1 room or 2?

jessiec33

This will be our first family cruise and I have a question for you all. Since you are charged per person and not per cabin I wonder if it makes more sense for a family of 4 to book 2 cabins rather than one. I think the cost would be the same, am I right?

The 3rd and 4th person rate is usually cheaper which means it is usually financially better to put 4 people in the same cabin. Although on our Monarch cruise at the end of October the 3rd and 4th person rate was only $5 per person less, so we voted that for an extra bathroom and an extra closet it was definitely worth and extra $10. I think the 3rd and 4th person discount is usually much greater than that though.

It's usually best to price it both ways. Many times the 3rd and 4th passenger rates are highly discounted so make getting 1 cabin a great deal. Other times the 3rd and 4th passenger rates are very close to the 1st and 2nd passenger rates, so getting a 2nd cabin is a great idea.

I am currently looking and have found on some princess cruises that 2 cabins are cheaper than one.

This is what we are doing in March on Emerald Princess. Our rooms are next to each other. There were limited rooms that would hold 4 people and still have balconies, so we opted for this way. My daughter and I will be in one room and my husband and son in the other. Our balconies do connect, so we can put the kids to sleep or in front of a movie in one room and be on the balcony of the other room and still be able to get to them.

It really depends on the ship, cabin category, time of year.

For instance, you could be on a Carnival ship and the 3rd and 4th person rate could be as low as $145 per person. And RCCL has specials as low as $99 per 3rd/4th person from time to time.

But the 3rd /4th person rate can be high...we've gone as high as $1,000 each for the kids. So in that case, you could book an inside cabin for the same price.

But you would have to book one adult into each room. Also, you would have to select your cabins and put a "do not upgrade" order on your booking. Some people have reported being upgraded, then separated from their 2nd cabin once they got to the ship. And some have booked "Category Guarantees" and their children's rooms were down the hall from their room. Not good. ;)

I am currently looking and have found on some princess cruises that 2 cabins are cheaper than one. However, if the ship is mostly sold already, no guarantee that the cabins will be near each other or even on the same deck.

I just booked an inside and a balcony cabin on the Christmas sailing of the Norwegian Dawn. It came out cheaper than the mini-suite we were also looking at. They are down the hall from each other with about 10 cabins in between. The only way I could book it was to put the hubby and 9 yo in one cabin and me and the 15 yo in another. I guess we'll be bed hopping.

I would not have done this if my kids were younger.

Some people have reported being upgraded, then separated from their 2nd cabin once they got to the ship. And some have booked "Category Guarantees" and their children's rooms were down the hall from their room. Not good. ;)

That would be VERY bad. How do I get a DO NOT UPGRADE (except to garden villa)?

This will be our first family cruise and I have a question for you all. Since you are charged per person and not per cabin I wonder if it makes more sense for a family of 4 to book 2 cabins rather than one. I think the cost would be the same, am I right?

When our guys were little..ages 5 and 8, we had one room..on a Disney ship for a week...

then we have done 2 cabins with the boys mcuh older--one inside for them, and one balconey for us...and they would often come to our room for breakfast on our balconey etc...they were a little further from us then I would have liked--but not bad...

we have booked that again ---but are lucky enough to be an inside across the hall from them...

It meant not doing a guaranteed rate--as we had to guarantee the boys are close by--and I wanted to be sure we are in the same muster station...!!:eek: :eek:

as there are few insides on the x ship--- we are limited on where we are..but thats ok..we just aren't comfortable with them and a balconey alone....maybe in a few more years when they can be adjoining balconies

just our 2 cents..

Archived