SZ suites

Frankie Sue

Could someone tell me what is the difference between the SZ and SY suites on the Noordam. I can see on the Holland America’s website that the SZ are very few and on the Upper Veranda, at the hump of the ship. Are they really bigger than the SY??

For our sailing, these SZ suites were only made available in the last 8 weeks before sailing.

I am just curious as to the advantages of these SZ?

I look forward to your replies.

Frankie Sue

Strangely shaped veranda, is that it?? But the website configuration seems to show a larger veranda than adjacent SY cabins. Would that be correct??

Is it a covered or open veranda?

Nice to get your information, but honestly I will be much happier to take a look myself when I am onboard…………..

Thanks for your help.

Frankie Sue

Frankie Sue - I had done some searching around for information about these rooms, as I was booking a guarantee cabin for the Zuiderdam on Nov 10, and wanted to know what these rooms looked like in case I ended up with one.

First off, the room appears to have identical layout and all the same amenities as the SS and SY suites. Square footage in the cabin is actually a bit BIGGER than SY and SS suites, because of the way the cabin juts out at an angle past the couch towards the balcony doors. Rather than the desk window and balcony doors being parallel - the balcony doors are at a 15-20 degree angle onto the balcony. That means that the balcony itself is incrementally smaller than on the SY/SS cabins (with the lost balcony space replaced by the extra cabin space).

The only other difference is the shape of the balcony, which takes a bit of an 's' turn, rather than being a pure rectangle. One could see the advantage of having a bit more of a view down the side of the ship (towards either aft or bow, depending on which SZ cabin you got)...while the disadvantage would appear to be the visibility onto your balcony from nearby balconies (not much privacy on your balcony, despite being covered).

All in all - I don't think I'd have a problem getting one - having stayed in the SS cabins and falling in love with them, and booking a guarantee SY for my upcoming cruise - I wouldn't be upset to learn I got the SZ instead. Even with a little less balcony, the balcony is still sufficiently large enough to accomodate a table w/ chairs, and two comfortable wicker chairs with ottomans. And the gained space inside the cabin sounds wonderful - with many people who have stayed in those cabins mentioning that the two 'living room' chairs opposite the couch fit into that space, leaving more walkaround room in front of the couch and table and the foot of the beds.

Hope that helps!

I recently booked an SZ guarantee on the Noordam. I expect that I will probably end up in an SY cabin. While there are only two SZ cabins they sell many more SZ guarantees and have to put you in the same or higher (SY or SS) category. Supposedly it gives them more flexibilty in assigning cabins. However you have to be sure that you will be happy with one of the two available SZ suites as someone will be assigned to them and it just might be you. I have done similar bookings before and have always been happy with my assigned cabin. If you will only be happy in a certain location on the ship, then a guarantee room isn't for you.

Bob

Wow………

Thanks to you guys, now I can most certainly make a really well informed decision. Zackiedawg and CTBob, the info you gave me was so detailed and precise……… I really appreciate that you took the time.

Just can’t wait to get going.

Frankie Sue

Archived