Cell Phones??

gizmo0013

We are going on Royal Caribbean Cruise Majesty of the Sea in Dec. I have to stay in touch with my parents because the are taking care of all of my animals. And well mom worrys. We have Verizon. I emailed Royal and asked them about it and they said they have phone towers on Majesty of the Sea. But that is all they will say. We are going to the Bahama's. Has anyone used there cell on this ship or any ship on Royal if so what kind of phone? If not what is the cheapest way to stay in touch? Aleast one time a day.

Using cell phones at sea is very expensive. Email is much, much cheaper. Purchase a package deal and you can get internet access down to around 55 cents per minute. Log in, check your email, log off. Use your word processor to create your emails, log back in and paste into your email program, then log off. I can get a 100 minute package and it lasts for a 10 day cruise with no problem doing that.

Cheers,

Using cell phones at sea is very expensive. Email is much, much cheaper. Purchase a package deal and you can get internet access down to around 55 cents per minute. Log in, check your email, log off. Use your word processor to create your emails, log back in and paste into your email program, then log off. I can get a 100 minute package and it lasts for a 10 day cruise with no problem doing that.

Cheers,

My parents dont know anything about internets. So that will not work.

Hi! We were on Mariner of the seas in May and our phones did work everywhere we were. Even in the middle of the ocean with no land in sight! We have Verizon also. But as another poster said, it is expensive. I don't remember exactly what it is a minute or what the roaming was but our bill is usually 125.00 a month, after the cruise it was 398.00. I also had to check in everyday with my mother. One was for the pets, one was because of "a paticular person" possibly trying to break into our house. So, just be careful not to go over what you can afford! Enjoy your cruise!

Cindy

Hi! We were on Mariner of the seas in May and our phones did work everywhere we were. Even in the middle of the ocean with no land in sight! We have Verizon also. But as another poster said, it is expensive. I don't remember exactly what it is a minute or what the roaming was but our bill is usually 125.00 a month, after the cruise it was 398.00. I also had to check in everyday with my mother. One was for the pets, one was because of "a paticular person" possibly trying to break into our house. So, just be careful not to go over what you can afford! Enjoy your cruise!

Cindy

Do we have to add anything to our plan? What kind of phones do we need?

Our phones are the Verizon LG 8600. My husband took care of all of the cell phone stuff but I know you have to call, 1 week prior I think, to leaving to have International calling added to your plan. I think it was only 3.95 for the month. You have to remember to cancel it when you get back or they will keep that charge on there. Hope that helps. Any other questions just let me know and I will try and help!

Cindy

Our phones are the Verizon LG 8600. My husband took care of all of the cell phone stuff but I know you have to call, 1 week prior I think, to leaving to have International calling added to your plan. I think it was only 3.95 for the month. You have to remember to cancel it when you get back or they will keep that charge on there. Hope that helps. Any other questions just let me know and I will try and help!

Cindy

We added international they told us it was free. I dont know I guess we will know when we get the bill. Thank you. If I think of anything else about it Ill ask you.

Hi Gizmo, I just returned from the 9/15 sailing on Liberty of the Seas. I also have Verizon and I had some unexpected business pop up the day after we left Miami that had to be dealt with by phone rather than email. It was either pay $7.95 per minute using ships phone or take a chance with Verizon roaming capabilities. I made calls while in port (San Juan, San Marteen, Labadee) and also during sea days.

I just went to Verizon Wireless dot com this morning to check the roaming rates - they have them available for every country as well as for most CRUISE SHIPS - including Majesty. My rates varied from 69 cents a minute (Puerto Rico) to $2.49 per minute (at sea).

Verizon's website also lists all phones that have built in international / roaming capabilites (I didn't know mine did so I lucked out - Motorola E815) and what you should do before leaving (*228 to update your network).

You probably also have time to benefit by updating your plan as a previous poster mentioned and you won't get stuck with a big bill the following month (like me, lol).

Hope you enjoy your cruise!!

Hi Gizmo, I just returned from the 9/15 sailing on Liberty of the Seas. I also have Verizon and I had some unexpected business pop up the day after we left Miami that had to be dealt with by phone rather than email. It was either pay $7.95 per minute using ships phone or take a chance with Verizon roaming capabilities. I made calls while in port (San Juan, San Marteen, Labadee) and also during sea days.

I just went to Verizon Wireless dot com this morning to check the roaming rates - they have them available for every country as well as for most CRUISE SHIPS - including Majesty. My rates varied from 69 cents a minute (Puerto Rico) to $2.49 per minute (at sea).

Verizon's website also lists all phones that have built in international / roaming capabilites (I didn't know mine did so I lucked out - Motorola E815) and what you should do before leaving (*228 to update your network).

You probably also have time to benefit by updating your plan as a previous poster mentioned and you won't get stuck with a big bill the following month (like me, lol).

Hope you enjoy your cruise!!

