Which airport?

AGonzalez

I am from New York. LGA is closer to NYC then JFK. However, LGA is notorious for delays and will be the first to cancel and/or delay flights in bad weather. If you have time fly into JFK and then go to the pier, it is what I would do if I did not live in NY. EWR is located in NJ, and I do not know much about it.

Just a geography note-JFK and LGA are both located in Queens, NY. LGA is on the north shore and JFK on the south. Therfore, LGA is closer as to go to NYC from JFK you first must go through the borough of Brooklyn.

We are flying into LGA for a cruise on the NCL Dawn and need information on how to get to the pier from the airport. We fly in at 11:00 and the ship leaves at 4pm. I have read that there are buses that take you close to the pier but can't seem to get complete information on how to do this.Thanks for any help.

Are you talking about busses charted by the cruise line or just a public bus? If you are not familiar with NYC, I would not attempt to take a public bus. I would either get a cab at the airport (about $25 fare to the pier) or hire a private car. You can make reservations ahead of time and the car will pick you up at the airport. This is what we plan to do b/c they charge a flat fee, unlike taxis, so you are not wasting money if you have to sit in traffic. There are a few different car/limo companies on the various NYC airports websites.

We are landing at JFK and Princess made a reservation on the Super Shuttle for us to take us to the pier. I realize you can make your own reservations but we didn't realize at the time that Princess doesn't meet you at JFK but has a Super Shuttle take you. We went with JFK because it was so much cheaper. Hope it all works out.

Mar326..you are cutting it pretty close! Can you get an earlier flight? If your flight is delayed at all or if traffic is backed up, you could have a problem. If you cannot arrange an earlier flight, you might want to see about the cruiselines transfer. That way at least you have removed the traffic issue...if the flight is late you will still be in trouble.

No I can't change the flight. I can't believe that it would not be enough time to get to the pier that is only a few miles away. Even if the plane is an hour late coming in, It still should be enough time to get there. This is going to be on a Sunday.All I am asking is which bus company or taxi company is the most reliable. This is our third cruise on NCL this year(last Sept. went to Alaska, in May we went to the Western Caribbean)and have not had any problem getiing to the ship on time.

Is New York that much different?

Facts are Plane arrives at LGA at 11:05 and the cruise ship NCL Dawn leaves at 4:00 from the pier at the port of New York.

Any safe and reliable taxi or bus recommendations from someone who has done the trip?

Mar-

I live in NY, and if your intrested in a car service. You can try A.J. Limousine Service Inc. We use them every time we go away. They are realiable, friendly, and reasonably priced. They have limos and towncars. When you get to LGA, you call the # they gave you and they will meet you on the outside concourse. They have always been on time fo us (knock wood.)

Their phone number is 1-800-247-6577 or 516-883-8888 or 631-423-6666

Thanks for the replies. We are going to try Super Shuttle. When I called them they said there should be no problem getting to the ship on time.They said I don't need a reservation to go from the airport to the pier, but I need one from the pier to the airport.So I quess we will see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would let you know how we came out with the reservation Princess made for us on the Supershuttle. DON'T DO IT. The Supershuttle wouldn't honor our voucher from Princess so we had major problems until one of the supershuttle people had pity on us and took us anyway. We were the last to get off the supershuttle at the ship, two hours later, the tenth off. We did see some of New York this way so it was a plus that way as we rode around as they dropped people off. Some others from the ship finally gave up on their voucher and just hired a cab themselves which ended up cheaper anyway we later found out. I think we will do our own transfers after this. The transfer from the ship to the Montreal airport was great. I did complain to Princess about the transfer from the airport and they were great in refunding that portion but could have done without the stress.

• 1 year later...

We will be doing the New England/Canada cruise on Princess the end of

Oct. I found a great fare from our home near Louisville into LGA nonstop

and now I am trying to decide how early to book the return flight. There

is one at 11 am, is that too early? there is also one around 2:30, but I don't

want to be sitting around the airport for hours if we don't have to.

Is the 11 am doable?

thanks,

Sharon

We will be doing the New England/Canada cruise on Princess the end of

Oct. I found a great fare from our home near Louisville into LGA nonstop

and now I am trying to decide how early to book the return flight. There

is one at 11 am, is that too early? there is also one around 2:30, but I don't

want to be sitting around the airport for hours if we don't have to.

Is the 11 am doable?

I would book the 2:30. We sailed last year on Oct 15th and returned on the 22nd. We used a different pier last year but Princess only provided transfers to those with flights after 2 pm. Our flight was at 1:59 out of LGA. We made the flight fine but I wouldn't want to book any flights before 12:30 or so (based on using the Manhattan pier last year - not sure if Red Hook would be any different).

Thanks, I think you are right. 2:30 would be better. We will also get

the Princess Transfer to the LGA. My Mom has a mobility problem so I decided the later flight would be best for lots of reasons.

You wouldn't have any suggestions for a hotel the night before the cruise,

would you?

thanks,

Sharon

Sharon,

I struggled a lot with hotels last year. I also had a parent with a disability and wanted a good loctation for a hotel. I am not sure what was going on last year but every 3 and 4 star hotel I looked at cost $400 per night. I couldn't believe it. Priceline and Hotwire were not cooperating. I ended up looking at the conferences that were going on and there was a conference at Jacob Javitz center which was open to the public and had a $8 entrance fee that had conference hotels and brought the Marriott Marquis hotel from $400 down to $250. We ended up staying there. I was concerned since I had stayed there in 2001 that the elevators were not adequate (It used to take 45 minutes to get an elevator there) but they have installed new elevators and it was much better. Though - to end the story, we happened to be there when NE was going through tons of floods and rain and our 3 night pre-cruise consisted of constant pouring rain so we spent the majority of time at the hotel and didn't leave much. The good news is that it cleared up the day we got on our cruise!

Good luck in your search!

Theresa

All this conversation has led me to change our flight plans and come in to LaGuardia on the 15th. We arrive at noon so we will have a night to spend in NY. We are going to stay at the Marriott near LaGuardia. Any suggestion for the night of the 15th in that area? By the way, we are booked on the Dawn. Cant wait!!

Also what time should we leave from the Marriott to go to pier on the 16th??

Thanks

This sounds like something we may decide to do too, was it reasonably

priced? My sister was checking Hotels.com and Travelocity we were

surprised how expensive some were. 4 years ago we stayed at the

Embassy Suites, they were very reasonable then, but now want over

$400.00 a night. That is a bit more then what we want to spend.

i use northwest to rack up the miles. they had the best price for going to lga instead of the other airports. and i took into consideration the cost of getting to the hotel. since lga is closer too manhattan i will be saving on transpotation to get too my room for the night. so i went with lga. i go the day before so if there is a delay i wont miss the ship.

Try www.cruiseportlodging.com and click on hotels in NY. We got a great deal at the Omni Berkshire for under $200. It's a great hotel a few blocks from Times square. It's not far from the pier and we were sailing on a Sunday so traffic wasn't too bad. Left the hotel at 11:10 and was in line at the terminal by 11:40.

GN

Our Travel agent booked a room at the Marriott too, she said it is a 3 star

hotel and very reasonably priced, she also booked transportation to get us

from the Airport to hotel to the ship and from the ship back to the airport.

Archived