Questions for those who have sailed out of Phila.

tinker

Tell me about the port in Phila. We sail in a few weeks on the Empress to Bermuda and have always gone out of Bayonne and I am curious to know what to expect in Phila.

How convenient is the drop off and pick up areas?

What time did you arrive and how is the terminal location if dropped off on a rainy day?

Scenery sailing out of Phila.?

Any other information, advice or observations appreciated.

It's really an easy port. I was pleasantly surprised when we left out of Philly. My daughter and her family just did it a couple weeks ago and felt the same way. I think they got there around 11 or 12 and got right on.

If you are dropped off, you leave your luggage and take a bus to the ship. If you park yourself, it's just about the same.

I can't remember any fantastic scenery on the way out of the Delaware River, but it was interesting to me to see things that I'd only seen from the Jersey side.

If you go to the Oct. 27 roll call, there are some people from Philly who might be able to supply more information for you.

Have a great trip!

Tell me about the port in Phila. We sail in a few weeks on the Empress to Bermuda and have always gone out of Bayonne and I am curious to know what to expect in Phila.

How convenient is the drop off and pick up areas?

What time did you arrive and how is the terminal location if dropped off on a rainy day?

Scenery sailing out of Phila.?

Any other information, advice or observations appreciated.

VERY convenient. Easy to get to, easy to pull up..........the porters will have your bags out of your car almost before you have shifted into "park."

The drop off area is canopied, and you pull up underneath, so you wouldn't get wet.

11 A.M. is a good time.

Scenery, if you look at the urban skyline, is nice. Just don't look down in the water. ;)

I have never sailed out of Philly but lived there for 31 years so the trip down Delaware river is probably about 5 - 8 hours b/c the ship can't create wake and you will exit at Cape May NJ if you don't hit one of the Cape May Ferry Boats in the bay. Then full speed ahead to Bermuda.

We leave the following week so take care of our ship.

In the evening, around 8:30 or 9PM, as the ship makes a sharp turn in the river, the aft end of the ship will vibrate considerably. It's nice to know about this ahead of time. If you have 2nd seating for dinner, there is much jingling of the glassware. :)

Bon Voyage~~

Leslie

It's fun to watch the ship go under the Delaware Memorial Bridge. It fits fine, but it looks close.

Unfortunately, the 9/8 cruise got to go under the bridge 4 times (3 times on the way out) and once on the way in. There was a medical emergency on Saturday night and we had to return to just after the bridge to take someone off at the pier there.

If you are interested in the area, check out my cruise map of Philadelphia.

I've marked the terminal as well as the airport, which is right next door. You can get driving directions to the terminal by clicking on the marker, then selecting the "To here" link, then enter an address, zip code or airport code. A new page will open up with Google driving directions.

You can also zoom out, or just pan the map around to follow the river out to the bay, if you want to see what some of the scenery will be. The ship leaves to the West from the terminal!

Theron

If you are interested in the area, check out my cruise map of Philadelphia.

I've marked the terminal as well as the airport, which is right next door. You can get driving directions to the terminal by clicking on the marker, then selecting the "To here" link, then enter an address, zip code or airport code. A new page will open up with Google driving directions.

You can also zoom out, or just pan the map around to follow the river out to the bay, if you want to see what some of the scenery will be. The ship leaves to the West from the terminal!

Theron

Wow...I love your map!!!! My daughter lives in philly and went to Bermuda on the Empress last year. I'll have to show her the map!

Archived