What 1 unique item do you pack for you 're cruise ?

travelscrapper

[quote name='Elequieu']A very small tape recorder is great because it is a lot quicker to keep track of what you do and eat. I love to play it back much later to see what I have forgotten. You would be surprised how much that is.[/QUOTE]

For long trips that I record, I also take the tapes to a transcriptionist and she types it up for me. If I waited til I got around to it, it would probably never get done.

She gives me a hard copy and the disk. I do the editing, then print and put it in a clear sleeve along with the photos in a album.

Can't live without 2 over-the-door shoe organizers - 1 for us, 1 for the kids' cabin. Also:

a travel corkscrew, lanyards for cruise cards, music CDs, my own soft pillowcase, Banana Boat #4 suntan oil, my own conditioner, and most of all, a travel mirror that suction cups to the desk mirror and telescopes out for putting make-up on comfortably.

If you find the music too loud in the show lounge (and we often do - wonder why they want to crank it up so much???), a pair of sound suppressors is very useful. They are for gun ranges, and take 23 decibels off the top. Except for extremely low talking, we can hear everything perfectly. Okay, they look pretty stupid, but comfort is a good thing. Nancy

I take one of those folders that a legal pad goes in...not sure what they're called. I put the pictures I buy on board in them so they don't get bent and I don't have to uncurl them when I get home. They are thin and lay on the bottom of a suitcase well. I also take a little bubble wrap for any breakables I might buy. If I don't buy any, I just leave the wrap and have more room to pack other stuff.

I will be cruising on VOTS on RCL on Sept 10 and cannot leave without my accordian-style sweater organizer. They hang in the closet and have about 10 levels to put sweaters in. (Not gonna be taking sweaters to the caribbean!) They fold up to almost nothing in the suitcase. They hold all the shoes, purses, hats, etc that would otherwise be on the floor or left in a suitcase. I also pack the plastic shoe tree to hang in the bathroom and put *everything* in it. Keeps the counter almost bare. I'm taking a garment steamer as well since the VOTS doesn't have a self-service laundry. I bought a *waterproof* scuba wallet on the internet to put money,credit-card and sea-card in while swimming/snorkeling. I haven't received it yet but knowing I don't have to leave these items in a beachbag on shore is reassuring! Also, buy waterproof cameras *BEFORE* you get on the ship since they charge an arm and a leg! Got mine at the big red bullseye. :)

Just got back from the store with the big red bullseye..... We bought everything mentioned in this thread plus more!!!!!! Can't wait for our 11/06 CP cruise. Now I need a used UPS truck to haul all of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Benmon, Glen Levit would be a wonderful way to start, middle and end a cruise.....

I have two large plastic storage tubs full of my "Special Cruise Stuff". You know, everything mentioned here and more. Well when I start packing my DH pulls the stuff out of the suitcase faster than I can throw it in.:mad: I've always manager to smuggle a few items in when his back is turned.:rolleyes: He has conceded that some of it has come in very handy, but that doesn't stop him from trying to keep most of it out.
On past cruises we haven't needed a fan, but I'm thinking we might need it on the Panamal Canal trip. I need to find a very small fan. I saw a couple of desk top fans at Sharper Image. One is a very small tower model, 8-1/2" tall by 4-1/2" at the base. The other is one that folds down to about 2-3/4" X 7-1/4". Anyone had any experience with Sharper Image products? There are pretty pricey, so want to make sure they would hold up.

Since shower space is limited, I have a mesh bag with 5 pockets to hold shampoo, conditioner, soap, razor and shaving cream. At the end of the mesh bag is two loops to place your washcloth through. This mesh bag comes with 2 attachments, one to hang over the shower head, the other to hang on the shower curtain rod. They sell them at K Mart. After the cruise, just laundry the mesh bag and place back into the luggage for the next cruise.

Cruising 9/25/04 on Caribbean Princess~~~:cool: ~~~:cool: ~~~:cool:

~Kathi~

[quote name='Shirleya53']
Why take a fan at all. Just lower the A/C.[/QUOTE]Someone on these boards indicated that the AC didn't always work as desired. It seems it depends on how many people leave their balcony doors open allowing most of the air on the ship to escape. If you've been to the canal and didn't have this experience, then maybe your correct and I won't need a fan. But if the ship is too warm, I won't be able to sleep and I'm not sure I want to take the chance.

Anyone with experience?

