family cruise -DAWN or SPIRIT

beccadoby

Which would you choose for a FAMILY CRUISE?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you choose for a FAMILY CRUISE?

First of all I would like to say that I have not cruised with NCL. BUT, I am going to book our '09 Spring break cruise soon and I am "weighing my options".

WE have sailed RCCL, CCL, and Disney. I am up for a change.

This is for a FAMILY cruise with 3 kids- ages at time of cruise will be 16, 11, and 8

I have found 2 itineraries that I like for the week of our spring break. One is on the Dawn and the other is on the Spirit. We would be happy with either ship's ports of calls.

So, it is down to the ship- which do you like best and why?

I would also love to see pics of either ship- if anyone would like to share their links;)

Also, what is the deposit per person for the 7 night?

Thanks!

I haven't been on either, but I am a Mom, so I thought I'd throw a couple of cents in. Something I've learned over my travelling history is that it's really important to know not only where you're going, but who's going. I had a quick peek at the two itineraries, and I think you should make your decision based on where you'll be going, as opposed to the ships. The two ships are relatively similar; there won't be a whole lot of difference in the activities and amenities. The two itineraries, in my opinion, are quite different, however. You've got plenty of time between now and then... I think you should have a look at all the desitinations and research what you'll be able to do excursion wise in each port and then decide as a family which itinerary is going to be the best for all of you.

I'm sure you'll have a great time, whichever you choose! You'll find the freestyle concept is really fantastic for families!

I haven't been on either, but I am a Mom, so I thought I'd throw a couple of cents in. Something I've learned over my travelling history is that it's really important to know not only where you're going, but who's going. I had a quick peek at the two itineraries, and I think you should make your decision based on where you'll be going, as opposed to the ships. The two ships are relatively similar; there won't be a whole lot of difference in the activities and amenities. The two itineraries, in my opinion, are quite different, however. You've got plenty of time between now and then... I think you should have a look at all the desitinations and research what you'll be able to do excursion wise in each port and then decide as a family which itinerary is going to be the best for all of you.

THANKS for input!:) It really is down to the ship for the fact that we are ok with both itineraries. The only place that I am weary about is Belize. I have heard a few bad remarks about it. :(

PORTS OF CALL:

DAWN

Samana, Dominican Republic 10:00am7:00pmSt. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands 9:00am6:00pmTortola, British V.I. 8:00am4:00pmGreat Stirrup Cay, Bahamas 10:00am6:00pm

SPIRIT

5:30pmCosta Maya, Mexico 8:00am6:00pmSanto Tomas de Castilla, Guatemala 8:00am6:00pmBelize City, Belize 8:00am6:00pmCozumel, Mexico 8:00am5:00pm

we are looking at the spirit for this december...belize is one port we were be getting away from the docks. no real reason, but this is one area that the most that is offered, is not at the docks. i have been wanting to see the mayan ruins in this area for years.

in poor countries like belize, the port areas are will not be the best tourist center. DH was down there several years ago, on the fishing trip. it's well known for this fishing. he had a great time.

on the belize boards, there seems to be a lot to do there:D . cave tubing sounds really interesting, but i have my heart set on the ruins.

I like both ships, but I think the Dawn has a little more to offer for your kids. I know you are okay with both, but I also think it is a slightly better itinerary for the younger one. Either way, you will have a great time and I am totally jealous!

Hi,

I have not been on the spirit yet but we love the Dawn great kids crew!

Take a look at my review if you get a chance:):)

Just read your review! Sounds good. I am still confused on the whole dining thing. Guess I need to "lurk" around on this board awhile and I will pick it all up. ;)

How was the kid's themed pool? I saw a pic on the site and it looked cool.

I like to book early but I was reading that they might not give you the discount if your sailing goes down in price....:confused: So, if I book and a military or senior rate comes out later, NCL will NOT go back and discount your cruise?

We were in Belize on the Dream in December and it was fantastic!! It was absolutely beautiful there, and the dock area is set apart from the city itself, so it's kind of like the Golden Zone in Mazatlan, with a lot of shops and tourists. We booked a snorkeling excursion there on the dock and had a wonderful day, swam with rays, saw a barracuda (close up! yikes!), and had a yummy lunch in an oceanside restaurant.

I've never heard anything bad about Belize... pretty much all good, in fact. I would recommend it. We also stopped in Cozumel on that tour, and took a taxi to Chankanaab Park, where some of our party played with the dolphins, some snorkelled, and some went for a shallow scuba dive. All of it was booked directly at the park for much less than any of the ship excursions, by the way. It was our daughter's favorite day, of course, but I think ours was Belize.

but i have my heart set on the ruins.

MEEEE TOOOO!;) I love to see the ruins.

We were in Belize on the Dream in December and it was fantastic!! It was absolutely beautiful there, and the dock area is set apart from the city itself, so it's kind of like the Golden Zone in Mazatlan, with a lot of shops and tourists. We booked a snorkeling excursion there on the dock and had a wonderful day, swam with rays, saw a barracuda (close up! yikes!), and had a yummy lunch in an oceanside restaurant.

I've never heard anything bad about Belize... pretty much all good, in fact. I would recommend it. We also stopped in Cozumel on that tour, and took a taxi to Chankanaab Park, where some of our party played with the dolphins, some snorkelled, and some went for a shallow scuba dive. All of it was booked directly at the park for much less than any of the ship excursions, by the way. It was our daughter's favorite day, of course, but I think ours was Belize.

LOVED Chankanaab! Georgous wasnt it? That is where my avatar was taken.

Archived