You won't believe what our travel agent DID!

katb85

We are booked for a cruise leaving Sunday, or should I say were supposed to be booked:mad: . We booked and paid for this back in April. The travel agent took our money (for at least 12 cabins) used it, and then tried to book all the cabins at the last minute. Well needless to say, the cruise is full and 4 of us don't have a cabin. She did the same thing to another group and they don't have all their cabins! She put 6 cabins on standby. I am so furious! What chance will we have getting a cabin?

Sadly, I see reports like this too often. There was an agency that was doing the same thing here in Ohio. This is a reason why many like to use PVP's. It sucks that there are some TA's that are floating money to try to stay ahead.

Was this TA working out of their home?

This is the part of the cruise contract that make me leery of those super deals from TA's

3. YOUR TRAVEL AGENT

Any travel agent or sales agent utilized by the Guest in connection with the booking of the cruise, or this contract is solely the agent of the Guest and not Carnival. Carnival is not responsible for the financial condition or integrity of any travel agent utilized by Guest. In the event that an agent shall fail to remit to Carnival any monies paid to the agent by Guest, Guest shall be and remain liable for the fare due to Carnival, regardless of whether liability is asserted before or after embarkation. Issuance and validity of ticket contract is conditional upon final payment being received by Carnival prior to sailing. Any refund made by Carnival to an agent on behalf of Guest shall be deemed payment to Guest, regardless whether the monies are delivered by the agent to Guest. Receipt of this ticket contract, any other documentation or notification pertaining to the cruise by Guest’s travel agent shall constitute receipt by Guest.

We are booked for a cruise leaving Sunday, or should I say were supposed to be booked:mad: . We booked and paid for this back in April. The travel agent took our money (for at least 12 cabins) used it, and then tried to book all the cabins at the last minute. Well needless to say, the cruise is full and 4 of us don't have a cabin. She did the same thing to another group and they don't have all their cabins! She put 6 cabins on standby. I am so furious! What chance will we have getting a cabin?

Years ago I sat next to a group of people at the Dog track. A race went off and a real long shot won. All of a sudden a gal in the group goes hysterical and is crying uncontrollably. She had the money and was supposed to bet it for a friend not there. She didn't do it because she thought the dog had no chance to place. She was going to pocket the bet. Sounds like your agent wanted to do the same.....use your money to make more money for themselves. I'd report her to the Attorney General of your state.

She's owned her own travel agency for years. We always had to wait till the last minute to get our documents. I guess this time it caught up with her. I am not going to take a refund and just be happy. I will see to it that she is finished.

Not that it helps now but others might gain from this ... even when not paid in full you should get a reservation number from Carnival... I know I have when useing a payment plan with my Travel Agent....

John

I was thinking the same thing. We always get our booking number in order to fill out our fun pass:cool:

She's owned her own travel agency for years. We always had to wait till the last minute to get our documents. I guess this time it caught up with her. I am not going to take a refund and just be happy. I will see to it that she is finished.

I would also go to the local paper. Others in your area should be made aware of what she is doing.

I am so sorry this is happening to you. :eek: My travel agents have always processed payment directly thru the cruise line. I am guessing that this TA processed the payment directly. I hope that everyone gets on. Very sad that people do this. Why can't everyone just play by the rules? For those that don't get onboard, make sure they dispute the charges immediately with their credit card company so she doesn't keep their money. :rolleyes:

I am so sorry that this has happened to you, I can't even imagine what you are going through.

I am glad you are not going to let this rest, take her for all she has. Put her out of business. You should also write a letter to the editor of your city paper about what she has done and if they will not print it, take out a big add. She is going to rule the day she met up with you.

Good luck and I do hope it works out for you. Please keep in touch, let us know how it is going.

Sorry. Let me explain. This would have been my 5th cruise, so I am talking about the other cruises. My stepmother has always used her. She has booked probably 15 cruises, not to mention trips to Hawaii and Israel through her. We just get our documents from her when we all meet up for the cruise.

So sorry to hear!

One of the things to know about any reputable TA: They will not require any payment sooner than would be necessary if you booked it on your own. This means, you should never have to pay more than the standard deposit (fully refundable) up front. Final payment is due at the same time as if you booked direct.

The reason this is key is it means that they can not hold onto your money and try to play those games.

In other words, if ever you are making a payment, make sure you receive the primary confirmation of the booking (i.e. a carnival confirmation number).

Good luck!

Archived