Passports for Children

mdmomof7

Okay, keep talking here. DH just got home from work and I told him I'd been vetting passport option ideas on my expert resource, CC. He said we're going to risk it and go with bcs for all! Whoa! I'm usually the calculated risk taker and he's Mr. Conservative. Stay tuned...:rolleyes:

I understand completely, esp for a family of 9, that can be a huge expense. We are also cruising without passports in November, I will get them when they make me.

mdmomof7- Congradulations to your DH for "doing something different" then he would normally do !! I have no doubt you'll be just fine with your decision.

Two thoughts in case you and your DH should have second thoughts about the decision--

First, when we cruised 4 weeks ago there was only one debarkation line BUT just in case there is the possibility of different ones for passports and no passports all you would have to do to ensure that your daughter didn't have to go through the line alone is for either you or your DH to also carry your bsc and drivers license with you along with your passport and CHOOSE for you to go through the line using your bsc with your daughter. JUST because you have a passport doesn't mean you HAVE to use it IF it's not a requirement. (we have passports and live near the Canadian boarder but we don't bother to pull them out of the safe just to cross the boarder for an afternoon trip--as our driver's license and bsc [not that they've ever asked to see the bsc] work just fine.)

Second thought-- IF you do plan to take future trips that you reasonably think may REQUIRE passports and you do have a large family- I would probably apply for two now. NOT because you HAVE to have them right now, but because it would breakup the cost over a longer period of time and not make it seem quite so expensive all at the same time. !

Enjoy your cruise !!

Jeeeez, same question very three days, and same answer, and same arguments.

If you can afford to cruise, you can afford the passport.

Bite the bullet, pay the paltry few bucks, and get the &^$*^%$ passport!

Being from GA, I thought you'd have had your mint julep or some other such southern comfort by now. Have a nice evenin' y'all. :)

mdmomof7- Congradulations to your DH for "doing something different" then he would normally do !! I have no doubt you'll be just fine with your decision.

Two thoughts in case you and your DH should have second thoughts about the decision--

First, when we cruised 4 weeks ago there was only one debarkation line BUT just in case there is the possibility of different ones for passports and no passports all you would have to do to ensure that your daughter didn't have to go through the line alone is for either you or your DH to also carry your bsc and drivers license with you along with your passport and CHOOSE for you to go through the line using your bsc with your daughter. JUST because you have a passport doesn't mean you HAVE to use it IF it's not a requirement. (we have passports and live near the Canadian boarder but we don't bother to pull them out of the safe just to cross the boarder for an afternoon trip--as our driver's license and bsc [not that they've ever asked to see the bsc] work just fine.)

Second thought-- IF you do plan to take future trips that you reasonably think may REQUIRE passports and you do have a large family- I would probably apply for two now. NOT because you HAVE to have them right now, but because it would breakup the cost over a longer period of time and not make it seem quite so expensive all at the same time. !

Enjoy your cruise !!

Buy two now - That's a good idea. I had originally planned to get dh and oldest ds passports as they'd likely use them again soon. I'm not so sure about the younger ones yet. We'll see how they like cruising first.

And your explanation of going back and forth over the Canadian border and not using your passport just proves the point yet AGAIN that this entire passport fiasco is for no good reason.

I bought passports for all three of my sons, but if I were in your situation with one child near the five vs ten year cut off, I'd wait. I've also flown many patients (not from cruise ships though) and I can assure you that customs laws are not an issue with medical transports in general. I can't promise you wouldn't encouter some red tape, but the tape would be easily cut by medical staff. There's all kinds of talk about rules after 911; medical flights were the only flights authorized during the chaos immediately after 911. We had many additional hoops to jump (or fly) through, but the flights did continue though not in the same numbers as before. My point is that medical flights are not delayed unless something is very questionable. Your daughter's lack of a passport would not cause any concern now, and perhaps even very little concern in the future when passports are required for all travel.

I mean, you are not talking much money here, and in 5 years, she'll want a new picture anyway.

As the mother of a recently-turned-16 daughter, you are so right! :D

I agree, get the passport now. The stress relief alone is worth the silly $30.

Archived