Beginner Snorkeling purchase equipment?

suzy5555

I have only snorkeled one other time in my life with rented equipment and didn't have a good experience. (Mask problems). I really want to learn because I hope to go to Hawaii every year. My MIL (81-but young) wants to try snorkeling also. I'm thinking we should do the walk-in beach snorkeling at Hanauma Bay and Black Rock at Sheraton in Maui. I am also considering buying U.S. Diver's Mask/snorkel/proflexII Fins from Amazon for $28. Since we are beginners, I don't really want to bring the fins. My question is should we just rent equipment while in Hawaii. I know the $28 is not top quality merchandise but will it suffice for 1st timers? Hygiene is part of why I want my own stuff. Any advise is appreciated.

Suzy - I'm not sure where you are located, but you might want to check our a local dive shop before purchasing anything over the web. Most shops will carry a large assortment of equipment at various price ranges. some shops even have a pool or an agreement with a local indoor pool to try things out prior to purchase. This would give you a chance to look things over and then compare prices on the web. Many shops are also wiling to work with you on pricing as well.

You can always just use the fins available, but definitely think about taking your own snorkel. I don't use any other mouthpiece but my own.

Charlie

we got our stuff at a sporting goods store.. and they were only 10$ for the mask and breather...

we dont use fins, so we didnt buy those also , but weve taken our gear with us to mexico 4 times and hawaii 1 time, and theyve lasted and are still in good shape..

i would buy your own..

I feel like the fins make snorkeling so much easier, but they were the things that gave my husband and me the most trouble when we did rentals. He has very wide feet, so the rental fins were too tight and were digging into his feet. I have narrow feet, so my fins almost came off a few times. So if you do want to use fins and don't have "normal" feet, you may want to consider buying them as well (we will be buying all of our own equipment before next month's cruise).

Karen

If you aren't able to try on a mask before purchase, make absolutely certain they have a good return policy. One of the biggest reasons for poor snorkeling experiences is a mask that does not fit properly. One of the others, as others mention, is the idea of using a snorkel someone else has used. I don't know how well it's been cleaned, and even the best cleaning just can't get me past the "yuck" factor. Several years ago, my DH and I invested in top quality gear that fits us perfectly.

You needn't spend a fortune, but if you plan on snorkeling for many years, I do suggest these basics: A dry or semi-dry snorkel with a silicone mouthpiece and easy clear feature; a properly sized mask with a silicone skirt; and good quality fins. True, fins take up space and many don't want the bother, but we decided to buy short power fins which I can squeeze on top of the suitcase and which give us as much "oomph" and control in the water as most of the long, heavier rental ones. I also suggest a snorkel vest (often can be rented and are required in some places), which is not the same thing as a life vest. A snorkel vest is a very lightweight vest which can be inflated as needed for extra bouyancy. They are a good idea for anyone who is not a strong swimmer or who is not strong overall. I'd insist my mom (late 70s) wear one if she decided to snorkel with us.

beachchick

My DH & I used the snorkel gear on one of the excursions (Pride Charters in Maui). We brought along clorox wipes for the mouthpieces to help with the Yuk factor. My mask had a slow leak that was a pain. By the time I decided I'd had enough and went to find another, they were all gone except a childs mask. The childs mask worked better than the other. My DH did not have a good experience at all. He had a mustache and from what I understand, they recommend shaving the mustache (at least a little toward the top just under the nose) because the wax they give you just doesn't cut it. His mask kept leaking. If I was to do it again, I would buy my own gear. If you are concerned with space in your luggage, just bring the mask and snorkel and rent the fins which you get at Snorkel Bobs or some beaches. Good luck.

Yukon - my dh had the same problem. our shop recommended that he use a little vaseline on his moustache. It sort of helped a little. He eventually just shaved it down from his nose a little for a better seal. Now he's clean shaven so there's no longer a problem.

Karen - we had the same trouble with fins and got dive booties to protect our feet. Then we eventually broke down and bought good fins (and short ones that would fit in a suitcase) and that has saved our feet.

