Passports for Children

mdmomof7

Okay, here goes. I know I should get passports for everyone, but dd will be 16 on Jan. 15th. I really wanted to get her the adult version for just a bit more money because it lasts twice as long. That means waiting until her 16th bday on the 15th. We sail Jan. 19, 2008. I will go ahead and get passports for everyone younger than her because they will not be 16 for several years. So, basically, I'm getting passports for everyone except her. Worse case scenario, we are on the cruise (WC) and she needs to FLY back for medical treatment and only has her bc and learner's permit. Any guesses as to how much 'red tape' there will be if I accompany her and I do have my DL and Passport?

Or, should I just go ahead and get her the 5 year passport? She does plan to do extensive travel over the next several years - school, mission trips, and pleasure.

Opinions? Flames? Asbestos suit required? :eek:

(If it were me) I would get her the PP. I know it is good for a shorter time, but, think of this:

If (heaven forbid) you must fly back, for some unforeseen reason, she would need a pp to get back into the country.

I would just get it, that way you know for sure you are covered (for any reason) and she is properly documented.

JMO.

{both of my girls have them, we got them before you needed them, I just wanted 'to be sure'}

I think you have it right. I have been in the worst case scenario when my youngest was medically evacuated from a cruise ship in 2005 (this was AFTER 9/11) and they didn't even take us through customs or ask us for any documents. They wanted us to get to a hospital ASAP and they weren't worried about the documents. ;)

So with that being said, I have cruised with friends who only used their birth certificates. They had no problems and this was just last month.

I would probably do the same thing.

I'd get the passports....In the whole scheme of life, don't you want to be safe than sorry? You'll save $30 bucks on her youth passport, but that in the bank, and in 5 years take that money and put it toward her new passport....I mean, you are not talking much money here, and in 5 years, she'll want a new picture anyway.

Your daughter will be fine with the BC and ID. In case of emergency, she will still be able to get back to the US without the passport. The only problem will be that since she will be the only one in your group w/o a passport she will have to go into a separate line at customs for debarkation.

I think you have it right. I have been in the worst case scenario when my youngest was medically evacuated from a cruise ship in 2005 (this was AFTER 9/11) and they didn't even take us through customs or ask us for any documents. They wanted us to get to a hospital ASAP and they weren't worried about the documents. ;)

So with that being said, I have cruised with friends who only used their birth certificates. They had no problems and this was just last month.

I would probably do the same thing.

Hi Michele

The laws have changed in the past year about passports and will change again this year What the Op is refering to is if she need to get off the boat for medical emergency then have to fly home, Birth Cert is ok now for boats but to fly you need a passport to get through customs, id and birth certificate isnt going to be enough..

I say get the Passport..if something does happen (knock on wood) the last thing you need to worry about is how your going to get home..

Hi Michele

The laws have changed in the past year about passports and will change again this year What the Op is refering to is if she need to get off the boat for medical emergency then have to fly home, Birth Cert is ok now for boats but to fly you need a passport to get through customs, id and birth certificate isnt going to be enough..

I say get the Passport..if something does happen (knock on wood) the last thing you need to worry about is how your going to get home..

This is incorrect. Yes, you need a passport to fly in and out of the US. But in the event of an emergency aboard a cruise ship or in port, a temp visa can be issued and you can fly back into the US with no problem, with only your BC and ID.

Do you think that you would really be allowed to cruise out of the US if there was a chance you would have an emergency and have to stay in a foreign country forever because you didn't have a passport?

This is incorrect. Yes, you need a passport to fly in and out of the US. But in the event of an emergency aboard a cruise ship or in port, a temp visa can be issued and you can fly back into the US with no problem, with only your BC and ID.

Do you think that you would really be allowed to cruise out of the US if there was a chance you would have an emergency and have to stay in a foreign country forever because you didn't have a passport?

Becca this is what is posted in the carnival website...

Passports are required for air travel to or from Europe, Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, The Bahamas and Bermuda. This is an important new requirement for our cruise guests traveling by air to embark or debark in Vancouver for our Alaska or Hawaii cruises. In addition, this new requirement will also impact our Canadian guests that travel by air to or from any of our U.S. embarkation port. Guests must travel with a valid passport during their cruise. This will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at the first port should they miss their scheduled embarkation and allow guests that must debark the ship before their cruise ends to fly back to the U.S without significant delays and complications. For more information or to obtain a passport application, visit www.travel.state.gov. Passport Services (www.passportservices.com/carnival) can also assist with step-by-step instructions and application assistance.

