Buying Stock

coffee39

I have read a couple of comments about "buying stock". Would someone please explain to me what this means and how you buy stock in a cruise.

Thanks for your help.

There a few cruise lines that if you own shares you get an owners or shareholder discount. Others can explain how it works and which lines do it.

You have to buy at least 100 shares of the company that owns the cruise line you are traveling on. For example, if you are cruising on Princess (I checked your posting history :)), they are owned by Carnival. Here is the relevant page from Carnival's Investor Relations page: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

Hope this helps.

If you are not experienced in buying and selling securities (shares in a company), then please spend some time with someone you trust who has experience in this before you rush out and buy stock in anything.

My experience has been with Royal Caribbean. On Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, you will get an onboard credit on your account if you prove to them that you own at least 100 shares in their company before your cruise sails. On a 7-day cruise you get $100, on a shorter cruise you get $50, and on a longer cruise you can get $200 or more per stateroom you book. That money simply goes to your onboard account and you can use it towards anything you buy on the ship (drinks, shopping in their stores, bingo, excursions, etc.).

There are risks inherent to owning stock. Although you may get the onboard credit, the stock price could fall at any time and you could lose your principal (initial purchase price). So don't look at purchasing stock solely for the onboard credit - you need to weight the risks versus the rewards, and how you personally can handle those risks - emotionally and financially.

Hope this helps.

RCI is the other parent company. I am getting $50 on each leg of a B2B 3 and 4 day Sovereign cruise. If you do a 7 day cruise its $100 OBC. I think RCI owns Celebrity?? One of those expensive cruiselines that starts with C. I mostly go out of Texas so dont go on it.

Same with Carnival (which as above poster says is for Princess as well.)

Archived