Motion Sickness for Kids

They make a childrens dramamine ( you can get it at Walmart, etc) we have used it on our kids for every cruise and since they were very little ( always split the tablets as small as possible when they were "toddlers" ) they have been cruising since they were in my tummy:D and have not had any problems with the childrens dramamine or being tired from it. ( BTW they are now 10, 9, 8 & 7 ) You can also try ginger tablets, I used those when pregnant and sailing :)

I don't have kids and am going on my very first cruise in July 08 but when I was out looking for Bonine, next to it there was a kids version. Not sure what the ages were for using it but I do know the "adult" version if you will is for anyone over 12. I found it at Walmart but before I'd buy it I'd ask my pediatrician/doctor if they feel it is okay to use based on any medical history your kids may have.

Also, I have seen the wristbands somewhere (sorry can't remember where) that have the "button" that presses into an accupuncture point that was not the large ugly SeaBand or Relief band things and they came in a very small size. These bracelet type bands were very thin and were not terribly expensive. If I find them while out again, I will post where I saw them.

My daughter is motion-sickness queen (gets carsick if it's windy, gets sick everytime we go up in altitude in the car, one year we got to Devner at 8 a.m., got a rental car and she was puking by 9:30, and has gotten sick on an independent day sail in St. Thomas).

But, she's never had ONE issue on a cruise ship. And we've done the Eastern one year when the crossing of the gulfstream (I think it's called that?) was so rough that the crew was walking around w/buckets (and this was on DCL which is a much smaller ship than the larger RCCL ships) and she was fine.

Hopefully it's a non-issue for your girls!

There is also candied ginger, though I haven't tried it. My 10yo ds had a couple of evenings of motion sickness on our cruise, both started at dinner. He seemed to feel better when he was in the cabin and not looking out a window. Guest relations gave me a packet of several Bonine and said to give him a half dose. I think it would have helped him more if we had given it to him before he felt sick.

My middle son at about age 6 suddenly started becomming airsick/motionsick, even though he never had a problem before that. We used Bonnine for him for theme parks, flying and cruising. He did very well with it, did not make him sleepy either.

The thing about seasickness is that you need to prevent it since once it starts it is harder to stop.

Mythbusters did a show about motionsickness, they concluded that the bands did not work, over the counter meds do work- but with possible side affects, ginger does a good job too.

Personally I tried ginger and it gave me a headache and everything tasted like ginger. But friends used it and it worked well for them, they did start taking it a couple of days before we cruised.

Best bet is to call your childrens doctor and see what they would suggest for the ages of your kids.

Hope you have a great cruise and your kids do also!

Bev

There is a Children's formula dramamine and a regular formula of Bonine. I would suggest buying the BONINE and here's why.

With dramamine you have to give it to the child BEFORE she gets sick. Then after you give it, you have a tired/cranky child on your hands. Dramamine even wipes me out.

The BONINE can be given AFTER the child starts to feel sick. It's a chewable and it works really fast.

The dramamine is useless after you are already sick. The bonine isn't.

So buy the bonine and odds are you won't ever need it.

Hi

My daughter and I get seasick in the bathroom and everywhere else. The sea bands work for me even in heavy heavy seas, which we have tested believe me. I don't even suffer the dizziness or sleepiness that some get. My daughter hates them though. She started with motion sickness at about 1 1/2 and we have tried everything. Gravol in a small dose (part of a pill or some of the liquid) would take the edge off when we first started her at about age 5. Recently I bought gravol ginger, there are two types, one dissolves and is like a gel candy, the other is a pill. We used to crush her gravol into jam or apple sauce when she was little, dd was a treat with meds, she couldn't swallow anything but liquids. She now uses the gravol ginger tablets (she also learned how to swallow:rolleyes: which is good because she is 21) and finds them to be quite effective. We tried the ginger caps and she hated them.

On a plane seat anyone who is motion sick beside the window as long as they can handle the height, it helps if what you see matches what you feel, the same goes on the cruise ship. If you are in an interior area and cannot see out you will feel worse than if you can actually see the ocean and watch as the ship moves.

I tried the sea bands because I can't take meds unless it is an emergency (serious drug allergies). I wear them before I get on the plane and any time I am on a bus or the ship is in motion. I even sleep in them. The little indents are annoying to look at and the bands look pretty dumb with a formal dress I will admit, but they keep me upright, allert and ready for anything.

Your attitude will help as well. As long as your child believes that what you are doing is going to work, it will help immensely.

My hope for you is that there will be no problems and your cruise will be everything your family had hoped for.

I think your doctor can give you the best advice. After all he/she knows your children and any other sensitivities they may have.

Remember, if you get sick on the ship you can go to the doctor on board, get a shot and poof all better. I can't imagine why more people don't do that instead of suffering for days! It really doesn't cost much.

There is a Children's formula dramamine and a regular formula of Bonine. I would suggest buying the BONINE and here's why.........

With dramamine you have to give it to the child BEFORE she gets sick. Then after you give it, you have a tired/cranky child on your hands. Dramamine even wipes me out.

When we cruise we always take something before even boarding.....makes no sense to wait until your onboard to find out if your child has a problem..LOL! My children have been cruising before they were even born, some took a few trips without even knowing it( lol) I dont feel safe enough to give them something( bonine) that is not suggested for children......but whatever you ( not you in general, everyone) feels comfortable with and whatever works :) But I agree with talking to your doctor before trying anything new :)

Edited to add that yes the regular dramamine will make you tired( good exscuse for naps though ;) ), there is a reduced kind ( is that the word I am looking for?? LOL ) that is why we stick with the childrens dose and even make it smaller than recommended. For all we know our kids may not even get sea sick but with as much as we cruise do you think I want to take that chance ?? LOL!!

Mom of 4 ages 10,9,8, & 7

Remember, if you get sick on the ship you can go to the doctor on board, get a shot and poof all better. I can't imagine why more people don't do that instead of suffering for days! It really doesn't cost much.

I've heard that it costs $150! That's pretty substantial, in my opinion.

To the OP: While the ingredient in Dramamine (dimenhydrinate) can be given to children as young as 2, the ingredient in Bonine (meclizine) should not be given to children under 12.

Archived