Charlie

• Administrators

If you think you will snorkel often, I'd recommend fins. I really love my short (20" total length) power fins from US Divers. When I snorkel, I rarely use my arms for travel -- I let the fins and my leg muscles do the work while my upper body is still and looking around. The shorter fins fit well in a suitcase, too. Otherwise I agree with the recommendations for silicone fittings, a dry snorkel, etc. If you don't go for snorkel gear with silicone fittings, keep it out of sunlight between trips, as it may make it last longer -- sunlight seems to discolor and break down standard fittings.

My DH & I used the snorkel gear on one of the excursions (Pride Charters in Maui). We brought along clorox wipes for the mouthpieces to help with the Yuk factor. My mask had a slow leak that was a pain. By the time I decided I'd had enough and went to find another, they were all gone except a childs mask. The childs mask worked better than the other. My DH did not have a good experience at all. He had a mustache and from what I understand, they recommend shaving the mustache (at least a little toward the top just under the nose) because the wax they give you just doesn't cut it. His mask kept leaking. If I was to do it again, I would buy my own gear. If you are concerned with space in your luggage, just bring the mask and snorkel and rent the fins which you get at Snorkel Bobs or some beaches. Good luck.

That is definitely another good reason to invest. My DH has a mustache and beard (both neatly trimmed), but isn't wild about shaving off a strip to snorkel. Plus he's got a large head (as in size--not ego).:p When we bought our gear, the guys at the dive shop were wonderful. They had him try a few masks they specifically recommended for guys with mustaches. He found one that fit perfectly with great visibility and an excellent seal. All he does is use the teeniest little bit of vasoline and he's good to go. We're both so much happier with our own gear.

beachchick

About 3 years ago I purchased new masks & snorkels for fiance & I on EBAY for around $35 each that were really good quality. We've used them on several trips & been really happy. I have fins, but prefer to just bring 'booties" with me for trips in case of rocks. don't like the weight & space that the fins take up.

Thanks everyone for your input. I went to 2 local dive shops today. I tried on several mask and all seemed to seal on my face. ($38-$68). I was surprised to hear the first shop owner say "a snorkel is a snorkel". No explanation about dry snorkel, etc. The second shop had a dry snorkel with a "extremely comfortable mouth piece" (he stated) for $48 and a mask that I liked for $38. I also went to Dick's sporting goods. They had a body glove kit for $99 (mask, snorkel, fins) but mask didn't seem to fit as well. Also another kit for $39. Didn't like that mask either. I'm still on the fence about the decision to purchase. I will keep on reading and researching. Is buying in Hawaii an option or will cost be too high?

It depends upon how much time you want to invest in Hawai'i looking for good, but inexpensive gear. Anything close to the pier is going to be more than places located away from the beach. Places like Walmart are cheap, but much of their stuff is in packages and you can't try it out ahead of time.

Bottom dollar - how much snorkeling are you going to do in the next, say, five years? The more you do, the more you should think about spending on your equipment. If it's a once or twice thing, then you might want to go the cheaper route.

Charlie

P.S. Don't go back to the first guy - it doesn't sound like he's the best in the business, especially if he was an owner.

I decided to purchase equipment. I hope to come back to Hawaii many more times. As I mentioned my MIL wants to try to snorkel but she just informed me that she doesn't swim. I plan to go to Hanauma Bay for our very first snorkel experience. Can I rent a vest for her there? I know she will be more confident floating with a vest. She is an amazing 81 year old - wants to add this to her "list" of things she has done. She is more like a 65 year young.

I decided to purchase equipment. I hope to come back to Hawaii many more times. As I mentioned my MIL wants to try to snorkel but she just informed me that she doesn't swim. I plan to go to Hanauma Bay for our very first snorkel experience. Can I rent a vest for her there? I know she will be more confident floating with a vest. She is an amazing 81 year old - wants to add this to her "list" of things she has done. She is more like a 65 year young.

The one and only time i ever snorked was at Hanauma Bay almost 20 yrs ago. I did it in shallow water where i could stand. I saw the most amazing colors of fish etc. I think your MIL will be fine without the vest-but if she wants to go in deeper water over her head then i guess its best if she has one. I am looking to try snorkeling again on my next 3 cruises so am interested in what everyone has to say about the gear. I am thinking i will visit a dive shop and buy my own stuff. Too much of the YUK factor :)

Archived