Dune Buggey, Sub, Safari excursions & Margarittaville

CMM

We were at Grand Turk on 9/9/07. We booked the Dune Buggy excursion through Princess. A word of caution in booking. This excursion fills quickly. We booked the day they opened online bookings. Wording is confusing as it was priced at $199. This is per buggy and can hold up to 2 people for the $199. We originally booked it for 4 people, but then read this was sold per buggy not per person and talked with the princess rep and changed it to 2. Wanting 2 buggies. Right before our trip when I was reprinting my boarding passes I noticed they had it down for 1 person. I called princess and an extreamly rude (the only rude person I've ever encountered with princess) said it could not be fixed at this late date, but once on board they could adjust it to 4 people with 2 buggies. Well this was sold out and there were no cancellations, so our friends missed out on this excursion. So be careful when you book and err on the side of too many people as you can always change in once on board.

This excursion was fun. My husband drove and I was a passenger. You splash through smelly, muddy water and will trash your shoes and clothes so plan for that. Grand Turk is kind of barran. Very flat and mostly brush growing. Not many buildings. A few government offices, a jail, and small homes. Horses, donkeys, dogs, and cattle roamed free and were all about. When asked our guide explained that nobody will claim the cattle since the Mad Cow Disease. You drive on and off road and make 2 stops. One at a lighthouse that you can't climb up, but has a nice view. Another where you get to hike up hill and enjoy a view. Our buggy broke down and the guide was fortunately behind us at the time. He honked for the rest to stop, but nobody heard so they were off. He was able to get our buggy started back up pretty quickly. This was a fun excursion.

I had lunch with some people who had taken the submarine excursion and really enjoyed viewing the fish.

Another couple had taken the safari excursion and said they were disappointed in it. They only stayed on the roads and there really wasn't much to see. They expected it to go on trails etc.

After our dune buggy excursion we headed back to the ship to eat. I am glad we did as food and drink prices are very high at Margaritaville. Our friends spent the day there and had a food/drink bill of $120 for 2. Margaritaville has a large curving pool that is only waist high. There is a wade up bar and wait staff to come to the tables. According the the web site and the DJ there are 50 some different types of Margarittas, but there was no list and the waitress couldn't suggest any or tell us about them. We got a Margaritta in a souvenier glass for $17. I was surprised they were serving breakable glass to people in the pool. I also found it odd to have people with burning cigarettes in the pool. There was a DJ who had some contests. I wasn't too into the loud scene there, so I ventured out to the beach area and had a very relaxing time swimming right off the beach with the ship in the background.

It was nice to be able to climb right out of the water, grad our things and walk right up to the pier and our ship. It certainly is a convenient port.

Thanks for the report. I just booked this last night through Carnival for my family (DH, me, kids - 11 and 14). Sounds like fun. Well, better than just driving around on the main roads sightseeing -- if you can call it that. Glad to know what to wear.

Were you able to take your camera and get pics? I have a Nikon D70 digital and it sounds like I may need to put it in a plastic bag. :o

Oh I forgot to mention that you wear a helmet and they suggest you keep the shield down on it as sandy muck splatters up. I kept getting small amounts of dust & sand in my eyes despite wearing eye glasses and the shield. I personally wouldn't have wanted to have contact lens in if I could help it. My husband the driver didn't get stuff in his eyes though.

Yes bring your camera in a plastic bag. I had it in as small pack and then in a ziplock. You can't really take pictures while moving too much (and it rained a bit during ours so it the dirt was wetter), but when you stop there are some nice photo opts. I asked another passenger to take our pictures in the dune buggy at the end too. A disposable camera would be great too.

Oh I forgot to mention that you wear a helmet and they suggest you keep the shield down on it as sandy muck splatters up. I kept getting small amounts of dust & sand in my eyes despite wearing eye glasses and the shield. I personally wouldn't have wanted to have contact lens in if I could help it. My husband the driver didn't get stuff in his eyes though.

Yes bring your camera in a plastic bag. I had it in as small pack and then in a ziplock. You can't really take pictures while moving too much (and it rained a bit during ours so it the dirt was wetter), but when you stop there are some nice photo opts. I asked another passenger to take our pictures in the dune buggy at the end too. A disposable camera would be great too.

We have this tour booked for our November cruise. I had the same question about taking a camera and had planned to do what you said and take my camera in its case and place it in a ziplock and place that in a backpack with towels and a few other things.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• 3 weeks later...

We are doing the Dune Buggy ride in Dec. You answered my question about price. We booked ours through Holland and it was 99 per person. I didn't know whether that meant that we each got our own buggy or not. I was also worried that it might be a rough bumpy ride because I am prone to back problems. Was it bumpy? Thanks

I don't have back problems, but I don't recall it being very bumpy. We were on roads and unpaved paths that were for the most part flat. Went through some puddles and unevenness, but woudln't call it overly bumpy. Taxi or bus would be smoother though for sure.

All of the dune buggy's were for 2 people( One driver & one passenger), except for one that was a 4 person. On our trip the 4 passenger held 2 people and the back seat was empty. I did read a post about 4 people being forced to ride together at the regular rate. I think they later argued with the excursion desk & got a refund. My husband would not have wanted to go if he didn't get to drive either.

Hope you have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Did the dune buggy excursion last week.

Bumpy - depends on how you drive. Most of the driving is NOT on paved roads; it is on gravel roads with LOTS of potholes, most filled with water. If you drive over or through the potholes, you will be jarred and get wet and muddy. I gunned it going over a hill and though the buggy didn't get airborn, my butt did come out of my seat.

My son got grease stains on the back of his t-shirt as did one of our backpacks.

Archived