Bottled Water

littlemommabj

Are you sure? Most cruise ships only have reverse osmosis and its against USPH regs to convert water within 3 or 12 miles of shore and totally improper when in port....

see for example this recent USPH report on the NCL Majesty and note that they took 5 points off for it...

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/vsp/InspectionQueryTool/Forms/InspectionSummaryView.aspx?Inspection=10717112

Yes, I'm sure about the evaps, and you're right, it's not good to use water within 12 miles of land due to the fact that so many sewage treatment plants do not effectively treat sewage before they discharge it. We used the thumbrule that after we were out 12 miles, the water no longer had any possibility of being brackish, and the salt killed the bacteria is poorly treated water. The sewage problem isn't just a foreign issue, it's a problem in the US as well. The EPA is all over plants in PA since they haven't upgraded infrastructure here since about 1800, I don't believe. Please note that the CDC report you cited says multiple RO and evaporator units. That is a good link and there was good info from the CDC guidelines as well.

I had the good fortune to tour the engine room of a RCL ship and speak extensively with her Chief Engineer. Two reasons evaps are better, first, they're more efficient and produce more water using waste heat that otherwise would just be put over the side, two, RO requires energy input from the generators and doesn't produce quite as good quality water. It's still better than what comes out of your tap most of the time, but not as pure as an evaporator.

4 cruisers, many people do something as simple as take a Brita water filter with them on their cruises, it will take out most of the chlorine or chloramines that are put in the water. There was one post where a gentleman from Canada told us about his tabletop evaporator to produce pure water, I'll have to see if I can find that one. It's in the fashion threads I believe. Good luck with finding the answer to your swelling questions.

Yes, I'm sure about the evaps, and you're right, it's not good to use water within 12 miles of land due to the fact that so many sewage treatment plants do not effectively treat sewage before they discharge it. We used the thumbrule that after we were out 12 miles, the water no longer had any possibility of being brackish, and the salt killed the bacteria is poorly treated water. The sewage problem isn't just a foreign issue, it's a problem in the US as well. The EPA is all over plants in PA since they haven't upgraded infrastructure here since about 1800, I don't believe. Please note that the CDC report you cited says multiple RO and evaporator units. That is a good link and there was good info from the CDC guidelines as well.

I had the good fortune to tour the engine room of a RCL ship and speak extensively with her Chief Engineer. Two reasons evaps are better, first, they're more efficient and produce more water using waste heat that otherwise would just be put over the side, two, RO requires energy input from the generators and doesn't produce quite as good quality water. It's still better than what comes out of your tap most of the time, but not as pure as an evaporator.

4 cruisers, many people do something as simple as take a Brita water filter with them on their cruises, it will take out most of the chlorine or chloramines that are put in the water. There was one post where a gentleman from Canada told us about his tabletop evaporator to produce pure water, I'll have to see if I can find that one. It's in the fashion threads I believe. Good luck with finding the answer to your swelling questions.

Thanks BTW my water is NY City tap water that is better than 90% of the bottled water....

Wraithe, I am so impressed by your knowledge and how much I have now learned about this! Thank you so much for sharing your amazing knowledge on this subject!

We were on the Orient Lines Crown Odyssey (currently the NCL Crown) in the Mediterranean when the potable water turned brown. It was declared to be completely safe...but truly if you are trying to drink your recommended amount of daily water... brown water is pretty un-appealing! How does this occur and what causes the brown water? We were all assured that the water was safe...but bottled water was provided for those who desired it until the problem was solved (what that involved, I have NO idea!?).

Thanks BTW my water is NY City tap water that is better than 90% of the bottled water....

ROTFL, most tap water in the US is as good as or better than bottled. I can't understand why people refuse to believe that. The water in GA is usually very hard, I used to buy water that was RO treated, then carbon filtered, ozonated and UV treated. So it was pretty much just water, no minerals or gas. Took forever to get used to it, because it has NO taste. My doctor at the time actually told me to be sure to take a good multi-vitamin/mineral supplement since I wasn't getting minerals from the water:eek:?!? I thought that was funny.

Ok...back to the question...so if you bring bottled water onboard...they are not gonna go through your luggage and remove it right????