[quote name='Shirleya53']I just got back from Wal-Mart. I paid $1.50 for a small suction-cup toothpaste/brush holder and $3.57 for a small basket with two big suction cups on it to hold stuff in the shower or sink area.[/QUOTE][size=4][color=blue][i]Hi Shirley, What area of WalMart did you find these things? Was there Sat and couldn't find them at all:confused: Thanks a bunch!:D [/i][/color][/size]

Laura (Ourlol)... I loved the idea of the pop-up laundry basket so much I just did a search on the web and bought 3 -- one for myself, one for my daughter and her husband, and one for my sister and BIL. We're all cruising within the next few months and this is a great idea. I usually just bring extra plastic bags.

By the way, one trick I've learned, particularly when flying, is to line the top and bottom of my suitcase with large plastic bags. This protects my stuff in case they're left out in the rain or rotten weather and I can always use the plastic bags for something, either before or after the cruise.

[quote name='isabellmybell'][size=4][color=blue][i]Hi Shirley, What area of WalMart did you find these things? Was there Sat and couldn't find them at all:confused: Thanks a bunch!:D [/i][/color][/size][/QUOTE]

Our new Super Wal-Mart just opened two weeks ago in Longview TX.

[quote name='cactusrose']Someone on these boards indicated that the AC didn't always work as desired. It seems it depends on how many people leave their balcony doors open allowing most of the air on the ship to escape. [/QUOTE]
I'm wondering (Hoping! Praying!) that the Grand Princess will be the same as the Magic, in that the thermostat is "professionally" adjustable. My stateroom was too warm one cruise, even after having the thermostat on the lowest setting for quite a while, but I had gotten a tip on some other boards about just calling maintenance.

I called and asked if there was anything they could do, they said "No problem," came right over, and plugged some hand-held electronic thingy with a digital readout into a port at the bottom of the thermostat. He punched some buttons, unplugged it, thanked me for sailing Disney, and off he went. I could feel the difference very quickly, and my stateroom was nice and cool the whole week after that. I can't sleep if it's too warm, either!

So does anyone know if the thermostats can be "overridden" like that on Princess? *crosses her fingers*

-gina-

Great ideas listed here. The over the door shoe rack works out very well. I will have to get a hanging sweater holder. I can see where that would be very useful for shoes, bags, t-shirts, shorts, etc. My contribution to this great list: tacky fabric glue. Its great for hems that fall, small fabric tears, buttons that have fallen off, hair clips that break...well..you get the idea.

Hello,

I bring one of those water noodles to take to the beach. They bend very nicely and fit in a suitcase. The last beach that I attend I usually give it to a native. They are fun to have. My kids many times will have noodle races in the water. It beats blow up floats.

ML

To all of you shopping for pop up hampers, Walgreens (drug store in California- not sure about other states) had them on special last weekend for under $5. They fold down to MAYBE the size of a CD. Light, packable, and CHEAP!!
Happy Shoppin'

Oh Gina, thank you for this information. I really don't want to take a fan if I don't have to, but not sleeping will ruin my cruise. Sleep is very important to me. I like to be rested and alert when I'm having fun.:D

I also take the Pop up hamper. It's great. On longer cruises I can just carry it to the laundry room and back. Very handy. I got mine at Walgreens drugs and they were 2 for $5. I like the idea of the hanging sweater thing. It would be like having more shelf space.

[quote name='Shirleya53']Our new Super Wal-Mart just opened two weeks ago in Longview TX.[/QUOTE]
[font=Garamond][size=4][color=blue][i]I'm in Ok City, OK and we have Super Wal-Marts just about every 2 miles here. Think there are over 20 in the area I live in alone! I love um! [/i][/color][/size][/font][url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001"][font=Garamond][size=4][color=blue][i][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_18_4.gif[/img][/i][/color][/size][/font][/url] [font=Garamond][size=4][color=blue][i]Just needed to know what part of the store you found those things, I looked all over for them the other day. Thanks[/i][/color][/size][/font]

I also take the Pop up hamper. It's great. On longer cruises I can just carry it to the laundry room and back. Very handy. I got mine at Walgreens drugs and they were 2 for $5. I like the idea of the hanging sweater thing. It would be like having more shelf space.[/QUOTE] [url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001"][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_5_9.gif[/img][/url][font=Garamond][size=4][color=blue]They sale the little pop up hampers at the dollar store for a dollar:D Hehe, always looking to save, 2 for 2, makes a 3 $ save[/color][/size][/font] [url="http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001"][img]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_1_102.gif[/img][/url]

Archived