Any new news reagarding live music taken away?

BobandBrenda

Was hoping this wasn't the case. :( Bummer..........

Does seem during our last cruise in February the pool band wasn't playing as much. Wish RCL would reconsider this, but I guess it is much cheaper to play digital music than it is to pay/board a 4-5 man ensemble.

Well - usually I would agree - however - I just returned from the Majesty of the Seas - and the pool band was TERRIBLE. The kareokee bar at night sounded better! I would rather have canned music if it is getting that hard to find a quality band. Heck the lead singer did not even know the words to the songs they were singing.....he frequently mumbled the words then SCREAMED the chorus and even that was usually wrong....."Searching for my sugar and salt."

The pool band on the Adventure of the Seas is AMAZING!!!!!!

Please don't tell me RCI is doing away with the Caribbean music we love to hear on the ship??? Say it isn't so!!!!!!! Am I to believe that this is a cost cutting measure??? "cause there sure isn't a shortage of band talent on the AOS!!!

I was talking to one of the Cruise Directors assistants on FOS last week - they had a band that barely played at the pool, most of the music was canned that played during the day. I asked if theyw ere doing away with the live bands and was told yes.
To me it's one more step of 'dumbing down' the cruise experience. Next the live theater will lip sync the show, just like Micky sings at Disney.

It's much easier and cheaper to control the quality of canned music than live.... and next a cruise director could handle several ships

I for one have enjoyed have a band out by the pool. It really sets the mood.

I also enjoyed the music played in the atrium which makes great acoustics.

I always felt I was somewhere special when the company would pay for a live band just for our enjoyment.

By the way if your ship had a bad band, thats the CDs fault for hiring and paying them. There are enough bands out there who can play. To accept a bad one is just plan lazy.

I like karoke myself but nothing compares to a live band.

Now that Im almost Diamond Plus I may have to change lines so I can find the line that fits my entertainment level.

What else will be next to cheapen the cruise experience?

Brenda

I for one have enjoyed have a band out by the pool. It really sets the mood.

I also enjoyed the music played in the atrium which makes great acoustics.

What else will be next to cheapen the cruise experience?

Brenda

Ohhh forgot the atrium band - did love them - they were great - we would get pre-dinner drinks and sit near the atrium just to listen!

Next thing you know they will have drink kiosks where you slide your Seapass and push a button for the cocktail you want. That will save a lot of money for RCCL. Or how about using those anamatronic (spelling?) figures like Disney uses for all the shows- cost more in the beginning, but the return on investment should be good. Continue doing away with midnight buffet, also- that should save some more, don't you think?

I can't even imagine a Caribbean cruise without a Caribbean-style band. I don't know who the band was, but on JOS the pool band was really good! Really set the mood for sailaway, and provided such a fun, festive environment by the pool the rest of the time. I just can't imagine not having them there. Bummer...

uuuuuugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: RCI needs to give their heads a shake!!!!

The pool bands playing that fantastic steel drum Caribbean music is a MUST have on all ships!!!!!!!!

To the poster who said there shouldn't be a "bad" pool band - you are right! There are so many great bands out there, so there should be no excuse.

We were on the MOS a few weeks ago, and we were really dosappointed with the pool band. They played 2 hours a day, and there was one (sea) day where they didn't play at all! In addition, they were the worst band out of all 6 cruises we have been on. This is one of the things that we love about cruising - laying by the pool and lisitening to the LIVE caribbean band. I would rather sail on a different line than not have a pool band on RCCL. Why would they ever do this? Also, is the cruise director responsible for hiring the bands and nighttime entertainment. We were disappointed that there were no shows besides singing acts on the MOS - no magician, hyptonist, etc. - only singing acts...

We were on the MOS a few weeks ago, and we were really dosappointed with the pool band. They played 2 hours a day, and there was one (sea) day where they didn't play at all! In addition, they were the worst band out of all 6 cruises we have been on. This is one of the things that we love about cruising - laying by the pool and lisitening to the LIVE caribbean band. I would rather sail on a different line than not have a pool band on RCCL. Why would they ever do this? Also, is the cruise director responsible for hiring the bands and nighttime entertainment. We were disappointed that there were no shows besides singing acts on the MOS - no magician, hyptonist, etc. - only singing acts...

They must have moved that same band to FOS - we thought the band at the pool was awful too.

Majesty, Monarch or Mariner?????

So are you folks saying all live music (atrium, piano bar etc.) or just the pool band?

Although I will be dissapointed to loose the pool band if they take all the bands (live music) I think that it's just cheap!!...really takes away from the whole experiance. Bad move in my opinion.

MAO

Just off the Explorer yesterday and there was great live music in the Aquarium Bar, in Dizzys up in the Viking Crown almost every night, in the Promenade during formal night, at the pool on sea days, at the platinum and diamond cocktail party in Maharajas, and I'm sure many other places. Any idea when they plan on doing away with this?

Laura

Are you guys trying to tell me that Mickey does not speak, and they use ROBOTS!!! My heart is broken, after all these years!:eek: Seriously though, I loved the band on our carnival cruise sailaway, and laying by the pool, Made the experiance that much better!. Now this will be my first RCCL cruise, after the extra money that I paid to take a RC cruise vs. Carnival, I am kinda wondering why. I hope that other aminities that I loved on Carnival will be present on Navigator. Like private bathrooms...... Cause to me, bands and alcohol are the way to really celebrate a Sail Away!:D

When we were on the Mariner last July, I asked the CD this question at the Meet & Mingle. His response was that RCI is not doing away with live music; however, they are looking at the attendance to live music events. It would make sense that if there is live music in a lounge, and nobody comes, then perhaps it isn't needed. One of the bands on the Mariner played dance music in the Lotus Lounge in the early evening and only 4 people showed up (us and another couple into ballroom dancing)! So the answer is to attend the live music venues to show your support.

DH and I were really hoping that we would run into Santino & Blakjax on another ship. We saw them on Radiance on our Panama Canal trip. They were awsome. We stayed up later than normal just to hear them play. I can't believe RCCL will not be having this band nor any other live band on board. Live bands definitely add to the cruise atmosphere. Where else in Pennsylvania can we hear steel drums playing caribbean music? I'm really gonna miss it.

His response was that RCI is not doing away with live music; however, they are looking at the attendance to live music events.

I could definitely see them getting rid of live music in certain areas of the ship that were poorly attended. Unfortunately Dueling Pianos was axed on the Monarch and I understand that it was one of the most popular attractions.

I am glad we got to see Matt Yee on the Liberty. Could you imagine the uproar if he was given the boot too? :eek:

I will say that I do enjoy the music by the pool on all of our cruises. I do remember that the bad was pretty bad on our Legend cruise and they didn't know the words. But the music still added to our pool experience. I hope they change their minds.

Remember, if you write nice letters to RCCL, they will see that you are really disappointed and then you might see, "Back by popular demand..."

Archived