Off, But On, Topic - Infant Swimming Resource

sas80

Does anyone know anything/have any opinions about the Infant Swimming Resource technique/classes?

They teach kids between the ages of 4 months and 13 months(?) to float as a lifesaving technique and they teach kids over 13 months to do a float/swim as a lifesaving technique.

I'm not going to post the website here because I dont want this to be a solicitation. You can google on Infant Swimming Resource for more info.

We are signed up to start next Monday and I am curious to learn more from people who have taken the classes or know about it.

As irrrelavant as this post may seem, it is relevant when we consider how much time we spend near the water as part of our cruise vacations - both on the ship and on beaches.

Does anyone know anything/have any opinions about the Infant Swimming Resource technique/classes?

They teach kids between the ages of 4 months and 13 months(?) to float as a lifesaving technique and they teach kids over 13 months to do a float/swim as a lifesaving technique.

I'm not going to post the website here because I dont want this to be a solicitation. You can google on Infant Swimming Resource for more info.

We are signed up to start next Monday and I am curious to learn more from people who have taken the classes or know about it.

As irrrelavant as this post may seem, it is relevant when we consider how much time we spend near the water as part of our cruise vacations - both on the ship and on beaches.

Hi there,

MY DS is 15 months and just finished his Infant Swim Resourse lessons. The information I recieved before starting the class actually stated they teach 6months - 1 year how to float/safety aand 1 year and older how to float and float/swim tech.

I have to say I have nothing but glowing recommendations for the guy who taught my son. He was wonderful. Despite the fact that as much as my son LOVES to go in the pool at grandmas he screamed each and every lesson for all 6 weeks. I felt so much better the day he was in his cloths and they had him resuce himself in the pool (BTW the instructor was actually still in the pool with him), he was a totally differnt swimmer then when he started. I feel much safer now when he is at grandmas.

There are two important things to keep in mind before starting lessons. Each instructer is different and you need to feel comfortable with the instructor. My baby sister is 11 years old and actually took lessons though infant swim too. Her first instructor was AWFUL. Her children were running around the pool deck and she was paying so much attention to them she was scaring my mom. Her second instructor was WONDERFUL and she made my mom feel safe. The instructor I had for my DS actually had me come and observer a lesson before I started which made me a lot more comfortable since I was scared from my mom's first experinace.

The second thing to know and this is why the comfort with the instructor is so important is the way they teach. They do make the child finish what they start. So sometimes your child maybe under water for what seems like a lot longer then you feel comfortable with but remember they are trained to watch for signs from the child and will only let them stay under as long as they are safe. YOu will also notice EVERY time they do a task the instructor will rub their back. This is to check the childs color... if it changes back really fast they are fine but if they touch it and the color takes longer to come back they know the child either needs to burp or to end the lesson for the day so the child can air out so to say. The important thing is your child will look to you for how to react and if you freak out at all by them being under the water or crying they will react acordingly. That is one of the hardest things to do during these lessons and thus why you have to feel 100% comfortable with your choosen instructor.

The one bad thing I saw. Was that after the first 2 weeks my son was no longer afraid of the water and at grandmas pool he would go right in at the steps which kind of scraed me. HOwever, the end result was worth the extra eyes I had on him diring the 2 to 6 week period.

I am absoultly amazed how my DS now acts in the pool. Before lessons he hated to float and would NEVER do it. NOw if he trys to swim to the side and misses grabbing it he goes right on his back and floats to breath and then tries again until he gets the side. Living in florida I think it is a must to do this kid of lesson as soon as possible and I would think it would translate into vacations too.

If you have any questions I would be more then happy to answer them. Also, I have a video of my son during his lesson with the cloths I might be able to send you.

Katie Murray

Hi there,

MY DS is 15 months and just finished his Infant Swim Resourse lessons. The information I recieved before starting the class actually stated they teach 6months - 1 year how to float/safety aand 1 year and older how to float and float/swim tech.

I have to say I have nothing but glowing recommendations for the guy who taught my son. He was wonderful. Despite the fact that as much as my son LOVES to go in the pool at grandmas he screamed each and every lesson for all 6 weeks. I felt so much better the day he was in his cloths and they had him resuce himself in the pool (BTW the instructor was actually still in the pool with him), he was a totally differnt swimmer then when he started. I feel much safer now when he is at grandmas.

