All about ARCADIA!

LibraLass41

I have just created a photosite of just my photos of Arcadia Inside and out, for Arcadia lovers and those who have yet to cruise on her ;) .

Over 50 shots including The Orchid, Gym, Shops, Restaurant, Aquarius and Neptune pools, hydro pool and Rising Sun.

Copy and paste this link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/AllAboutArcadia

Sue

Sue: Many thanks for this. The pictures you've posted paint Arcadia as a light and airy ship, with good facilities, and I'm a lot more attracted to her than I was before I saw them.

I know that some people are set against her because she's 'not a real P&O ship', and comment on the fact that her hull is shared with almost a dozen other ships in various places around the Carnival empire. And I suppose it is a pity that she doesn't have the tiered stern like Oriana & Aurora. But she doesn't, and I think the best thing to do is to concentrate on her strong points. Those side balconies look a good deal more open and airy than the typical balcony on Oriana, for example, and there certainly are a lot of them!

It'll be at least 2009 before I have a chance to try Arcadia - next year is already fully booked with cruises on Oriana & Ventura. But if the opportunity comes along to do a visit to Arcadia next summer, I'll take it.

Sue: Many thanks for this. The pictures you've posted paint Arcadia as a light and airy ship, with good facilities, and I'm a lot more attracted to her than I was before I saw them.

I know that some people are set against her because she's 'not a real P&O ship', and comment on the fact that her hull is shared with almost a dozen other ships in various places around the Carnival empire. And I suppose it is a pity that she doesn't have the tiered stern like Oriana & Aurora. But she doesn't, and I think the best thing to do is to concentrate on her strong points. Those side balconies look a good deal more open and airy than the typical balcony on Oriana, for example, and there certainly are a lot of them!

It'll be at least 2009 before I have a chance to try Arcadia - next year is already fully booked with cruises on Oriana & Ventura. But if the opportunity comes along to do a visit to Arcadia next summer, I'll take it.

Hi Tom,

Now keep this to yourself, the side balconies are good but the stern ones are great especially if you can stretch to a suite (not as expensive as you may think). The suite corner balconies are fantastic. Now remember keep it to yourself.

BTW you can see my photos of Arcadia if you follow the link below.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Tom

She has many many good points and a couple of poor ones.

The main good point is that she is child-free LOL. :D This makes the cruise more refined and relaxed. I was on Aurora last week, and sorry, it was spoiled for me with a baby sat next to me at 2ND SITTING dinner!! Now formal night was not quite the same I'm afraid with a grizzly baby and a worried mum and a angry dad taking away the ambiance of the night. I also had a baby in a pushchair next to me in Champions bar beforehand and again at breakfast grizziling the following morning. Don't get me wrong , I love kids - I am a mum of 2 myself. But 2nd sitting on a cruiseship is no place for a 12month old baby. The mother had options such as the night nursery or cabin incall service, 1st sitting or the Belverdere there was no need to bring a baby that was tired and miserable into 2nd sitting, which, by the way started later than usual as well 8.45pm, seated for 9pm!!

Arcadias other good points are the hydropool area - costs £10 a day extra, but it is wonderful. Those under-heated mosaic beds look out to sea, and there is relaxation music playing and aromatheraphy oil steam to inhale - wonderful. The theatre is very large over 2 decks, with a wonderful stage and bucket armchairs and 2 seater settees at the front. The Arcadian Rhodes and Orchid restaurants at a extra £15 and £10pp are worth trying (ask for a table for two), wonderful service and food.

It is a great shame that she has no dedicated cinema - although films are shown in side rooms, but not quite the same. The lack of tiered sun decks at the back of the ship is a shame too, and the Atrium is small. But she is a modern, contempoary ship , do try her!

Sue

Now keep this to yourself, the side balconies are good but the stern ones are great especially if you can stretch to a suite (not as expensive as you may think). The suite corner balconies are fantastic. Now remember keep it to yourself.

BTW you can see my photos of Arcadia if you follow the link below.

The only drawback I can think of about the stern is the motion - it's going to be accentuated there. Also perhaps noise & vibration? or is she podded? And I couldn't hep but notice the picture of Sue's that showed the rear balconies, and if you were standing on the open deck at the top, you seem to have a very god view of all the balconies below.

I think I did look at your Arcadia pictures - ah yes, I remember there were pictures of a suite? - very nice!

