how acceptable are jeans?

loobylouuk

On a P&O cruise jeans are unacceptable as an item of evening wear with the exception of a Country and Western theme evening.

For day-wear these are probably okay for cool-weather destinations but definitely not for the Caribbean or the Med the summer.

Sorry to have to correct you Mr Mutineer, BUT on our joining instructions received last week it specifically states, and I quote "Smart Casual

................trousers or smart jeans for men" now if you define 'smart' as expensive then the garment comes as though it is on its last legs, torn and faded; ohhhhh dear.:eek:

Cb

I have no desire to try RCL, NCL, Carnival or any other freestyles cruise becuase I know its not for me. ( also having now tried the Arcadia without children I prefer my hol's without them simple as that )

soletread

I love you SOLETRED:)

Will you marry me:rolleyes:

Sue

Way back in the mists of time when loobylouuk started this thread, she asked this:-

hi are jeans unheard of on a po cruise?....not to wear on the ship in the evenings but on excursions etc............

So she was asking about off the ship; indeed, she specifically said 'not to wear on the ship in the evenings...'.

There isn't a cruise line in the world that has any right to tell you what to wear, other than on their ships. So for daytime wear ashore or on excursions, wear what you like.

That said, as others have indicated jeans might be too warm if you're in the Med, or even in the Baltic in high summer. But as far as wearing them is concerned - go ahead.

Sumptuary laws - at least, those regarding dress - have gone the way of the dodo, and I for one am glad. I wear what I choose and what I think is appropriate to the occasion, which may not be too far from many others here would also wear. But woe betide anyone who tells me what I *must* or *must not* wear!

(Billy Connolly used to tell a good joke:

Priest: "Thou shalt not... Thou Shalt Not! Thou SHALT NOT!!"

Pause.....

People: "Yes we f*****g shall!!!!" )

There isn't a cruise line in the world that has any right to tell you what to wear, other than on their ships.

Oh yes there is.

Oh no there isn't :)

Oh yes there is: I quote from Celebrity

Ashore, dress for comfort, but remember to observe local customs.

On Alaskan cruises, summer temperatures often soar into the 70s.

Using old money, we had temperatures in the Baltic in August pushing high 30s. Remember also the stricture about over 40.

Remember Tony Blair who could not get his hands in his pockets :D

I think there's a difference between 'telling' you what to wear and 'advising' you.... I interpret the Celebrity advice as just that, advice. Which I will consider, along with other factors, when I make my sartorial decisions!

Very eloquently put. If only all P&O Cruisers had the same views. We were on Aurora in June, which is such an elegant Ship inside. Unfortunately, a minority seemed to think they were in a 3 star all-inclusive resort in the Dominican Republic (from what I have seen of those on Thomas Cook TV ;) ).

There has been a huge thread about this on P&O Cruise Connections recently, which shows there is a lot of feeling on this subject.

Derek - I only ever wear pre-tied Bow Ties but don't know how to become a Bingo Caller or Bunny Girl. Any tips? :D

Andrew

Way back in the mists of time when loobylouuk started this thread, she asked this:-

So she was asking about off the ship; indeed, she specifically said 'not to wear on the ship in the evenings...'.

There isn't a cruise line in the world that has any right to tell you what to wear, other than on their ships. So for daytime wear ashore or on excursions, wear what you like.

That said, as others have indicated jeans might be too warm if you're in the Med, or even in the Baltic in high summer. But as far as wearing them is concerned - go ahead.

Sumptuary laws - at least, those regarding dress - have gone the way of the dodo, and I for one am glad. I wear what I choose and what I think is appropriate to the occasion, which may not be too far from many others here would also wear. But woe betide anyone who tells me what I *must* or *must not* wear!

(Billy Connolly used to tell a good joke:

Priest: "Thou shalt not... Thou Shalt Not! Thou SHALT NOT!!"

Pause.....

People: "Yes we f*****g shall!!!!" )

Yes but that is Billy Connolly, what you see is what you get and he is paid an enormous amount of money to be like that!

P&O try to suggest (?) that you might like to consider the mode of dress required, and its inevitable that people will get worked up about it.

Solution don't go a P&O cruise if thats the way they feel.

I related my impressions of the young teenagers I have seen on the Oriana on previous cruises and on another thread.

