Cabin Selection Tahitian Princess

Golspie

.We have just considering a "Last Minute" deal on Tahitian Princess. We are relatively inexperienced cruisers, (this is only our second cruise )but after our experience on the Norwegian Jewel in Europe this year we are hooked. The only cabin available is at the very end of the stern on deck 6. It is a balcony cabin with a partially obstructed view (which we don't mind). However, we have some concern about noise from the ship's engines and anchor. We would really appreciate some comments on this. Would the "guaranteed" option would be a better choice to make? Our understanding of the "guaranteed" option is that you are guaranteed a cabin in the class you have booked and can't be assigned to lower priced cabin. Perhaps someone can verify this?

We had dinner tablemates who stayed in that cabin during our TP cruise this summer. They had no noise issues with the cabin. The cabin was fine. We didn't run into any really rough weather so I don't know if there are any movement issues with that pasrt of the ship in high seas. The only problem they had was that they didn't know that it was "obstructed view" before they arrived on-board. They negotiated a reasonable settlement with Princess.

Since then, the "obstruction" is clearly stated on all Princess materials. By the way, the obstuction is caused by the super-structure of the ship. It cuts, at an angle, across the back (port and starboard) balconies. That means, that while the balcony is the same size as others, the steel structure of the ship blocks the view on one side of the balcony.

.Would the "guaranteed" option would be a better choice to make? Our understanding of the "guaranteed" option is that you are guaranteed a cabin in the class you have booked and can't be assigned to lower priced cabin. Perhaps someone can verify this?

You're right - with a guarantee booking, you could be assigned a cabin in your guaranteed category or upgraded to a higher category cabin - but not downgraded to a lower category cabin.

If you don't care where your cabin is, then definitely go with the guarantee option in hopes that you'd be assigned to an unobstructed balcony room. Just remember that, with a guarantee booking, your assigned cabin can be in the front, middle, or rear of the ship and on any deck.

Our tablemates on our last cruise (Pacific Princess) were in an aft facing stern cabin and they had no complaints about engine noise or vibration. I specifically asked them about it because the dinning room would throb and rattle at times but their cabins higher up were apparently OK.

Be careful, obstructed view is NOT shown on all of Princess' material and many of their staff often do not know which cabins are obstructed. Go on the Princess website and take a look at the Tahitian/Pacific Princess deck plans for deck 7. Cabin 7112 & 7117 are obstructed view and a different category but it is not shown on their webpage. Play it safe and ask on the message board to make sure.

.We have just considering a "Last Minute" deal on Tahitian Princess. We are relatively inexperienced cruisers, (this is only our second cruise )but after our experience on the Norwegian Jewel in Europe this year we are hooked. The only cabin available is at the very end of the stern on deck 6. It is a balcony cabin with a partially obstructed view (which we don't mind). However, we have some concern about noise from the ship's engines and anchor. We would really appreciate some comments on this. Would the "guaranteed" option would be a better choice to make? Our understanding of the "guaranteed" option is that you are guaranteed a cabin in the class you have booked and can't be assigned to lower priced cabin. Perhaps someone can verify this?

That is my understanding as well. We were on the TP last yr. and though we did not have an aft cabin a couple at our dinner table did and they really liked it. There were no problems with noise at all and they were all the way aft, looking at the wake. If I were you I would take that cruise. The TP is a beautuful ship and is perfect for FP. She will be out of there after 10/2008 until 12/2009 so if you have a chance to sail her I would do so in a hearbeat. Cheers, Larry :)

Also, you won't be bothered by the anchor since that's located in the bow of the ship, hundreds of feet away.

Under normal cruising circumstances, you probably won't experience a lot of vibration from the engines. However, when docking or positioning to drop anchor, the thrusters might cause vibration but that's short-term.

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply to my query. I really appreciate the fact that you have given up valuable time to help. We have decided to go with the "guaranteed" option - perhaps we may have some latent gambling instincts!! Will post a message after our return to let you know if the risk paid off. Re anchor in the stern, that's what comes of sailing small yachts where you often have 2 anchors, one in the bow and one in the stern!

Archived