Or if I have it in my purse? I ALWAYS have a bottle of water on me. But I am will respect rules too. However I am a water over booze girl....and if I can have my own water available to me....AWESOME. I'll bring water on board. :)

Ok...back to the question...so if you bring bottled water onboard...they are not gonna go through your luggage and remove it right????

Or if I have it in my purse? I ALWAYS have a bottle of water on me. But I am will respect rules too. However I am a water over booze girl....and if I can have my own water available to me....AWESOME. I'll bring water on board. :)

There are no guarantees in life but if you put it as a separate originally wrapped case and they see it as water they will most likely just deliver it to your room. If you hide it within the luggage they may have you pick it up from the naughty room because they wouldn't know its just water...

There are no guarantees in life but if you put it as a separate originally wrapped case and they see it as water they will most likely just deliver it to your room. If you hide it within the luggage they may have you pick it up from the naughty room because they wouldn't know its just water...

lol...there is a naughty room?????????? I guess....that means I best just play by the rules...lol.

Wraithe, thank you so much for your post!

I believe they do add chloramine to the water which is not supposed to be good for people with kidney problems. I've read that you can remove it by adding citric acid (slices of citrus to your water), making coffee or tea with it (again the acid removes it) or using a filter. I am going to try that in November...nothing could make me want to EVER stop cruising!!!:D

Smeyer, more interesting info! I really do appreciate all the good reading I now will do!

Thanks everyone!

Yes, cruise ships do chlorinate their drinking water. So do most cities, and since most bottled water is filtered city tap water, so do most bottle water vendors.

So what's your point?

Why?:confused:

Nothing personal, but I did wish to respond to the chlorinated water bit.

And I repeat, most bottle water is chlorinated too.

Read the labels on the bottles, or at least read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottled

Excerpts:

In developed countries, demand is driven by a variety of factors including convenience, the perception that bottled water may be safer than local municipal water, and taste preferences. Packaging and advertising work to foster these perceptions and brand bottled water in ways similar to branded soft drinks.

In most developed countries, however, especially the United States, the regulations governing tap water quality, monitoring, and regulation are more stringent than those for bottled water, where monitoring, especially, is less frequent and strict, and where reporting of violations is often voluntary. In the United States, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency set standards for tap water; the Food and Drug Administration sets standards for bottled water.

However, the FDA does not required bottled water suppliers to provide details of the water source on the labels. Water bottlers are not required to test for the presence of E. coli, cryptosporidium, giardia, asbestos, or certain organic compounds such as benzenes.

About 25% of bottled water sold is simply re-processed/used municipal(city) water according to a 1999 study in the United States. Both Aquafina from Pepsi-Cola Company and Dasani from The Coca-Cola Company are reprocessed from municipal water systems. Some bottled waters, such as Penta Water make unverified health benefit claims. While there have been few comprehensive studies, one analysis several years ago found that about 22 percent of brands that were tested contain, in at least one sample, chemical contaminants at levels above strict state health limits.

Bottled water is typically printed with expiration dates. Even if the water itself is pure, a plastic container may leak chemicals such as phthalates or Bisphenol A into the bottled water. Storage in cool and dark places helps reduce leaching of these chemicals. Industry associations claim "bottled water can be used indefinitely if stored properly."

If the original water bottled is not pure, especially if it contained biological contaminants, then the water quality will continue to degrade regardless of the storage container or conditions.

Believe it or not, tap water is purer than most bottled water.

Ron, I understand what you are saying. I drink a combination of water at home...tap when we go out, filtered from our fridge... and bottled in between. Honestly if it wasn't such a bit health issue, I wouldn't care. The last time we flew home from Europe, my teenaged sons made fun of my ankles, yet made me sit and said "oh...poor Mom!" It is so bad, I can't begin to explain....say 1/3 again the size of normal. I know there are many painful things in life...and I truly am only going over this to try to let you understand...It is awful.

I agree with those who mention the food's salt content. I only know that there is something about the water on board as well, since when I have brought my own distilled....I didn't have the problem until I ran out!

