Pride Drydock

piatty73

I just returned from the sailing that took the Pride into drydock. The capt gave us some information and it appears that it will be an extensive refit. The main lounge upstairs will have the back glass taken out along with the tacky plastic flowers and the glass will be on a 90 degree angle so that it creats more space and will be prettier.

The food and service were superb and we did a shopping trip with chef Marcus. He prepared all the food that the four of us picked out and it was wonderful.

The ship is almost 20 yrs old but still a great vessel, looking forward to being aboard it again.

I must also add that we are almost 60 and we were by far the youngest passengers aboard.

I'm very anxious to see the "new" Sky Bar as well as the Veranda area. New large tables with chairs and ship cushions will certainly add to our open-air dining. Hopefully now, four will be able to dine comfortably at a table!

Also, I understand new attractive bedspreads and bed skirting, etc.

I've wondered if new upgraded carpet will be added in some areas.

Yes, we all love Cheffy Markus! He has such a bubbling personality! I look forward to seeing him in Oct.......keeping my fingers crossed as to his being aboard the Pride. Maybe if he's with us, Rebecca will join us too.

Hope to see you soon on one of the Yachts!

Martita B.

The main lounge upstairs will have the back glass taken out along with the tacky plastic flowers and the glass will be on a 90 degree angle so that it creats more space and will be prettier.

That sounds like a good improvement, I was noticing those dated looking florals on my last cruise. :rolleyes:

That is very interesting. I'm sailing on the Pride in November. I was on the ship November of 2006 and thought she looked lovely then, I will look forward to seeing whatever has been done.

*lol* about the "older" crowd. I'm 56 and will fit right in! Glad you had a great voyage.

Jane :rolleyes:

We're on the Pride in January and again in April. It should still be in pristine condition. I'm really looking forward to this, although I have fond memories of the "old Pride".

I've seen a range of ages on all my Seabourn cruises. Most seemed to be in their 50's and 60's, some older and a few younger. However I've never done the Carribean on Seabourn. Perhaps the more exotic itineraries attract different cruisers. Don't know. Any opinions?

Pride will come from Germany (drydock) to Dover on Sept. 14th ~~

Sept. 15th, with a "full boat" she sets sail for Gloucester from Dover! No cruises delayed ~~:D

In my opinion, "the 'lit 'ole Lady" is the prettiest of Seabourn's fleet of Yachts! She would certainly have more sea sagas to tell!:confused:

Happy and smooth sailing's

MB

I was told that the Legend will go into drydock right after its spring crossing. No matter what is changed, I know the character and ambiance of the sisters will remain. That's what we all appreciate and why we sail again and again. That seems to be the major comment about the new ships; can they retain the spirit and service we enjoy now?

What interests me the most is the new menu that is to be introduced (hopefuuly) sometime this fall.

I will try to sign on and report on the Pride in a week.

You are right, there. But I can live with the name if the selections are new and varied. That being said, I hope they keep the standard menu because I can rely on it when all else fails to tempt. Often I get a taste of the entree selection as a starter and then opt for the lamb chops, one of my all time favorites.

As to the new menus, we'll still have Charlie Palmer's name and endorsement. I'm far from a "picky" eater, but I was hoping

Seabourn would introduce a new celebrity Chef's endorser.:p

MB

I'm with you Martita! :D

Host Dan

This "celebrity chef" thing is getting old. Even the airlines are doing it. I've been to a few Charlie Palmer restaurants and, while the names of some of the dishes are the same, the taste and presentation are different. I wish Seabourn would let its own talented chefs and cooks do their own thing and drop the pretense of a celebrity chef. Does anyone actually book a Seabourn cruise because Charlie Palmer is a consultant?

This "celebrity chef" thing is getting old. Even the airlines are doing it. I've been to a few Charlie Palmer restaurants and, while the names of some of the dishes are the same, the taste and presentation are different. I wish Seabourn would let its own talented chefs and cooks do their own thing and drop the pretense of a celebrity chef. Does anyone actually book a Seabourn cruise because Charlie Palmer is a consultant?

I have often wondered the same! MANY years ago...UAL had famous restaurants cater for special Red Carpet flights..mainly the restaurants were NYC..and NO. They even gave china ashtrays as a souvenier...now you know how dated this info is..Lola [ps...the food was really good...elegant. Oh for the good old days as the say.]

I too wish Seabourn would allow our most talented Chef's to "do their own thing"~~~we have excellent Chef's in our Galley's! Our "soup" Chef's are renown! Also our "pastry" Chef's~~~they are all wonderful!!

I enjoy Chef Markus dishes when he deivates a'lit!

I'm sure Charlie Palmer's "name" fee is expensive~~I would rather spend this $$$'s elsewhere.

Just my 2 cents worth:rolleyes:

MB

Auntie, the only cruises I have been on Seabourn were to the Caribbean. Frankly, there seemed to be quite a few couples younger than I am (I'm in my 50's) and (shudder) there were even a few kids on one of my sailings. I wouldn't consider Seabourn a good line for children....too small a ship with precious little for them to do. But the majority of folks seem to be "older", yes.

Jane

As I understand it, Charlie Palmer has licensed the use of his name and certain specific "signature" dishes to Seabourn (hence, no variety unless new CP dishes are licensed). The CP company trains Seabourn's chefs and cooks in the preparation of these dishes and provides detailed plating diagrams for each dish (ask to see these diagrams on your next galley tour). The chefs are not suppose to deviate from the CP preparations one iota (but, what happens on the ship stays on the ship). All in all, a very expensive, time consuming and, ultimately, self-defeating marketing gimmick.

Archived