If it were me I would get the PP. My daughter will need a new one next year and she will be 15. Im still going to renew hers because its much eaiser to renew, and the kids change so much. I look at my youngest who is going to be 9 soon and will also need a new PassPort and how she has changed since 4.

Becca this is what is posted in the carnival website...

Passports are required for air travel to or from Europe, Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, The Bahamas and Bermuda. This is an important new requirement for our cruise guests traveling by air to embark or debark in Vancouver for our Alaska or Hawaii cruises. In addition, this new requirement will also impact our Canadian guests that travel by air to or from any of our U.S. embarkation port. Guests must travel with a valid passport during their cruise. This will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at the first port should they miss their scheduled embarkation and allow guests that must debark the ship before their cruise ends to fly back to the U.S without significant delays and complications. For more information or to obtain a passport application, visit www.travel.state.gov. Passport Services (www.passportservices.com/carnival) can also assist with step-by-step instructions and application assistance.

Yes BUT you are missing the point. I JUST cruise with Carnival 4 WEEKS ago. Those with us used their birth certificates. Carnival STILL allows birth certificates. There is no doubt in that.

You are talking about FLYING to a missed port or from a medical emergency.

And I am here to tell you, IF there is a medical emergency, they won't leave you hanging in the other country. Their only concern is to get you back to the US. Believe me.

Now, the part about missing a port...THAT could be a problem. Like if you miss the ship and need to FLY to the next port. But how often does that occur?

"This will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at the first port should they miss their scheduled embarkation and allow guests that must debark the ship before their cruise ends to fly back to the U.S without significant delays and complications."

It doesn't say you can't fly back into the states without a passport, it just says it will be easier if you have a passport.

Now, you can not miss the ship and fly to the next port without a passport, your only option is to fly home on a temp visa.

As the stepmother of a fourteen year old girl, I would have to vote with the other poster that mentioned that your child will want a new picture in five years anyway. Get the shorter termed passport for now. There is a big difference in what (an almost) sixteen year old thinks about her hair and appropriate attire than what she might think when she is almost twenty-one. What if she graduates college and needs to travel for work and is horrified at her sixteen year old passport picture?

As the stepmother of a fourteen year old girl, I would have to vote with the other poster that mentioned that your child will want a new picture in five years anyway. Get the shorter termed passport for now. There is a big difference in what (an almost) sixteen year old thinks about her hair and appropriate attire than what she might think when she is almost twenty-one. What if she graduates college and needs to travel for work and is horrified at her sixteen year old passport picture?

I completely agree with that.....

Gosh, I look forward to getting a new dreiver's license for that exact reason...and i am 35!

Now, as far as the money...again, it is not worth the savings to me when you add it to the above.

Lastly, there was a great point about her having to get into seperate lines for debarkation. When in port that you have to go throught customs, the line WITH passports moves at a record speed compared to the ones without....believe me, I was in the one without.

You would only get seperated and held up by this...not worth the hassle, IMO.

I would like to agree that they will not prevent you from re-entering or coming home without one in case of emergency regardless.

By then SHE can pay for it! LOL!!!!! :D :p

Thanks for the replies. I didn't think about the debarkation line! It's still not a great deal in that for a few bucks more I get twice the passport length of time 10 vs. 5 years, if she were only 16! Harumph!

Now I'm wondering if I should have dh get his passport. Hmmm....Maybe the two of them can go through the debarkation line together if neither has their actual passport. What I'm also thinking, terrible, I know, but it just occurred to me. What if I get her (and dh's) application sent in the very day she turns 16?! Then I'd have proof that she (they) applied? Wonder what that would do?

My 20 yo dd doesn't look that much different than her 15 yo passport photo. Her hairstyle is different, but her face is very similar. We HAD to get her passport at 15 because we were going to Europe in 2003, just before her 16th bday. But, w/ Europe, there's not even a chance you'll go anywhere w/o a passport! Her passport is due for renewal and expires in June. As soon as we get back from this Jan. cruise, she'll get it renewed. I don't like that for renewals you again have to submit your bc and passport. Because she's a minor, renewal for her is nearly the same as a first time passport.

mdmomof7

Couple of points for you to consider:

1. Proof of application option goes away in less than a week. I would guess the link won't even appear on the website after that. So.....probably won't be of much help for the line question.

