Excursion & Old Lahania Luua-Same day

kat9661

We are considering the "Kahakuloa - The Secret Hawaiian Valley" excursion offered through Celebrity on our first day in Maui but we also have reserved the Old Lahania Luau that evening which starts at 5:15. The excursion is scheduled for 4 hours and 15 minutes which would put us back in Lahania at 4:00 pm. Should we plan on going straight to the luau from the excursion or would there be time to tender back to the ship for a change of clothes? How casual is the luau? Would my husband look out of place in a pair of nice shorts? I welcome any and all comments!!

The times you list would be tight for the Luau. If you were lucky enough to catch a tender just as it was ready to leave and then took very quick showers it may be possible. From what I have read on this board your hubby will not be out of place in nice shorts and a button or golf shirt. I know you would like to shower after a long excursion. You can email the Old Lahaina at info@oldlahainaluau.com and they would be happy to answer any questions about dress or late arrival. We're going in November and they have already responded to questions I had. Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

We had a rental car and toured on our own, then headed to Lahaina for the Luau. We didn't want to waste our time with going back to the ship! You don't have to worry about how you're dressed. We weren't grubby, but not dressy, either. My husband wore a Hawaiian shirt that day, I wore a casual outfit. It's on the beach, and people were dressed in many styles. It's amazing how a lei dresses you right up! Smiles help, too.:)

You might want to bring a change of clothes with you on the excursion. (Shorts and aloha shirt for your DH; either sundress or skirt/shorts and a nice top for you--plus a light sweater as it can get a tad breezy at the luaus sometimes.) I know it's more to haul along, but you could freshen up and change at one of the public restrooms in Lahaina (try Wharf Cinema Center across Front St. from the tender pier area to start). That way, if you get back early and/or are able to grab a tender right away, you can go back to the ship and freshen up there. But if you don't have time to go to the ship, you'll still be able to freshen up. You'll take a taxi from the pier to/from OLL. It's only a little more than a mile from the pier, so it won't cost too much at all.

If the timing worked, you could even consider skipping trying to get on the ship entirely. When your excursion drops you at the pier, immediately grab a taxi to the Lahaina Aquatic and Recreation Center. They have showers and changing rooms available. However, they close at 4:30, so you might not make it in time. Then you'd take a taxi to OLL and then back from OLL to the pier.

If you don't want the hassle of bringing extra stuff along on your excursion, then simply wear clothes that you would feel comfortable in at the luau, and do bring light sweaters just in case.

beachchick

I know this question has been asked a million times, we are looking at now renting a car once we arrive in Lahaina, as we were told there is a parking Lot, called Diamond Parking very close to the Wharf. Is it close enough, that after parking, we are not walking in a badly lit area at night to get back to catch the evening Tender after the Luau. Regarding the Luau for ladies, what shoes would be recommended. Thank You.

Assuming there are no lines waiting for the tender how long is the ride???? We have a tour that gets back at 3:30(if on time) and then have to leave at 4:15 for the laua????:eek:

At this point we will bring at least a clean top with us and some basic toleties to freshen up at the laua itself...

Thanks for your replies! Since this is a bus tour with little physical activity we would have no problem going to the luau directly from the excursion which is just a land tour.

I've had such a difficult time with our time in Maui. As it stands now we will take the excursion to Kahakuloa on our first day with the OLL to follow. On our second day we have the Iao Needle excursion booked which would get back at noon and then we plan to head to Kaanapali beach for the afternoon and possibly dinner.

I'm now having second thoughts and wondering if we should spend our first afternoon touring Lahaina on our own with lunch and shopping and then back to the ship before going to the luau and spending our second day at Kaanapoli after a morning tour? We don't want to rent a car and I'm wondering if the two excursions are really worth it or if our time would be better spent taking our time in Lahaina and at Kaanapoli.

HELP!!!!

Assuming there are no lines waiting for the tender how long is the ride???? We have a tour that gets back at 3:30(if on time) and then have to leave at 4:15 for the laua????:eek:

At this point we will bring at least a clean top with us and some basic toleties to freshen up at the laua itself...

We've never tendered in Lahaina, but have watched many ship tenders come in. It looks like it's about a 10 minute tender, but that's a guess. Even so, the ship is fairly far out from the pier. There's no possible way I see you being able to go back to the ship, freshen up, and get back to the tender pier in 45 minutes. You'd have to factor in time to get off the tender, get to your cabin, get back to the tender, and get going again. That's a logistical nightmare with 45 minutes.

You might want to call the luau and ask them if they have a suggestion for where you might freshen up in Lahaina or if they have restroom facilities which would be good for that (I'm sure they must).

beachchick

Our Roll Call for Oct 2008, because of OLL, we are going to hang around Lahaina and sightsee, leaving us time to go back to ship to freshen up for Luau, doing major running around next day. Several are going to get a car/van and buddy up to keep cost down. Called RCL, the Tenders will run all night,( 20 -30 Min) cutting back to HOURLY later in Evening, resuming 30 min intervals next day.

GWoodman- That's what we had intended to do but then I was having 2nd thoughts (as usual) and was thinking about doing an excursion. Spending time in Lahaina is important to us too so maybe we'll skip Iao Needle on day two in Maui and do the Kahakuloa excursion instead and then head to Kaanapoli beach when we get back at 2:00. Maybe skip and excursion all together and head to Kaanapoli for day two!!!! I've had a tough time deciding what to do in Maui!!!

Kat our one and only visit to the Islands was years ago. Maui is a beautiful island, but not my favorite. Going to the Eye of the Needle requires a good walk up steps to a lookout point in a lovely valley. It is not a difficult walk, the footing is excellant. If your interested in the drive to Hana, plan on a full day. We drove from the airport and stayed 2 nites in Hana and it was over a 2 hr drive( 50 miles). The last 20-25 are up a narrow windey road with one lane Bridges, a fabulous drive. I would recommend a smaller vehicle for this road. I think a scenic drive would be nice.

Gay GLea472968@aol.com

Archived