There are two important things to keep in mind before starting lessons. Each instructer is different and you need to feel comfortable with the instructor. My baby sister is 11 years old and actually took lessons though infant swim too. Her first instructor was AWFUL. Her children were running around the pool deck and she was paying so much attention to them she was scaring my mom. Her second instructor was WONDERFUL and she made my mom feel safe. The instructor I had for my DS actually had me come and observer a lesson before I started which made me a lot more comfortable since I was scared from my mom's first experinace.

The second thing to know and this is why the comfort with the instructor is so important is the way they teach. They do make the child finish what they start. So sometimes your child maybe under water for what seems like a lot longer then you feel comfortable with but remember they are trained to watch for signs from the child and will only let them stay under as long as they are safe. YOu will also notice EVERY time they do a task the instructor will rub their back. This is to check the childs color... if it changes back really fast they are fine but if they touch it and the color takes longer to come back they know the child either needs to burp or to end the lesson for the day so the child can air out so to say. The important thing is your child will look to you for how to react and if you freak out at all by them being under the water or crying they will react acordingly. That is one of the hardest things to do during these lessons and thus why you have to feel 100% comfortable with your choosen instructor.

The one bad thing I saw. Was that after the first 2 weeks my son was no longer afraid of the water and at grandmas pool he would go right in at the steps which kind of scraed me. HOwever, the end result was worth the extra eyes I had on him diring the 2 to 6 week period.

I am absoultly amazed how my DS now acts in the pool. Before lessons he hated to float and would NEVER do it. NOw if he trys to swim to the side and misses grabbing it he goes right on his back and floats to breath and then tries again until he gets the side. Living in florida I think it is a must to do this kid of lesson as soon as possible and I would think it would translate into vacations too.

If you have any questions I would be more then happy to answer them. Also, I have a video of my son during his lesson with the cloths I might be able to send you.

Katie Murray

Thank you so much for your response. I figured there might be tears and fear involved. As scared as I am, your post will help prepare me.

I will be sure to pass your post along to my husband since he will be with me at every lesson. We will be able to support each other.

Yes, if you could send me the video, that would be great.

sasproul at gmail dot com

thanks

The classes are good as bonding time for you & your son and getting him aquainted with the water etc. They will most likely not make your child safer in the water. I work in the field of child abuse so we get all the drowning/near drowning cases. When a very young child falls in the water accidently, they are so panicked and shocked that they react by panicking and not by remembering lifesaving techniques unfortunately. They can easily remember them when not under stress like swimming in the pool with you, but when they fall in, they are stressed and they just panic and drown. Unfortunately we see more drowning cases of babies who have taken swim lessons than not, probably because as the last poster mentioned, the lessons remove the natural fear of water that children have and they feel safer around water. Just be careful and always supervise your baby around water no matter what.

Julie

Sorry, don't know about that class, but do suggest you take a CPR class for infants. And, stop spoiling your kiddo! Made the same mistake taking mine on cruises as a baby and now he is a 12 year old master diver, beach bum, world traveller, cruisaholic and Jimmy Buffet wannabee.:D

Dave

Divemaster; Dive Con; Scuba Ranger Leader; Life Guard, First Aid, CPR and AED Instructor, etc.

Sorry, don't know about that class, but do suggest you take a CPR class for infants. And, stop spoiling your kiddo! Made the same mistake taking mine on cruises as a baby and now he is a 12 year old master diver, beach bum, world traveller, cruisaholic and Jimmy Buffet wannabee.:D

Dave

Divemaster; Dive Con; Scuba Ranger Leader; Life Guard, First Aid, CPR and AED Instructor, etc.

Thanks Dave! Infant CPR/general CPR class is scheduled for 9am Sept 22nd!

The classes are good as bonding time for you & your son and getting him aquainted with the water etc. They will most likely not make your child safer in the water. I work in the field of child abuse so we get all the drowning/near drowning cases. When a very young child falls in the water accidently, they are so panicked and shocked that they react by panicking and not by remembering lifesaving techniques unfortunately. They can easily remember them when not under stress like swimming in the pool with you, but when they fall in, they are stressed and they just panic and drown. Unfortunately we see more drowning cases of babies who have taken swim lessons than not, probably because as the last poster mentioned, the lessons remove the natural fear of water that children have and they feel safer around water. Just be careful and always supervise your baby around water no matter what.