Great that helps alot. Thanks

Your phone must have GSM or GPRS capabilities. If not, it won't work with the ship's phone towers. You must activate international calling features on your phone, if your phone has that capability. While it is cheaper to use your cell phone rather than the ship's phone, it's not that much cheaper. When I used my Verizon phone on a cruise, I got a whopping bill for nearly $400. There is the roaming charges, the ship's connect charges and the regular per minute fees.

I have a cheap phone from WalMart. It is a Net10 phone. You pay approximately $30.00 and it includes 300 minutes. I used my phone all over the Caribbean (except at Grand Turk where it would not work). I paid 10 cents a minute. It took me about 15 minutes to get the phone up and running. This would, IMHO, be a worthwhile thing to get if one only used it while cruising.

Doc:)

I have a cheap phone from WalMart. It is a Net10 phone. You pay approximately $30.00 and it includes 300 minutes. I used my phone all over the Caribbean (except at Grand Turk where it would not work). I paid 10 cents a minute. It took me about 15 minutes to get the phone up and running. This would, IMHO, be a worthwhile thing to get if one only used it while cruising.

Doc:)

How will I know if it works in the Bahamas? Can you use yours at sea?

I found this information on Verizon Wireless website. I will be cruising the Majesty myself Oct 1 and thought I would do some research for the same purpose I have a dog I am leaving with my parents. I hope this information is helpful

International Services

International RoamingInternational Services

Int'l Roaming Global Phone Global Rental

Traveling Internationally? Take your Verizon Wireless phone with you!

You can use your Verizon Wireless digital phone to make and receive calls while roaming on a participating carrier’s network. For additional information, select from the country menu shown below.

Cruise Ship Services

Verizon Wireless Cruise Ship Services are now available, providing the ability to make and receive calls while traveling on select cruise lines for a low rate of $2.49 per minute. You'll enjoy global connections that make it easy to keep in touch while cruising on the select cruise lines.

Select the roaming country or cruise ship information from the menu below: Select country or cruise ship Aruba Bahamas Barbados Belize Bermuda Bonaire Brazil British Virgin Islands Canada Carnival Celebration Carnival Conquest Carnival Destiny Carnival Ectasy Carnival Elation Carnival Fantasy Carnival Fascination Carnival Freedom Carnival Glory Carnival Holiday Carnival Imagination Carnival Inspiration Carnival Legend Carnival Liberty Carnival Miracle Carnival Paradise Carnival Pride Carnival Sensation Carnival Spirit Carnival Triumph Carnival Valor Carnival Victory Cayman Islands Celebrity Century Celebrity Constellation Celebrity Galaxy Celebrity Infinity Celebrity Mercury Celebrity Millennium Celebrity Summit China Crystal Cruise: Serenity Crystal Cruise: Symphony Curacao Dominican Republic Guam Guatemala Holland Amerca: Oosterdam Holland America: Amsterdam Holland America: Noordam Holland America: Prinsendam Holland America: Rotterdam Holland America: Statendam Holland America: Veendam Holland America: Volendam Holland America: Westerdam Holland America: Zaandam Holland America: Zuiderdam Holland America: Maasdam India Israel Jamaica Macau Mexico Netherlands Antilles (Bonaire, Curacao, St. Maarten) New Zealand Northern Mariana Islands (Rota, Saipan and Tinian) Norwegian Crown Norwegian Dawn Norwegian Dream Norwegian Jewel Norwegian Majesty Norwegian Pearl Norwegian Spirit Norwegian Star Norwegian Sun Norwegian Wind Oceania Insignia Oceania Regatta Peru Princess Cruises:Grand Princess Puerto Rico Regent Seven Seas: Mariner Regent Seven Seas: Navigator Regent Seven Seas: Voyager Royal Caribbean: Adventure of the Seas Royal Caribbean: Brilliance of the Seas Royal Caribbean: Empress of the Seas Royal Caribbean: Enchantment of the Seas Royal Caribbean: Explorer of the Seas Royal Caribbean: Freedom of the Seas Royal Caribbean: Grandeur of the Seas Royal Caribbean: Jewel of the Seas Royal Caribbean: Legend of the Seas Royal Caribbean: Majesty of the Seas Royal Caribbean: Mariner of the Seas Royal Caribbean: Monarch of the Seas Royal Caribbean: Navigator of the Seas Royal Caribbean: Radiance of the Seas Royal Caribbean: Rhapsody of the Seas Royal Caribbean: Serenade of the Seas Royal Caribbean: Sovereign of the Seas Royal Caribbean: Splendour of the Seas Royal Caribbean: Voyager of the Seas Silver Sea Shadow Silver Sea Whisper Silver Sea Wind South Korea St. Maarten Taiwan Thailand US Virgin Islands Venezuela Vietnam Vision of the Seas Display

Cruise Ship Roaming Rate TXT Messaging Can I use my VZW

phone to call this

country from the U.S.?

Royal Caribbean: Majesty of the Seas $2.49 N/A Yes

± International Dialing feature (I-Dial) is required on your account before you leave the U.S. for international roaming. To roam in Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Guam, Jamaica, Saipan, and the United States Virgin Islands the I-Dial feature is not required. Eligibility restrictions apply. For more information, please call Customer Service at (800) 922-0204.

