Formal Night????????

gizmo0013

Despite what you will read on the boards, the majority of passengers do dress for formal night. You will see long dresses, cocktail dresses even very elegant pants suits on the ladies. The gentlemen will wear either a tuxedo/dinner jacket or a usually dark business suit and tie.

You will look wonderful in your choice.

Doc:)

We are getting married on the day we leave for our cruise. I have a ivory cocktail type dress. Alittle below the knee. Would it be ok to wear on formal night so I dont have to pack another dress? I dont have a picture of it but this is close just in Ivory/off-white.

http://www.bestpromdresses.com/shop/jovani_10653200.htm

It is a beautiful dress. Not many brides get to wear their dress twice!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Payd:)

• Administrators
Despite what you will read on the boards, the majority of passengers do dress for formal night. You will see long dresses, cocktail dresses even very elegant pants suits on the ladies. The gentlemen will wear either a tuxedo/dinner jacket or a usually dark business suit and tie.

You will look wonderful in your choice.

Doc:)

I love the dress (beautiful!) and think the OP will be fine in it for formal night on any cruiseline -- however, the above did give me pause. OP didn't give her cruiseline, and that CAN make a difference. On many "mass market" cruiselines I think it's something of an overstatement to say that the "majority" of pax "dress" for formal night -- if you mean traditional "formal" dress with a suit or tux for men, and cocktail or floor-length dress for women. At least, that wasn't our experience on RCCL or Carnival. On NCL, with "Freestyle" cruising, I could go further -- formal night is totally optional and it would be rare to find the "majority" of passengers in anything other than acceptable dinner wear on any other night (resort casual, now including jeans).

However, on ANY cruiseline, you can go as dressy as you choose and never be "inappropriate." The dress is beautiful (I would try to find a sparkly shrug or sweater, for comfort just in case -- indoor spaces on cruiseships can be over-airconditioned to the point of freezing)! Congratulations on your marriage and have a great honeymoon cruise! :)

Hello,

While I have my own tux, I wear it with a long black tie so I do not have to carry the accessories with me, and this has worked out very well on our last three cruises.

As someone who really enjoys formal nights, I can tell you that you really do not need to rent a tux. A jacket and tie will do fine on your husband. On our last cruise I saw an older gentleman dressed superbly in a truly beautiful camel's hair sports jacket with dark pants, a nice shirt, and a wonderful tie. Not only did he look great, he looked as if he could buy millions of shares of a cruise line's stock and not miss anything. My point...your DH probably has what he needs in the closet.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

I rented a tux on our Alaskan cruise and found it to be a decent one. The studs are cheapies but I didn't have any problems with them. I rented because our cruise was the tail end of a combined bus tour and cruise, and we were very limited on baggage. Since then, I have simply packed either a suit or slacks and sport coat. While you don't see that many tuxes anymore, he would not be alone if he wore one.

Cheers,

My husband rented a tuxedo for our first 3 cruises and had no problems. It certainly makes a difference when you're packing, not having to worry about putting in a tux as well. Now that he's got his own, he carries (pulls) the rolling garment bag with all his formal stuff (including shoes) in it. You might want to get your new hubby a nice set of studs, because as sk8teacher says, the ones that come with the rental are cheapies. And you can also rent shoes to go with, which is a real plus - no heavy shoes to take up room in your suitcases!

If you contact www.cruiselineformal.com you should be fine, as they're easy to deal with. Just be sure to get your guy's measurements taken by a reputable place; if he goes to a tux shop or a men's shop and tells them it is for an out of town rental, they are more than happy to do it. Please try to post pics once you've returned!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Archived