Upgrade Certificate and Pity the Procrasinator

want2cruiseagain

I received an upgrade certificate and found a cruise that we want to take. We wanted the balcony, and the only available is a B/A, which is the highest. I called NCL and they said it would not apply because the price for all the balconies in all categories were the same price. But I checked prices on all the cruises we were interested in and the prices are all the same on those. So I don't get that this certificate would be of any use at any time. Maybe just a come on?

I also asked about the Pity the Procrasinator and that whole thing doesn't make sense to me.

Can someone help shed some light on this?

we were running into the same problem while trying to book either a gty or with the Procrasinator promo. was hoping for a BB balcony..one way or the other. but we waited too long to book. the BBs are not showing up, when i checked last night...BAs only show a few. since there are no min-suites on the spirit, no place to upgrade the BAs and BBs to..means none available to upgrade the BC, BD and BEs to.

last night the BE, BC and BA were $849, we got a BD for $729 (plus taxes and port charges). i would be very surprised if we get moved, but we have a cabin we can live with at a good price.

the next week, dec 9th, the prices were still $799 for any balcony...but when i check for availablity..the BAs and BBs are disappearing.

if we had booked months ago, we might have been able to use the Procrasinator promo....but good for it's name, we procrasinated.

basically, if the upper level cabins are selling out, they can't promise you an upgrade, even using the promo.

one person, on any website, reported she booked for may...booked an oceanview and got a BD balcony using the Procrasinator .

for our cruise, the oceanviews are going for (almost) as much as the BDs.

The person I spoke to at Lattitudes led me to believe that if you booked a B/A that you would not be upgrade to a minisuite on the procrastinator promotion. We know there are minisuites on the Star.

My T/A didn't even know about the procrasintor promotion.

The upgrade certificate is only good for what ever category you are booking (inside to inside, etc). So if we booked a B/B, we would be upgrade to a B/A. We thought that if we booked a B/A, we would be upgraded to a mini suite, but that is not the case.

I'm still confused!!!!!:confused:

she got really, really, really lucky...something that doesn't happen to me.

on my cruise, that i booked last night. the oceanview is only $50 less then the room i booked. to keep the oceanviews open for sale, since those rooms sell well...they bumped her up to a room they had plenty open.

We've decided to hold off booking anything right now. The only reason I was going to book is because we thought we might get upgrade to a mini suite, but wishful thinking, right?

I'll keep looking. We have til March '08 for this certificate.

Thanks for all your posts! I'm still pretty new at this and it's great to have the input of those who are experienced at this!:)

I booked 3 weeks ago with NCL for the 5/25th Spirit sailing. They had a upgrade special offer "book a oceanview get a BD balcony". That offer was listed on their web site for a couple of weeks. It's gone this week but they still have a special offer: book a inside get a oceanview (cat G). As a matter of fact these deals were also for the 5/11th sailing.

Glad I caught the balcony special!:)

Additionally, I believe Pity the Procrastinator is for new bookings only and I've seen at least one post indicating having a reservation months ago, and then tried to take advantage of it when the program was announced and were denied. So again, if you had booked months ago, it wouldn't have made a difference with regard to the promo.

Howard

i know that "Pity the Procrastinator" has been a recent promo, i was just making an example:D . i was just saying that "IF" i booked early, the balconies "MAY" have been available to allow me to book the lowest balcony and get a upgrade to a higher level balcony. BUT when i did book, the upgrades were not avaiable and , this late....just over 2 months before the cruise....i could not use the promo or a regular gty booking.

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked a few days ago for May 11th on the Spirit. Got a CC oceanview upgraded to a BD balcony for $549.00 A person. Went back today and it was no longer available. Thank God I didn't procrastinate. :)

Just a thought....booking directly with NCL does not mean that all the cabin categories (or cabins) available on a sailing are there for the booking. Many times NCL has sold off large blocks of cabins to TA's and unless you book with them and not with NCL directly you have no access to these cabins/categories.

If you want a particular cabin/category it would be a good idea to check with some of these cruise only or internet agencies to see what they are offering. Same ship, same sailing but you may get a better price and the cabin level you want.

Again, this is just a suggestion.

MARAPRINCE

Archived