Princess cars in Alaska train

coffee39

We will be riding the Princess railcars from Denali to whittier in July 2008. Can anyone tell me what the food is like as well as how expensive it is? Should we have breakfast before we board and carry some snacks with us to hold us over or is the food ok and reasonably priced? (The food on the passenger trains here is comparable to vending machine quality :eek: and very expensive.)

3 years ago when my family did the cruise tour the dining car was one of the highlights of the vacation. The service was like the grand old days of the railroad. The reindeer chili on the train was better than the chili on the ship.

The prices were comparable to the prices in the lodges. It will seem expensive, but everything in Alaska costs a little more. The only downside is that you aren't in the bubble while eating so you miss some views. As to snacks - if you and your family like to Nibble & Nosh then you might want to take something to tide you over- you are seated in the dining car by seat assignment so you might have to wait.

Lester

We will be riding the Princess railcars from Denali to whittier in July 2008. Can anyone tell me what the food is like as well as how expensive it is? Should we have breakfast before we board and carry some snacks with us to hold us over or is the food ok and reasonably priced? (The food on the passenger trains here is comparable to vending machine quality :eek: and very expensive.)

Be prepared for prices in Alaska for food, especially on the train. We took the cruise tour quite a few years ago and we were shocked at the price of the meals onboard the train, also in the amount served, as portions sizes were quite small. If you can, you might want to think of having breakfast before you board, especially if you are on any type of budget. We found very few places that I would consider 'reasonably priced' throughout the tour with Princess as for dining venues. Budget accordingly, please.

The food is good, price is reasonable. We had breakfast and dinner on the train (2 different transfers). We had learned that they'll seat you by section of your car and you may not be the first seating. Knowing this we had a cup of coffee and a breakfast bar at the lodge before leaving. Good move, because we did not get breakfast until about 10 a.m. But it was a treat, tablecloths and friendly service, I'm glad we did it.

3 years ago when my family did the cruise tour the dining car was one of the highlights of the vacation. The service was like the grand old days of the railroad. The reindeer chili on the train was better than the chili on the ship.

The prices were comparable to the prices in the lodges. It will seem expensive, but everything in Alaska costs a little more. The only downside is that you aren't in the bubble while eating so you miss some views. As to snacks - if you and your family like to Nibble & Nosh then you might want to take something to tide you over- you are seated in the dining car by seat assignment so you might have to wait.

Lester

Sorry but I don't think my mind would let my mouth open to put reindeer anything in it. I am not a person who can eat wild meat, I pretty much stick to chicken, turkey, beef and pork with the occasional fish. DH goes Elk hunting every year (he is hunting right now) and he quite enjoys the meat but it is not something I can bring myself to eat.

We ate breakfast on the train on August, and thought the food was very good. It was a fun experience. Can't remember the price, but I don't think it was too bad. Food was served hot and service was exellent. We were very happy we waited to eat breakfast on the train.

Are there tables for two in the dining room? I have heard the seating on the train is set up in groups of four. Was that your experience as well?
The tables are for four. The train has two levels with a narrow spiral staircase to get to the upper level. The lower level is the dining car where you go if you want to have lunch. The upper level is the passenger car. The seating is arranged with two bench seats separated by a table, i.e., four people per table. Two will be facing forward, two facing backward. If I remember correctly, you're assigned your seat but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Archived