Measuring Luggage

mom2NnB

With the 62" max requirement for case size, how exactly do you measure? I understand length, width, height.

Do you measure:

1. From the wheels to the top of the case?

2. Do you measure across the top or down the slope (my case is hard and rounded sides)

3. Also on expandable features, do you include the added width when packed?

Petty concern, but the extra fees make it a hugh choice. I can take more smaller cases, or one large case. I have measured it and "think" it fits, but not sure whether I'm measuring correctly or not.

front.jpg.3103beb1c3fa4b102f94f8c31a1f82ef.jpg

side.jpg.5e32beb4d1d5ad516eb4a437eeddd613.jpg

Measure with wheels and don't 'cheat' around the corners (meaning you must measure the full width and length at the widest part). Whether or not you measure the expanded section depends on whether or not you use it. If you use it measure it.

Once you figure these dimensions, imagine a box with those exact dimensions. Now, will your suitcase exactly fit inside the box with no handles, pockets or wheels sticking out of the imaginary box? If not, then you didn't measure correctly.

Don't forget about weight. Most airlines have a 50 lb weight limit. If your suitcase is big and is around the max size allowed (62") then it's going to weigh more than 50 lbs when full. Mine reaches about 50 lbs when it's only about 75% full. I bought it just before the airlines changed their weight limits to 50 lbs and I was so sorry I bought a bag that big. I would have bought a smaller one had I known they were going to lower the weight limits.

75 lb Luggage Scale

$9.85

Item #KT689 shim.gifshim.gif

Yeah, but you can't take it with you since its 75 lbs. :rolleyes:

Actually, we've had more trouble on the trip home from cruise with suitcase overweight. Have had to repack in the terminal right there in front of God and everybody.

Funny this question came up. I was just measuring a piece of luggage Tuesday. Took it on a land cruise 2 years ago to Aruba (brand new). It's actually like 60":(

DH won't let me buy new - so now we have to use a piece of older luggage that doesn't match:eek: AND isn't on wheels!!

Funny this question came up. I was just measuring a piece of luggage Tuesday. Took it on a land cruise 2 years ago to Aruba (brand new). It's actually like 60":(

DH won't let me buy new - so now we have to use a piece of older luggage that doesn't match:eek: AND isn't on wheels!!

.....is such a barbarian! How dare he make you carry luggage rather than pull it! Off with his head!

;)

Got a small luggage scale (handheld gadget) at target for less than $10.00. has a tape measure attached too.

Luggage weight is not my problem, its the size Im worried about.

I weighted my rolling duffle filled to busting and it only weighed 35 lbs.

I have the same problem - largest piece is 62 inches and just meets the size requirements - and I could probably fill it up - however that always makes it over the 50 lb limit - so I end up having to lug another suitcase which is such a pain in the bum.

I truly don't understand the logic - if I am allowed 100 lbs in 2 bags why can't I have one bag with 60 lbs or so? (ya I know it's heavy - it's covered in those stickers!)

Froufie

Archived