Julie

I find this rather interesting as all the cases I am aware of and all the statistics that I have found show that taking a safety swim class ( this is different from swimming lessons) actually does help to prevent drowning. It teaches the child how to survive if he/she falls into a body of water or pool. It is not ment as a way to teach your child how to swim so you don't pay attention but how to float etc. for those 3 to 5 minutes that statisics say is the amount of time that it could take for a child to slip away from an adult and drown. The way infant swim teaches is very scary to some parents becuase you will see your child panic. And yes you have to keep an extra close eye on your child for the first few weeks after they lose their fear of the water. However, once they have mastered the lifesaving teqniques you feel much safer. I have to say before the lessons my son paniced when he even just went under in the tub which was like 3 inches deep. Now, the other day a friend was watching him and he got out of her sight for a few seconds. She saw him just as he feel into the water. He did panic for a brief second and then he actually turned on his back and floated like they taught him. I have to say for me that is 100% better then what he did before infant swim so I do not agree with the fact that the lessons don't help. BTW I just have to say again check your statistics as most infants and children that down have not taken infant survial swim classes. I apologize if this sounds rude to the above poster at all it's just I have learned first hand how important survial swim lessons are. It only takes a second for your child to slip away even when you are watching them. It's wonderful and even perfered to know CPR but it can not help you if your child has been under the water for too long, which in some cases is less then 3 minutes. I have heard of way to many cases here in florida and even know someone who went thought it. I would 100% hope that eveey parent who lives close to water of any kind would put thier children in survial awim lessons no matter how scary it is.

As for the original poster, I have tried to send the video but unfortunatly it is to large and I can not figure out how to cut it down. I am going to see if there is somewhere I can post it so you can see it.

Julie

Actually, these classes are designed with the ultimate goal of specifically teaching him how to stay calm, float, and cry out,while fully clothed, if he falls into a body of water.

You should probably google the phrase to get a better idea of what this really is. I will not be in the water. My baby will be in the water with the instructor, teaching him how to float. This type of class isn't geared towards bonding, it's specifically geared towards helping him learn how to help (and save) himself.

It's wonderful and even perfered to know CPR but it can not help you if your child has been under the water for too long, which in some cases is less then 3 minutes.

THIS is what I realize and worry about most. I can learn CPR and breathe for anyone, BUT, if the person has been under the water too long, chances are very slim for rescue...

As for the original poster, I have tried to send the video but unfortunatly it is to large and I can not figure out how to cut it down. I am going to see if there is somewhere I can post it so you can see it.

Can you use winZip to zip it? Burn it onto a CD and mail it to me?

I am not trying in anyway discourage the classes. If they prevent even one drowning then they are absolutely worth it!!

I was just sharing from my local experience. I am a pediatric nurse practitioner and I sit in death review commitees for my area. These past 2 years drownings have unfortunately increased in my area and our local medical examiner was sharing about a conference he went to that explained more infants/toddlers drown who have had swim lessons than not because they lose their natural fear of the water so they are more comfortable around water and are more likely to gravitate toward it. I doubt it was the lifesaving swim class you all are describing that he was talking about.

I will google it. Sorry if I offended anyone that wasnt my intent. Please let me know how the classes go. I wanted to look into it for my DD but was always nervous because of what I heard.

Julie

I am not trying in anyway discourage the classes. If they prevent even one drowning then they are absolutely worth it!!

I was just sharing from my local experience. I am a pediatric nurse practitioner and I sit in death review commitees for my area. These past 2 years drownings have unfortunately increased in my area and our local medical examiner was sharing about a conference he went to that explained more infants/toddlers drown who have had swim lessons than not because they lose their natural fear of the water so they are more comfortable around water and are more likely to gravitate toward it. I doubt it was the lifesaving swim class you all are describing that he was talking about.

I will google it. Sorry if I offended anyone that wasnt my intent. Please let me know how the classes go. I wanted to look into it for my DD but was always nervous because of what I heard.

Julie

I was going to post this same observation. Statistically, it is the fear of the water that reduces a small child's odds of drowning during his/her early years. Reducing or removing this fear via infant safety courses actually increases the near-term probability of a drowning. In the end it's a trade-off, but this is the reason we did NOT do infant swim lessons.