They spend the first couple of days finding their "feet" and dressed in what ever they felt like for the evening, then gradually they started getting together in small groups and dressing up so that by the time of the last formal night the lads are in evening wear the girls in smart frocks.

My point, nobody told them to do it but they appeared happy to join in once they saw what was involved.

Yes but that is Billy Connolly, what you see is what you get and he is paid an enormous amount of money to be like that!

P&O try to suggest (?) that you might like to consider the mode of dress required, and its inevitable that people will get worked up about it.

Solution don't go a P&O cruise if thats the way they feel.

I related my impressions of the young teenagers I have seen on the Oriana on previous cruises and on another thread.

They spend the first couple of days finding their "feet" and dressed in what ever they felt like for the evening, then gradually they started getting together in small groups and dressing up so that by the time of the last formal night the lads are in evening wear the girls in smart frocks.

My point, nobody told them to do it but they appeared happy to join in once they saw what was involved.

see you there!

Lou

Why do other people get upset with what somebody else is wearing?

Elaine

Because they like 99% of the other cruisers have gone to a lot of trouble and expense to dress correctly as they have been asked and feel that those who do not are:-

- spoiling their evening

- letting the side down

- being deliberately provocative by not following the dress code

- showing that they only care about themselves

So ask the question, "why do these people come on this cruise when they know the dress code and if they want to dress casually there are other cruise lines who they could have gone with?"

They feel this way because they like to go on a cruise which still has an air of formality.

This is thinking of a great number of cruisers, old and young.

I tend to agree and I do not think this is a problem because of the variety of cruise experiences which are now available.

Well you did ask:D

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

spoiling their evening

- letting the side down

- showing that they only care about themselves.............DAI

totally agree with you Dai. P&O is known to be a formal cruising company, to come onboard and dress in a polo shirt and chinos with no jacket on a formal night, well, it must be said they are being deliberately provocative, and are expecting some eyes and comments to be focused on them. It is so nice to be in the piano bar dressed to the nines, on a formal night.

Its the same as the lady in the orange dress on black and white night... she is obviously being provocative too... does she crave the attention? Does she only care about herself - yes.. she is not conforming, that is her right, but it does, at the end of the day , spoil the ambiance of the evening. But it takes all sorts i'm afraid, so she and he can dress as they want .

Sue

Bingo: Procure a shirt with a frilly pink front and go on a Haj to Mecca.

Bunny Girl: Retaining your bingo caller outfit, start reading Watership Down, purchase on-line some large size high heels from a cross-dressers web-site, and Tescos do a nice line in cotton wool roll (for your tail). You should be able to get bunny ears from the same joke shop as you got your pre-tied bow-tie.

Bingo: Procure a shirt with a frilly pink front and go on a Haj to Mecca.

Bunny Girl: Retaining your bingo caller outfit, start reading Watership Down, purchase on-line some large size high heels from a cross-dressers web-site, and Tescos do a nice line in cotton wool roll (for your tail). You should be able to get bunny ears from the same joke shop as you got your pre-tied bow-tie.

Thanks for that :) . I'll let M&S, Debenhams, House of Fraser et al know you see them as a joke shop ;)

A.

spoiling their evening

- letting the side down

- showing that they only care about themselves.............DAI

totally agree with you Dai. P&O is known to be a formal cruising company, to come onboard and dress in a polo shirt and chinos with no jacket on a formal night, well, it must be said they are being deliberately provocative, and are expecting some eyes and comments to be focused on them. It is so nice to be in the piano bar dressed to the nines, on a formal night.

Its the same as the lady in the orange dress on black and white night... she is obviously being provocative too... does she crave the attention? Does she only care about herself - yes.. she is not conforming, that is her right, but it does, at the end of the day , spoil the ambiance of the evening. But it takes all sorts i'm afraid, so she and he can dress as they want .

Sue

Actually Sue, I have to admit that I didn't wear black on my last cruise on black & white night:eek: (on QE2) I wore bright turquoise - mainly because I wasn't told when b&w night was before I put my dresses in for dry cleaning :rolleyes:

Karen

Thanks for that :) . I'll let M&S, Debenhams, House of Fraser et al know you see them as a joke shop ;)

A.

You can add Messrs. Gieves and Hawkes to that list too.

Mind you, I'm disappointed in them for pandering to those who can't make the effort.

Matthew

Archived