Sorry, but I did take it personally. I really thought you meant it personally:o. I believe there are such a minority of us out there who are experiencing this that is seems trivial to others. My husband is in the "flushing" business LOL! and he has found that there are chemical reactions occuring in tap water with functioning toilet flushing parts. It should not seem too hard to believe that that can cause problems for people with sensitivity to those chemicals. :confused:

I hope you understand my "why" now!:cool: I won't post again because I'm sure people are sick to death of this topic!;)

Hope original poster gets to take her favorite on board if she wants to! For many water drinkers, taste makes a difference!

Once again, it seems that people's experiences are differing! I had to get special permission to bring my water on board our upcoming Star trip. I had to inform them which "brand" of water I was bringing AND why! I received approval but am still pretty "#issed" about having it be an issue at all! I don't care to hear from "anti- bottled water bashers AGAIN." But I have had swelling experiences that have caused me to feel more secure drinking water I am used to at home. Simple as that. Obviously this IS a revenue topic for NCL. For me it is a health and comfort issue.

Yep! My posts got bashed big time because I prefer bottled water, so I know what you mean. Just bring it. I pack it in my suitcase and have never had a problem.

Regarding swelling.. I'm not sure it's the water (unless it's what they cook with). I had a horrible episode on my last cruise. My ankles swelled so much that I couldn't fit into any of my shoes or sneakers and got red rashes (stasis dermatitis). We still can't figure out what caused it. If anyone knows, please let me know so I can prevent it on my next cruise.

Yep! My posts got bashed big time because I prefer bottled water, so I know what you mean. Just bring it. I pack it in my suitcase and have never had a problem.

Regarding swelling.. I'm not sure it's the water (unless it's what they cook with). I had a horrible episode on my last cruise. My ankles swelled so much that I couldn't fit into any of my shoes or sneakers and got red rashes (stasis dermatitis). We still can't figure out what caused it. If anyone knows, please let me know so I can prevent it on my next cruise.

It was the reaction caused by not be able to post on Cruise critic for the length of the cruise...

We did the majesty in August...and for the first 2 days, while we were drinking the water that came onboard in Boston, it was truly AWFUL. It was fine once we hit Bermuda. No amount of lemon or anything could take away the horrible taste.

I was SO glad we had brought our own, and no, it was not a problem at all to bring it with us.

We did the majesty in August...and for the first 2 days, while we were drinking the water that came onboard in Boston, it was truly AWFUL. It was fine once we hit Bermuda. No amount of lemon or anything could take away the horrible taste.

I was SO glad we had brought our own, and no, it was not a problem at all to bring it with us.

Which does bring up the point that not all the potable water is made aboard. They bunker it just like fuel at certain ports. They buy it from certified sources which normally means the local water supply. New York, Boston but never Bermuda because Bermuda will not sell water to anyone. Their only supply is cisterns and it is somewhat fragile. A couple of years ago they had a drought and the water was imported...from New York by ship.

try the tap water, it's better then most bottle waters. they charge for any bottle water...even at dinner when asked if we want water, we make sure they know we want tap water. you can bring your own bottles of water, it's allowed.

I haven't read the whole thread (probably should have), but you can bring cases of bottled water onboard. Just slap a luggage tag on it and tape the whole thing up really tight and good with strong packing tape. It will be handled just like luggage, so don't get all upset if a bottle or two is missing or damaged ( i think as a curtosey, the deliver it, but for payment, the delivery guy takes a couple since we're always missing a few when it gets to our room).

Thanks, Wraithe, for the indepth technical response. I was hoping a former blackshoe or bubblehead would jump in to answer this. I tried to never venture down into the engineering spaces. It was hard enough just to find my way around the flight deck. Thanks again.

SIL had a extra old suitcase (she lives south of seattle and didn't need to fly)...had a case of water (for SIL and her dad), 1 6pk of regular pepsi (for me), 1 6pk of diet pepsi (for DH) and a case of dr pepper (for BIL). had no problems getting it on the ship. it was nice of her to save us from having to stop between the airport and the ship.

I agree with the posters who said stick with the ship's water. The bottled water won't taste any better, and it is expensive to buy and heavy to carry on.

One of my newbie mistakes was to carry on a lot of bottled water. Since the ship makes their water fresh daily, would you rather have H2O that has been sitting in a plastic bottle for who knows how long, or H2O that is as fresh as fresh can be?

Archived