Carry on Bags

gizmo0013

We are driving to Miami and getting married then leaving for our honeymoon that day. I was wanting to know if we could both take 2 carry ons instead of checking them in? If so what are the size limits? I think the biggest we have is a 26". We just dont want to have to go through the check in and check outs. Its the Royal Caribbean Cruise Line.:)

They must be able to fit thru the Xray machines which are similar to the ones used at the airport.

We are driving and I have only been in a airport once and I was like 12 or so. So I dont know what size that is. And he has never been in a airport.:p

We are driving and I have only been in a airport once and I was like 12 or so. So I dont know what size that is. And he has never been in a airport.:p

Typical maximum size for a carryon piece of luggage on most airlines is:

22 x 14 x 9

Some airlines require even smaller, but for the most part that is the standard.

Sorry for the confusion but WE ARE NOT FLYING AT ALL. I just want to know about carryons for the cruise.

Relax, the cruise lines have the same xray machines as the airports do, this is why people are quoting airport stats. And yes, there's no reason why you can't just take two carry-ons each. This way you won't have to wait for your luggage. You'll have to have your formal attire pressed but what the hey. Congrats on the wedding and I hope you have a wonderful cruise/honeymoon.

About the biggest suitcase that will fit through the scanners at the port is a 22". You will have to check anything larger including your 26" with the porters.

It's actually easier to leave your stuff with the porters than to try and carry it all onboard the ship. It takes maybe two seconds max to hand it over to the porters and then you are on your way. It is not like checking luggage in at the airport.

To give you an example of what will happen when you board the ship, in the RCCL terminal in Miami, you first go up a long escalator, then you wait in line to go through the security screening, then you wait in line to check in, then you go up another escalator, then you walk along a hallway where you stop and have your boarding picture taken, then you stop and have your Seapass card scanned, then you walk along the gangplank to board the ship. Once you board the ship, one of two things will happen. If you arrive before 1 or 1:30 you will then have to keep your bags with you because your room won't be available yet. Otherwise you can take your bags directly to your room which will most likely involve either flights of stairs or a crowded elevator.

Coming off the ship, you don't have to worry about security screenings. My best recommendation for you is to check your bags with the porters at the beginning of the cruise but plan to do the self disembark option where you carry off your own bags.

Your 26" bags will not fit through the scanners, so you will have to give them to the porters on the dock. Some of the ship scanners are even smaller than the ones at the airport which fit a maximim of either 19" or 22 ".

I'm not sure what you mean by not wanting to go through check ins or check outs. Regardless of what you bring with you, or the size of your carry ons, you must check in for your cruise---there's no going around that. Also, it's extremely difficult to haul your own bags on the ship. It's very crowded on the gangway leading to the ship, it's very narrow with people coming and going. The elevators are extremely crowded and you may find yourself having to walk flights of stairs to get to whereever. Also, depending on what time you arrive at the terminal, you won't have access to your cabins until later, so you'll have to haul those bags with you whereever you go on the ship. It's just easier to check your big bags with the porters.

I have to add that disembarking (checking out) it's not real easy to try to haul a large, heavy suitcase along. You may have to use the stairs, you will have ramps to go over.

Just check your suitcases and take a smaller carry on with essentials and valuables. It really makes life and travel a whole lot easier.

BTW, a 26 inch case is not considered a carry on :) . The max size for carry on cases is the 22 inch mentioned above.

The size isn't as much the issue as the weight. We recently took our first cruise, and the terminal at Galveston was as bad or worse than McCarran airport in Vegas. We had a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way to lug all our luggage, especially on debarkation. Not knowing that we had WAY to much weight and too many carry ons. Next time I'm not taking ANYTHING in the way of luggage without wheels (and they're bad enough :( ). Just keep in mind you may have to haul 'em alot farther than you think. Keep them as small and light as possible.

My 2 cents,

JHC

As long as the carry on has wheels you should have no trouble carrying it on, if it's a normal carry on size (see size samples above).

I just got back from an RCI cruise...

I'm not sure of the process for driving but I would assume after parking, you'll wheel your bags to the terminal. At the terminal there will be porters OUTSIDE the terminal. If you do decide to check luggage make sure there is absolutely NO valuables in that checked luggage!!!!!

Bring all of your valuables in your carry on. I brought a 23 x 14 x 8 carry on and checked my larger luggage that contained only clothing and shoes. My carry on had my portable dvd player, books, cameras, purse, one change of clothes etc. All in the rolling carry on so that was all I had to take through the terminal.

Depending on the time you get to the terminal, if you are early (around 11 or noon), outside the terminal, you'll have to work your way through all of the people who just left the ship.

Once you get into the building, they will direct you to a line. You go through that line and put your carryons into the X-ray machine.

After the x-ray machine you go to check-in where you will show them your passport and get your sea pass card (room key).

After that, if you are early, they will direct you to a waiting room. Around 11:30 or 12 they will start boarding the ship (assuming there were no delays in getting the previous passengers off the ship).

Once on the ship, you will be wheeling your carry on around the ship until 1:00 PM when the rooms are ready. So keep that in mind, because the elevators may be busy so you may have to walk up stairs with your carry on, and you'll be eating lunch.

I went by myself, and managed to eat lunch with a rolling carry on. But that's also ALL I had. My purse was in the carry on, so I didn't have an extra bag to deal with.

My checked bag got to my room around 5, in time for dinner. Keep in mind that if you do check your bags, you may not receive them until after dinner so you will want to put a swim suit (if you want to swim right away) and a change of clothes for dinner....though usually the first night they are lenient with the dress code because they realize people may not have received their luggage.

BTW, I went on Liberty of the Seas out of Miami--it was a fantastic cruise!

Make sure whatever you take in the luggage line, it has WHEELS. I might suggest if you have prescriptions to either have a large handbag or take a 3rd much smaller carry on. Something that would hold your prescriptions and a few other items. You will be asked to put your luggage outside the door the night before you get off the ship. So, you need something that would hold your pjs and toiletries. Make sure you have another outfit to wear the day you get off the ship.

Archived