I think where the confussion comes in is there is a big differnace between swimming lessons and survival lessons. I know there are lots of different programs that teach survival but the only one I am firmilar with is INfant Swim. I like them b/c in order to graduate they HAVE to be able to safe themselves fully clothed after falling into a pool.

TO orignial poster... I am going to find a program to zip the file so I can send it to you.

Katie

My boys BOTH did ISR--I thought it was called Infant Swimming Research back then--I forget as they are now 11 and 14.

We live in Fl and there are so many water hazards--and every year at least a few drown ...

If I remember correctly--the lessons were 5-10 minutes long, every day.

We kept track of food and diapers etc..because they need to know about the water the kids swallow etc..

The boys learned well and it was time and money very well spent.

In fact, Our DS11 was going down the slide at DisneyWorld at the Contemporarey Hotel--plunging into the pool--and coming up--and then floating on his back to get his air--at age 2!

One of our boys--I forget which one--but I think It was also DS11 --at about 2 fell off a dock trying to round the corner--and he misjudged his footing....he came up and turned over just as trained!

We did refresher courses each season--so they could --with longer arms/legs --turn over etc and could handle the clothing and shoes expereince confidentally.

I really can recommend this program if we aretalking about the same thing. The instructor makes all the difference--I talked with the founder once by phone because he called me about my evaluation--My instructor got an award that year!

If you are going to be with children near water--its a good training to have..absolutely.

It doesn't drown -proof

Rather--It gives them skills that help them turn over, propel themselves face down holding their breath, and then roll over to rest and breath. Then they get to an edge of the pool or dock etc to hold on etc...

No child should be left unattended near any water hazard.

Just my 2 cents

We started on Monday. DS hated it but we are not going to give up.

We figure it's just like the saline we squirt up his nose 2 times a day, he hated that when we started it but he eventually got used to it (resigned himself)

We don't live around water (at least not closely) but kids fall into bodies of water all the time.

We will take him back in a year for swim-float-swim lessons. We have to do fall lessons as she only teaches during the mornings in spring.

We started on Monday. DS hated it but we are not going to give up.

We figure it's just like the saline we squirt up his nose 2 times a day, he hated that when we started it but he eventually got used to it (resigned himself)

We don't live around water (at least not closely) but kids fall into bodies of water all the time.

We will take him back in a year for swim-float-swim lessons. We have to do fall lessons as she only teaches during the mornings in spring.

In my opinion-well worth your time and money

As my friend/instructor said----The kids hate vaccines too--but we do it for their health and well being...

Like your child,

Both of my boys hated it at the beginning--because they are unsure

--but each time they realize that they can do it--and they get calmer and become strong swimmers--not panic'ing

I was always so amazed at how after a short period of time--the kids can propel themselves, turn over to rest and also grab the sides etc..

very cool!

My boys BOTH did ISR--I thought it was called Infant Swimming Research back then--I forget as they are now 11 and 14.

We live in Fl and there are so many water hazards--and every year at least a few drown ...

If I remember correctly--the lessons were 5-10 minutes long, every day.

We kept track of food and diapers etc..because they need to know about the water the kids swallow etc..

The boys learned well and it was time and money very well spent.

In fact, Our DS11 was going down the slide at DisneyWorld at the Contemporarey Hotel--plunging into the pool--and coming up--and then floating on his back to get his air--at age 2!

One of our boys--I forget which one--but I think It was also DS11 --at about 2 fell off a dock trying to round the corner--and he misjudged his footing....he came up and turned over just as trained!

We did refresher courses each season--so they could --with longer arms/legs --turn over etc and could handle the clothing and shoes expereince confidentally.

I really can recommend this program if we aretalking about the same thing. The instructor makes all the difference--I talked with the founder once by phone because he called me about my evaluation--My instructor got an award that year!

If you are going to be with children near water--its a good training to have..absolutely.

It doesn't drown -proof

Rather--It gives them skills that help them turn over, propel themselves face down holding their breath, and then roll over to rest and breath. Then they get to an edge of the pool or dock etc to hold on etc...

No child should be left unattended near any water hazard.

Just my 2 cents

Thank you, you worded that so well. I agree 100%

sas80 : I know what you mean my DS hated it the whole time. (most kids we watched stoped screaming after a few lessons) It totally broke my heart watching my DS kick and scream while he was getting his lessons.

Good luck and keep remembering like with shots it will be over soon and you will feel much better =)

Katie

Archived