Zip lining.... Maui or Kauai???

JD75

We're going on the same zipline excursion at Lahaina. I'm in the same boat as you, and have spent the past week trying to figure out where the best zipline is. The problem is, there are very few people who have done more than one zipline who can compare their experiences.

The things that I finally looked for were: how many ziplines? what's the scenery like? Is there anything involved besides zipping (i.e. swimming hole,etc.)?

I finally gleaned a lot of information by googling "maui zipline reviews" and "kauai zipline reviews".

We're going for the Lahaina one mainly because it fits into our itinerary better. It's the newest one so there aren't many reviews (none that I could find on cruisecritic...maybe five or six from Google.) It's a series of eight ziplines and includes a lunch break. It's one of only two zipline courses on Maui. The other is in Haleakala crater. Both are run by Eco Adventures at zipline.com.

There are a few more ziplines in Kauai. Many of them include swimming breaks or even kayaking. You can also put "Kauai zipline" and "Maui zipline" into Google images for some pictures of them. (One complaint I've read a few times is that people ended up going for a hike and swim, and only had one zipline at the end. Again, try to get a feel for how the entire excursion is structured.)

I'm not convinced that ANY of the ziplines offer truly spectacular jaw-dropping views...just some nice greenery and mountains.

I have a feeling if there ARE any extreme zipline enthusiasts out there (who could compare different courses, etc.), they probably aren't on the cruise boards.

Again, look at zipline.com for Maui.

Can this be done by someone without a lot of arm strength and one knee that gets a little "gimpy" some days?

absolutely... the harness goes all around you like a rock climber and you just sit there while you glide.

They have it set up so you slow down at the end so you won't have to cut loose before slamming into a wall like in the movies :eek:

We chose the Skyline Eco-Tours in Haleakala while we are there. It is quite a bit less that the Lahaina (only $71 when purchased online). It is run by the same company as the Lahaina zipline. I'll let you all know how it is when I get back. Our zipline tour is reserved for 12 Nov 07 at 3:00 PM - we are NOT morning people!

We chose the Skyline Eco-Tours in Haleakala while we are there. It is quite a bit less that the Lahaina (only $71 when purchased online). It is run by the same company as the Lahaina zipline. I'll let you all know how it is when I get back. Our zipline tour is reserved for 12 Nov 07 at 3:00 PM - we are NOT morning people!
I'm leaving before you, i'm thinking of doing this i have never done this. :eek: i'm kind of afraid of heights. could you please give me their website. thanks

I'm leaving before you, i'm thinking of doing this i have never done this. :eek: i'm kind of afraid of heights. could you please give me their website. thanks

...Both are run by Eco Adventures at zipline.com.

...Again, look at zipline.com for Maui.

Archived