Tell me about Amsterdam!

btobey

DH and I are taking are first HAL cruise next spring, Amsterdam's April 27th sailing through the Panama Canal. We are very excited, and I would love to learn more about the ship in advance from those who have sailed her already. I'm interested in virtually anything you can tell me, but especially the following:

1) How are the fitness facilities? What kinds of classes are offered? Is there are surcharge for these services?

2) What were your favorite on-board activities? How were the shows in the evening? How about the movie selections?

3) If you sailed Amsterdam for a Panama Canal cruise or similar ports (eg, Mexican Riviera), did you take any of the excursions offered by HAL? If so, which ones do you think were worth it?

4) Any other information/suggestions/advice?

As you can see below, this will be my 6th cruise, but it's only DH's 2nd, and I really want it to be a great time. :D

The first time we sailed on the Amsterdam was a repositioning cruise from Seattle to Ft Lauderdale - 22 days. We did take the ships tours.

We were just on her again last year for a Hawaiian cruise. The gym has 7 treadmills and other equipment. There are classes like spinning, yoga, pilats, etc. -- $11 each. Sometimes they offer a deal if you sign up for multiple sessions.

Can't answer your question about shows as HAL has been changing them on some of the ships.

We don't do movies on a cruise but HAL does show currant movies like those playing in the theaters.

There are lots of things to do - trivia, earn dam dollars by golf putting, golf chipping, etc.

Btobey, here's a link to the review I did of our Amsterdam Holiday Caribbean/Partial Panama Canal transit we did over the holidays last December/January. It's now eight months old, so not the very latest info, but most things on HAL haven't changed very much since then:). I hope you find it helpful:). Have a wonderful cruise!

Karin

Hi btobey,

The crew was wonderful. At the buffet, the man who gave you the trays was nice. His name was Superman. On the first day he ask my name and the names of every one in our party. There were five of us. Well, I would go up there looking for my husband and he would say Hi, if you are looking for Tony, he is sitting over there with Lucy and Joe. I couldn't believe that he would remember our names. He was doing this with so many people. Every one knew him.

The ship was pretty and always clean. Shows were good. The food was good. But I didn't like the pasta sauces at at the buffey. But that's my taste.

Geo

Geo, thanks for the additional info! Even though our cruise is still 215 days away (according to my counter), we're very excited already!

Karin, thanks for the link--I will check out your review.

Beth

Archived