Sydney Nova Scotia

tinykygal

By far the two most popular things to do are:

a) head west for the Cabot Trail or

b) head east for Ft. Louisburg

Note: I should say that i assume that is what cruisers do. We spend part of the summer up on Cape Breton.

Paul

Probably too late in the year, but Cliff Waters Retreat (cliffwaters dot com) is an amazing peaceful place in Cape Breton. The pics just don't do it justice. We stayed in the cozy Spinning Jenny cottage and woke up to a magnificent view from our bed. Jer and Niki, the owners, are absolute sweethearts.

By far the two most popular things to do are:

a) head west for the Cabot Trail or

b) head east for Ft. Louisburg

Note: I should say that i assume that is what cruisers do. We spend part of the summer up on Cape Breton.

Paul

I'd have to agree with Paul, he's listed your best choices for this time of the year!

Robin

Follow the 'fiddles' they post on the light poles. It's quite cute actually. All the way to town from the ship, they have placed placques of fiddles (for which Cape Breton is known) to show the route. It takes only about 10 -15 minutes to get to the center of downtown. There are a few cute stores there. Not too much.

Go to the Miner's Museum. You can tour a coal mine, guided by a retired coal miner who will tel you about the mining history in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Very interesting. I don't know if there's a pre-packaged excursion, but it's worth the trouble. Louisbourg is also very nice but probably more common.

I'm not a cruiser, but went there a few years ago by car. We had to ask for directions twice to get there, but it was well worth it!!

Go to the Miner's Museum. You can tour a coal mine, guided by a retired coal miner who will tel you about the mining history in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Very interesting. I don't know if there's a pre-packaged excursion, but it's worth the trouble. Louisbourg is also very nice but probably more common.

I'm not a cruiser, but went there a few years ago by car. We had to ask for directions twice to get there, but it was well worth it!!

Warning! The Miners Museum was very interesting.However they didn't tell us until we got there that the tour required walking stooped over for a half hour due to the very low ceiling in the tunnel!! Unless you are short, this is very uncomfortable.

This was a great tour for our family. It is actually under the ocean, so you really had to think about that, too. When we were in NS, Louisbourg was still in development. It was interesting, but not as memorable as the coal mine. Yes you do have to bend over if you are over 5 ft. tall, but it was worth it. The Cabot trail is a real beauty, as well. I would go west before I went east on this stop.

• 1 month later...

Depends what time of Year.

I agree Fort Louisburg is a great place to visit seeing you are in Sydney and not far. Have been there 3 times and always different.

See if the Talls ships are in during the summer or check the Blue Nose II schedule. Sometimes you can book a ride out of Sydney if they are around.

Mabou is a great little town to visit especially if you like the Rankin Family music.

Port hood has a great beach. Cheticamp is excellent for French food. The Galic College is a good place to stop for a morning or afternoon if they are playing the Pipes. All part of the Cabot Trail.

Lot's to do on both coasts of Cape Britian.

The mine tours are great as well as someone posted.

Ed

• 4 months later...

Archived