Scuba certification

txflood3

I have read that some cruise lines offer scuba classes and certification onboard the ship. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? If so, does Carnival offer it on any of their ships...specifically the Conquest...and does it cost extra?

Thanks

I'm a certified diver. If you are interested in becoming certified, I would suggest doing your classroom and pool sessions at a local dive shop and do the open water dives part of the course while on your cruise. Why sit in a classroom and do homework while cruising. Whatever you decide, get certified!

I'm a certified diver. If you are interested in becoming certified, I would suggest doing your classroom and pool sessions at a local dive shop and do the open water dives part of the course while on your cruise. Why sit in a classroom and do homework while cruising. Whatever you decide, get certified!
I agree.... Been certified since 1981, I don't think the classes are as good as you would get from your local dive shop. Diving is great, but also a serious business.:cool:

Get certified before you go. Been diving since 1976. You need to take diving seriously. And you need to learn at your comfort level and time frame. There are folks that find they don't like it. Better to find out in a classroom/instructor setting. It's not that expensive to get certified. Contact your local dive shop.

How can you do the open water dives on the cruise? I thought you had to have your certificate before you went.

Your dive shop can give you a referral certificate that basically states you have completed the classroom portion of the training. Then you are free to do your open water dives with anyone you like (as long as they are certified trainers).

I would definitely recommend doing the classroom/pool portion locally. It's 2 full days (I did mine on a Saturday/Sunday).

The open water dives are 4 dives, usually done 2 dives one day and 2 dives another day.

I'm bumping this message to ask another question. I mentioned this possibility to my husband, and he said he thought that the dive operator in the Caribbean jacked the price up a couple hundred dollars above their normal price. He suggested that I find some to email to just ask whether they provided these services and the cost. And, for my comfort, I'd love to have the names of dive operators that you experienced folks would highly recommend.

Archived