7 Mile Beach?!?

Dialemic

I always wanted to do one of those stingray adventures. I personally am a little frightened about the steve irwin deal, but my wife is petrified. Im trying to talk her into it when it hit me, are they debarbed? or does anyone really know? I think itll comfort her more if they are and ill be able to talk her into it by March 08. Thanks !!:cool:

they are totally wild and not debarbed, that being said it is a not to be missed excursion. I have done this 3 times, and have always enjoyed it. You both could do this excursion and your dw could hang out in the boat, but I'd be willing to bet she would end up in the water with them.

Rollie

they are totally wild and not debarbed, that being said it is a not to be missed excursion. I have done this 3 times, and have always enjoyed it. You both could do this excursion and your dw could hang out in the boat, but I'd be willing to bet she would end up in the water with them.

Rollie

Thanks for the reply! Does anyone know if anyone has been injured during an encounter?? Sorry for al lthe silly questions!

Our family did a private sailboat rental in Grand Cayman 3 years ago. It too included swimming with the stingrays. Now this was prior to Steve Irwin's fate but I have to admit, it was the freekyish and scarriest thing I have ever NOT done. That being said, my husband and 17 year old son swam with the stingrays, hugged them, fed them and had an amazing time. My 18 year old daughter and 10 year old son and myself were freaked and there was no way we were swimming with the stingrays.

I wouldn't discourage you from doing it (I wish I had of) but I wouldn't count on convincing your wife to do it. If you have the chance to find a private excursion I would recommend it as the ship excursions are not as personal an experience. We used Red Baron Sailboats.

Our family did a private sailboat rental in Grand Cayman 3 years ago. It too included swimming with the stingrays. Now this was prior to Steve Irwin's fate but I have to admit, it was the freekyish and scarriest thing I have ever NOT done. That being said, my husband and 17 year old son swam with the stingrays, hugged them, fed them and had an amazing time. My 18 year old daughter and 10 year old son and myself were freaked and there was no way we were swimming with the stingrays.

I wouldn't discourage you from doing it (I wish I had of) but I wouldn't count on convincing your wife to do it. If you have the chance to find a private excursion I would recommend it as the ship excursions are not as personal an experience. We used Red Baron Sailboats.

OMG! thanks! Im so suprised with the reponses and for the most part people on this board are so helpful and nice! Red Baron huh? Do i book online or just when i get there locate them?

There is a site that does private tours that has a brief explanation about the stingrays in "Stingray city" it's called Moby Dick Tours. There's a great review on tripadvisor from someone who just got back (Sept. 12/07) that you might want to check out as well. We are taking our first cruise in February and I am looking forward to this excursion, but have had to convince my husband that it will be fun.

B&R

From my understanding the type of Stingray that killed Steve Irwin was a "bull' stingray and the Cayman have Southern Rays. We just came back - it is a little intimidating, but absolutely cool to see. They are very gentle and know that people are there to feed them. It's a don't miss excursion.

We have used Nativeway Travel in Grand Caymen. They are wonderful. You can google them and get their direct phone number. They have a nice, air conditioned bus, and will meet you at the pier. They have very nice boats and very informative staff. They have good rates (cheaper than the ship excursions). You will visit Stingray City and then go to the Coral Gardens. If any member of your party does not feel comfortable swimming with the stingrays, they may still have the opportunity to snorkel at the Coral Gardens. The Coral Gardens are a short distance from the stingray area. There are wonderful coral formations and lots of fish. Nativeway also has a tour that includes going to Stingray City and then going on to a private island. On our most recent tour, we went to the stingray area, The Coral Gardens, and then asked them to drop us off at Seven Mile Beach. We enjoyed Seven Mile Beach and took a cab from there to the pier (approx. $5 per person). Both of my sons (ages 8 and 10) loved the stingrays, as did my DH.

My nephew is taking the Nativeway stingray and private island tour the end of September. You will have a fun experience even if you just watch the folks that are swimming with the stingrays!!

Have a great time!!

Susan:)

Archived