Changing the subject - how was your Oceana trip?

The only drawback I can think of about the stern is the motion - it's going to be accentuated there. Also perhaps noise & vibration? or is she podded? And I couldn't hep but notice the picture of Sue's that showed the rear balconies, and if you were standing on the open deck at the top, you seem to have a very god view of all the balconies below.

I think I did look at your Arcadia pictures - ah yes, I remember there were pictures of a suite? - very nice!

Changing the subject - how was your Oceana trip?

Very well thank you I am trying to put together a report but other things keep getting the way.

The rear suites are overlooked but they all have a considerable overhang as well. The people who have had them say that they are fantastic for sailaways. I would love to have one for a Flam or Bergen Sailaway.

Dai

Tom

I feel the same as you about the rear cabins at stern. Have had the chance of them, but refused. Worried about vibration and noise at the rear, and overlook from cruisers above, esp at sailaways. Sorry but lots of pax do stand on the Aquarius decks and look out at sailaway and have a nose at pax below.

Sue

I agree about the kids.

On our last cruise we had to move tables in the buffet to avoid the noise pollution.

As for noise astern, friends of ours, frequent cruisers, had one of the top grade suites but, I think, on the lowest deck. They had to be given a sleeping cabin on A-deck as they could not sleep :(

One thing about the balconies. The doors are hinged and powerfully sprung. It is not possible to get out onto the balcony with two drinks in your hands. We jammed some paperbacks on the hinge side. Other cruisers have suggested a couple of bungee cords to hold the door open.

As far as I know she is not podded but multi-bladed props.

Yep, you are right about the balcony doors, have had staterooms last 2 cruises and have one again in May 08. Had a outside balcony on Aurora - more smaller than the stateroom, prefer stateroom.

We take a winebox on board of Chardonny - fits in fridge ok, then sits on the little table on the balcony with the little tap hanging over - bliss

Sue

Tom

She has many many good points and a couple of poor ones.

The main good point is that she is child-free LOL. :D This makes the cruise more refined and relaxed. I was on Aurora last week, and sorry, it was spoiled for me with a baby sat next to me at 2ND SITTING dinner!! Now formal night was not quite the same I'm afraid with a grizzly baby and a worried mum and a angry dad taking away the ambiance of the night. I also had a baby in a pushchair next to me in Champions bar beforehand and again at breakfast grizziling the following morning. Don't get me wrong , I love kids - I am a mum of 2 myself. But 2nd sitting on a cruiseship is no place for a 12month old baby. The mother had options such as the night nursery or cabin incall service, 1st sitting or the Belverdere there was no need to bring a baby that was tired and miserable into 2nd sitting, which, by the way started later than usual as well 8.45pm, seated for 9pm!!

Arcadias other good points are the hydropool area - costs £10 a day extra, but it is wonderful. Those under-heated mosaic beds look out to sea, and there is relaxation music playing and aromatheraphy oil steam to inhale - wonderful. The theatre is very large over 2 decks, with a wonderful stage and bucket armchairs and 2 seater settees at the front. The Arcadian Rhodes and Orchid restaurants at a extra £15 and £10pp are worth trying (ask for a table for two), wonderful service and food.

Sue

There were very few children on either of our last two cruises, on Galaxy. In fact on the first one there were very few people under about 40. However there were quite a few children, of several different nationalities, on our first cruise on MSC Sinfonia. Somehow the children, even the infants, seemed to fit in. Maybe it was the mediterranean ambience.... But one thing was noticeable, and that was that the different national groups seemed to be living up to their stereotypes. The Germans were quite formal, and their children were very well behaved; they were nearly all travelling in small family groups (parents and their children). The Italians were exactly how you would expect Italians to be - large multi-generational families, all prepared to shout & yell and wave their arms at each other, then two minutes later all smiles again. Most of the french passengers were young couples who spent the cruise mainly looking very cool, chic, and a tad superior. And then there were the handful of Brits looking like the usual 'englishman on holiday' disaster - pink, perspiring, inappropriately dressed, and generally clueless. We had a wonderful time!

Hi,

I can confirm having stayed on E and D deck in an aft cabin that those above cannot see very much of you as you are much further down.

B and C deck suffer the most with those looking over and of course, you may so much more for those.

Would only stay on D or E deck as we have experienced them and know how wonderful the balconies are. also, don't forget the cabins are bigger than the side balcony cabins as well so you gain in and out.

