NCL compared to RCCL ?

Cruisechic470

I will admit my 2 experiences on RCI have been 4 day cruises which do not compare with 7 day or longer. That being said, i have to say we like NCL better. They are in the same general class, mid priced mass marketed lines and are not terribly different, but we enjoy the food choices and freestyle offered by NCL plus overall we have gotten a little better service. A lot of this depends on the class of the ship. It is hard and probably unfair to compare the Pearl with the Majesty of the Sea or one of RCIs great newer ships with the Dream. all in all both lines are fine, I think you will enjoy the Pearl. The reviews are outstanding overall.

Nita

Our first cruise was on the NCL Sun, our 2nd on RCL Adventure of the Seas and our last cruise was on the Star Princess. Now in February we're coming back to NCL and going on the Pearl.

All 3 ships we've been on are pretty comparable, but what we like most about NCL is the freestyle concept of eating when we want with whomever we want (or preferably by ourselves). - and being able to dress casually - my husband does not like to wear a suit and tie if he doesn't have to:rolleyes: ... Princess has a similar concept, but we always felt pressured to eat with others. If we asked for a table for 2, we got a dirty look. We also thought the nightly entertainment was better on NCL than on RCL and Princess.

We had outside balcony cabins on all 3 - all very comparable. The daily activities on all 3, again very comparable. We felt the variety of food (especially for breakfast) was better on NCL. Though quality was about the same on each ship. The staff on each ship were all very pleasant.

The one thing I did like about RCL was the promenade down the inside middle of the ship. My DH thought it was a waste of space, but I liked the shops and bars - felt like you're walking down a street.

In my opinion, any cruise you choose will be fantastic -

Our first cruise was on the NCL Sun, our 2nd on RCL Adventure of the Seas and our last cruise was on the Star Princess. Now in February we're coming back to NCL and going on the Pearl.

All 3 ships we've been on are pretty comparable, but what we like most about NCL is the freestyle concept of eating when we want with whomever we want (or preferably by ourselves). - and being able to dress casually - my husband does not like to wear a suit and tie if he doesn't have to:rolleyes: ... Princess has a similar concept, but we always felt pressured to eat with others. If we asked for a table for 2, we got a dirty look. We also thought the nightly entertainment was better on NCL than on RCL and Princess.

We had outside balcony cabins on all 3 - all very comparable. The daily activities on all 3, again very comparable. We felt the variety of food (especially for breakfast) was better on NCL. Though quality was about the same on each ship. The staff on each ship were all very pleasant.

The one thing I did like about RCL was the promenade down the inside middle of the ship. My DH thought it was a waste of space, but I liked the shops and bars - felt like you're walking down a street.

In my opinion, any cruise you choose will be fantastic -

I too love the promenade. Even on the Carnival Ecstacy (spelling) years ago they had one with the shopping and some bars off it. I felt like i was in a small city, walking through a very special mall.

We have been on Disney 3x's, Sapphire Princess, Norwegian Jewel, and last year was RCCL Freedom. We love freestyle dining on NCL and thought the NCL ship was the prettiest. Service wasn't as good for us on NCL, but not so bad that I can complain. Food was comparable, but we don't cruise for the food so I may not be the best judge. NCL is ABSOLUTELY more casual than any other line we have sailed. That may be good for some, but we prefer to dress up and feel less inclined to do so on NCL. RCCL had the best entertainment. That being said, we are going on NCL this year because it had the best price by far. Apples to apples, we like Princess best for its service, crew, and all around atmosphere, RCCL for the entertainment, but ultimately NCL for its prices, which I don't think can be beat. Any way you look at it, you can't lose! Cruising is the BEST!!!!!

Archived