2. 20 YO can renew her passport by just sending in the old passport. True, she has to use the same form as the first-timers and make a personal appearance, but she does not need to send in her BC this time around.

3. I understand your dilemma with this overall question, and I understand your preference in delaying a month or so. Cannot help you decide what you are comfortable with, but yes, your plan is valid. I do think you fully understand the relative risks of both options; you just have to decide what you are comfortable doing.

• Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.

Above is from the US Dept. of State webpage. If you had a medical emergency and had to fly back, you will need a passport after 23 Jan 2007. I would just get the passport and worry about other problems.

Also, as far as renewing the other passport; keep in mind that many countries require you to have a passport that is valid for the next six months for entry. Not sure this applies in your case, just something to consider.

I'm sorry but with the way things are today in the world there is NO WAY that I would take a child or anyone out of the country without a passport. So.... one person has no problems- that doesn't mean that the country you are in will make an exception just for you. To me it is not worth the chance that I could not get medical help in the USA for someone that I care enough about to travel with.

She will love the new photo soon anyway!!!! Have fun!!!

If you had a medical emergency you would be granted a passport waiver:

Under which circumstances will a passport waiver be granted?

The passport requirement may be waived for U.S. citizens in certain cases on a case-by-case basis. A waiver may be granted in the case of an emergency, such as individual in need of emergency medical treatment, fire fighters responding to a call, emergency workers responding to a natural disaster, Medi-vac (land and air ambulance) cases, sick or injured crewmembers, and shipwreck or plane crash survivors. A waiver may also be granted in other cases of humanitarian or national interest.

From DH FAQ page

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/land_travel/whti_ls_faq.ctt/whti_ls_faq.pdf

Of course, it will take longer to obtain a waiver than already having the passport on hand, but you will not be denied completely. Whether or not one feels comfortable with the choice is a personal decision, not a matter of law.

• Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.

Above is from the US Dept. of State webpage. If you had a medical emergency and had to fly back, you will need a passport after 23 Jan 2007. I would just get the passport and worry about other problems.

Also, as far as renewing the other passport; keep in mind that many countries require you to have a passport that is valid for the next six months for entry. Not sure this applies in your case, just something to consider.

About that date, I thought they still do allow exceptions, or so I've been told on this board.

I knew about the passport caveat about travelling within 6 mos. of expiration, but I thought we'd be okay in the Caribbean. Her passport expires June 18, 2008!

Oh my! Looks like ALL but me are getting passports and oldest dd is getting hers renewed! I'm just one to have to find the best deal, but looks like there won't be one on this! Time to add $700 to the vacation budget. No extra frou frou drinks for us or the dolphin excursion in Cozumel! :(

Walmart photo center here we come! Is that still the least expensive location for passport photos?

Thanks for the replies. I didn't think about the debarkation line!

What am I missing about the debarkation line? Those with passports use a different line? Our friends who had the birth certificiates and our other friends who had a mixture of both (the parents had pp, the kids had bc) they were in the same debarkation line as us (we all have passports) when we got off Sensation.

So there are different lines? We didn't see that at Port Canaveral. Hmmmm:confused:

What am I missing about the debarkation line? Those with passports use a different line? Our friends who had the birth certificiates and our other friends who had a mixture of both (the parents had pp, the kids had bc) they were in the same debarkation line as us (we all have passports) when we got off Sensation.

So there are different lines? We didn't see that at Port Canaveral. Hmmmm:confused:

My son and I just got off the Ecstasy in Galveston 3 weeks ago, and I had a passport and he didn't, and we were in the same line!:confused: I don't remember seeing a separate line like that...

Okay, keep talking here. DH just got home from work and I told him I'd been vetting passport option ideas on my expert resource, CC. He said we're going to risk it and go with bcs for all! Whoa! I'm usually the calculated risk taker and he's Mr. Conservative. Stay tuned...:rolleyes:

My info may be a little out of date, my last cruise out of Galveston in 2005 on the Conquest had a separate line for passports.

Maybe it is different now.

Archived