As for people gawping voer, there just jealous:p

As for noise and movement, no real problems there - the main problem this last time was with the soot from the funnel which I have to admit we did not experience last time.

sue, next time you get offered an aft balcony, go for it but my advise is go for E or D deck and you will not be bothered from above.

Also as Dai correctly says, there is also a huge overhang as well from the cabin door so sun and shade is always available.

Regards,

Babs

Babs

I would have one like a shot, but hubbie is not convinced, he has VERY good hearing - even the air conditioning bothers him - and he says the rumbling underneth would drive him mad!

I love the wake and love sitting at the back of the ship on the chairs looking out at the wake on the prom deck.

Sue

Hi Sue

Great pics will add them to my digi file of cruise ship piccies as you know I have been on the Arcadia already so know what she's like but love her, for those who don't know my wife and I were also on the same Aurora weekender as Sue, The kids were everywere in fact I will do all I can not to sail with Children ever again. ( More contempory child free ships please)

I'm back with the Arcadia next July doing the top of world 21/07/08 and carn't wait.

Babs thanks for the comments on aft cabins Arcadia we are booked into E168 and I choice the lower deck option so we would not be over looked form the aft pool and you have confirmed thats the case.

Also thanks for confirming Balcony and rooms larger great news.

I was very disappointed in a cabin on Aurora A104 really poky little cabin and very tight balacony would have been very upset if it had been a 14 night cruise,

I will be paying much more attention to cabin sizes in the brouchers from now on?

As for Aft Cabins never done it on the Arcadia but other ships the only point I would say is you do feel a little more movement at times but I like a little rock and roll helps me sleep.

Soletread

Did you have the same cabin as me? Ourside with balcony?? Much smaller than Arcadias balconies ofcourse - but Arcadias are STATEROOM BALCONIES' I see Aurora have a deck of stateroom balconies as well which are probably bigger than the ones we had (did you see my photos from the Amsterdam and Bruges cruise we were on?) Photo of our cabin on there:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/Aurora3nAmsterdamAndBrugesCruise

Sue

Hi Sue yes same cabin in all regards

I must admit I had not paid massize amount of attention in the past to cabin size when booking but will take care to check in the future.

Im now clear that cabin as compared to stateroom means much much smaller

Looking forward to getting back on the Arcadia next year whens your next cruise?

yep, can't wait to go onboard Arcadia again. My countdown clock says 7 months and 17 days! doin' the cruise in the PANDO advert sail into Venice - 16 whole nights - most ports new to me as well - Venice, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Cephalonia, Split. Have been to Cadiz and Gib , but don't mind going there again - esp Cadiz. Have a balcony stateroom again as well.:)

Sue

yep, can't wait to go onboard Arcadia again. My countdown clock says 7 months and 17 days! doin' the cruise in the PANDO advert sail into Venice - 16 whole nights - most ports new to me as well - Venice, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Cephalonia, Split. Have been to Cadiz and Gib , but don't mind going there again - esp Cadiz. Have a balcony stateroom again as well.

Oh wow - I've been poring through the P&O brochures, and I think that cruise, or the variants that Aurora & Ventura are also doing, would be my favourite cruise.

The only thing I was wondering about was the long three days at sea at the end - it's a pity they can't break it up with a call somewhere en-route.

The only thing I was wondering about was the long three days at sea at the end - it's a pity they can't break it up with a call somewhere en-route.

And in fact in the case of that cruise there's only two days at sea at the end, isn't there? - Gibralter to Southampton.

I think some of Aurora's similar itineraries have a final call at Palma, and then a run all the way from there to Southampton. Those are three days at sea.

I would say that's one of the most attractive bits! :)

I love sea days.

David

Yes its 2 days at sea Mon and Tues, as Wed morning very early we disembark these days - usually starting at 8am and all off by 9.30am. I always ask for the last disembarkation card so we can have a relaxing breakfast when everyone else is scrambling to get off. Only 2hrs from Southampton, so still home by noon!

Sue

Oh wow - I've been poring through the P&O brochures, and I think that cruise, or the variants that Aurora & Ventura are also doing, would be my favourite cruise.

No No No NO NO.

Sea days rule OK.

We are on Arcadia in July to Venice 16 nights 7 ports. 9 Sea days - great.

To get back in 16 nights you would have to drop one of the other ports. errr Venice?????

Dai

Archived