps.

I worked there last year (I'm a geologist and the area is a major mining area). It is fairly easy to get to. You take a plane to La Serena, which is a pretty sea side town popular with locals as a holiday destination. It is a short trip and shouldnt cost much. From there you can hire a 4x4. Be aware that roads are poor and you need to pack the vehicle for desert conditions, ie lots of water, some food and spare fuel. It is a safe journey and can be done in a less than a day. Head for the town of Vallenar which is on the outskirts of the desert

Atacama Desert is inland and close to Calama. You can fly to Calama and there are shuttles to take you to San Pedro de Atacama, about an hour drive away. There are several hotels and tour operators in the town of San Pedro de Atacama which serve as the base for the Atacama Desert. There is a big mine near Calama but not in San Pedro de Atacama. Happy Travels!

We are going to Atacama Desert after our cruise as well, but not until February 2008. You can book air through Cocha Travel which is based in Chile. It's less expensive than booking directly through Lan Air online. You can goggle search Atacama Desert and find hotel packages and hotel and tour packages. It's less expensive to book hotel and local tours separately. Hope this helps.

SSN, Thanks for the information about Cocha Travel. Do this have a website? If you don't mind I would like to know what you actually booked in Atacama. Also how long are you staying, and what are you doing with your luggage which is always bountiful for a cruise? Are you on the same around the horn cruise in Feb, as we are taking in December?

I've started to look, and have done some reading. I am really in a quandry because our cruise is 18 days and we will see so many beautiful things, that it might be overkill on this trip. We only can stay 4 days and 3 nights and I wonder also if that is long enough. On the other hand why put this off when in a few years it will be more touristy, and probably more expensive than it is now.

The alternative which is more relaxing and less interesting is spending a few days in Miami visiting my dad.

If you would rather you can back channel me at jkleinlcsw@gmail.com.

Thanks for any information,

Judith

Archived