*CDMA roaming rates are either $0.69 per minute or $1.29 per minute, depending on the country or per your Corporate Agreement. This information is current as of 8/3/06 but is subject to change without notice.

View Coverage and Dialing Instructions

I-DIAL

Making international calls, and roaming in most countries, requires international dialing capability (I-DIAL) on your account. You can make calls to and roam in some North American countries without I-DIAL; see International Services for details. I-DIAL requires a minimum payment history and contract term, and a security deposit may be required. Failure to maintain these requirements may result in I-DIAL suspension without notice. You can remove I-DIAL at any time by calling Customer Service. For South Korea, see the special instructions below.

Looking for more countries?

For a short trip abroad, try our Global Rental program.

Frequent traveler? Purchase a Global Phone.

International Roaming

International roaming requires digital or tri-mode CDMA phone with current roaming software. Roaming in South Korea requires a manual update to your phone’s software. I-DIAL required for CDMA roaming in many countries. Rates, terms, and conditions apply only when roaming on participating networks in published countries. Service may be available in additional countries, but rates and service availability (including return calls from emergency services personnel) may be restricted. Where available, calls placed to directory assistance, entertainment lines, and any third-party services are billed (along with applicable toll charges) in addition to roaming rates. When roaming near country borders, calls may be carried by a cell site located in a neighboring country and billed at that country’s rates. Text messaging not available everywhere. Premium text messaging programs that are accessible domestically are also accessible when roaming internationally and charges will be in addition to text messaging roaming charges. Message waiting indicator service is not available to customers with V-Block and where text messaging is not available. Availability of service and features, including the ability to make and receive international calls, varies by serving carrier and location and may be restricted without notice. See verizonwireless.com/international for rates and countries.

Cruise Ship Roaming Terms and Conditions

Cruise Ship Services: Requires digital or tri-mode phone with current roaming software. International Dialing ("I-DIAL") feature is required to make and receive calls to and from locations other than the U.S. and to make and receive calls when you are in port or on land (subject to roaming service availability and rates). I-DIAL is subject to eligibility requirements, which if not maintained, may result in restriction of service. Cruise Ship roaming rates apply only to calls made and received when traveling in international waters on the cruise lines and ships currently published on verizonwireless.com/international. Calls made and received when you are in port or cruising in an area served by a foreign roaming partner are billed at the applicable roaming rates for that country. Availability of calling features, including the ability to make and receive international calls, varies and may be restricted without notice.

To South Korea:

· Customers with EV-DO voice of EV-DO PDA Smartphone devices may now roam in South Korea by dialing *228 and selecting option 2 to obtain an updated PRL prior to international travel.

· Non EV-DO voice handsets need to be manually updated with the South Korea PRL in Verizon Wireless Stores.

· Non EV-DO types of BlackBerry, Treo, and PDA Smartphone devices cannot be used in South Korea.

Thank you so much about getting international service added to your cell phone before leaving home. We leave in 11 days for our cruise. I just called my wireless network and had this feature added to both my Husbands and I phone.

To add the feature cost $$$ o.oo and you don't have to cancel it after the cruise. The very nice customer service lady told me we will be charged anywhere from $2.00 - $5.00 per minute when we receive or place calls while on board.

Less than 30 min after calling Cincinnati Bell I received a TEXT message on my phone stating the feature had been added.

I am planning not to make international calls while on board but incase of emergency, its nice to know I can receive phone calls.

Be careful with certain cell phones. If you keep them turned on all the time, some phones will constantly be scanning for local networks and trying to download information such as text messages and email. I know of some who've gotten home and have had bills of more than $2000. So, if you have a cell that has the feature of email, keep the phone turned off unless you are actually using it.

On our last cruise to the Eastern Caribbean, I was able to use my cell phone anywhere, and we're from Canada.

Most of the islands were $1.75 per minute for me, but that was just the U.S. rate for a Canadian phone. If I remember correctly, St. Thomas was more expensive (about $4.50 per minute).

I left the phone on all the time (in the safe), and took it out at night to charge, and it did scan from network to network - at one point it welcomed me to the Cuban network!

The additional amount on my bill was only about $20.00 all together, but I just used the phone when we were near an island, not out at sea which can be more expensive. We had an internet plan and emailed the kids every day, just had the phone for emergencies, (or when I wanted to hear their voices):rolleyes:

Have a great cruise!

Kim.

• 2 weeks later...

I was told that with the international cell phone option such as the one verizon has is fine, IF you make a call from a port of call. You just pay the phone roaming charges which aren't too much.

HOWEVER if you use them at sea your call "goes off" the ship's tower and you get charged the $8.00 or so a minute ship phone charge. Anyone know if this is true?

Jimmers

If you use the ship's cell phone service, and not all ships have that, there are extra charges. You have access fees, connect fees and roaming charges. For the most part, we've found that using the ship's satellite service can add up to nearly $5.50 a minute.

Archived